Installation problem

Installation problem

by Chuck Zhang -
Number of replies: 11

version of Moodle (e.g. 2.8.3) 

1.What is the biggest size of file i can upload in this version?

2.I download the install pack of 2.8.3+ and press "start moodle"bottom,but after setting the password of data base,i click "next",then nothing happen.page turn in to blank p.s 2.0 is fine.i wonder what has happened and how to fix it?

Thank you all

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Chuck Zhang

Re: Installation problem

by Bret Miller -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

1. 512MB is the default in Moodle. Site Administration > Courses > Course Defaults, and of course, the settings for your courses. Your PHP settings must also allow that much data to be uploaded, in php.ini post_max_size and upload_max_filesize.

2.  In what OS environment? If you're talking Windows, you may simply need to delete the contents of the cache directory in moodledata.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Bret Miller

回复: Re: Installation problem

by Chuck Zhang -

Thank you very much,i'll try that and report the result 

In reply to Bret Miller

回复: Re: Installation problem

by Chuck Zhang -

I am using win7 and i have deleted the contents of the cache but the problem was not solved,i posted some pictures about this ,hope you can help me,thank you again.

Attachment 1.jpg
Attachment 2.jpg
In reply to Chuck Zhang

Re: 回复: Re: Installation problem

by Bret Miller -

I suppose I should install this package at some point so I can be more helpful. Here's the thing: while I'm a "Windows guy", my Moodle runs on Ubuntu.... so here's what the Installation FAQ says might be the problem (https://docs.moodle.org/28/en/Installation_FAQ):

Why are all my pages blank?

Check the dirroot variable in config.php. You must use complete, absolute pathnames (e.g.)

$CFG->dirroot = "/var/www/moodle";

Another reason might be that PHP has not been configured to support MySQL (or whatever other database you are using). This is common on RedHat and OpenBSD installations. In this case, an error is generated, but since error displays are often disabled by default, all that is seen on the browser is a blank screen. To enable PHP error displays see How to enable and check PHP error logs.

To determine if database support is your problem, insert this as the second line in your config.php file

phpinfo();

then reload the web page. Examine the output closely to see if you chosen database is supported. If not, look for a package you are missing.

Why is a particular page blank or incomplete?

• Check your web server log files!!
If a particular page is blank or incomplete (it doesn't display the footer), before you do anything else switch on Debugging and check your PHP error logs. Having established that PHP error logging is working, reproduce the error. Immediately check the error log file right at the end. Hopefully you will see a PHP error message at or very near the end of the file. This may solve your problem directly or makes it a lot easier to diagnose the problem in the Moodle forums.
  • If you are upgrading to a new version of Moodle, check that you do not have an old version of a non-standard block or module installed. Remove any such blocks or modules installed using the admin settings page and start the install process again. However, do also make sure that you have included all optional plugins that were required by your courses. This is particularly common with "editing on".
  • If you do not see any blocks listed, turn editing on and remove any blocks that you have added to that page and try reloading.
  • You may get this error immediately after selecting a language. At this stage of the installation process your Moodle computer may need to connect to the Internet and download a language pack, so check that the computer can access the Internet by using a browser. Check also that your PHP settings are as given in the Moodle Moodle Requirements page.

See also:

In reply to Bret Miller

回复: Re: 回复: Re: Installation problem

by Chuck Zhang -

Thank you so much for all you have done,i tried 127.0.01,but still the same,i will try other way you told me to solve this problem.

thank you again 

In reply to Chuck Zhang

Re: 回复: Re: Installation problem

by Bret Miller -

Then there's this discussion: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=73852

I'm not sure whether it still applies to Windows 7, but you might try setting the permissions on moodledata and/or using http://127.0.0.1 instead of localhost.

In reply to Bret Miller

回复: Re: 回复: Re: Installation problem

by Chuck Zhang -

I found php_error_log,it keeps saying the following things:

PHP Warning:  file_get_contents(D:\Program Files\Moodle\server\moodle/theme/): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in D:\Program Files\Moodle\server\moodle\install\css.php on line 41

Is something wrong with my php setting?

In reply to Chuck Zhang

Re: 回复: Re: 回复: Re: Installation problem

by Bret Miller -

Hmmmm. Looking at css.php, it's trying to get the contents of a file, but passes only a directory to the function. I think it will always get that warning, and it probably doesn't affect the install process.

I second Howard's suggestion of turning on debugging. Click on "debugging" in his message to get the documentation for it.

In reply to Bret Miller

回复: Re: 回复: Re: 回复: Re: Installation problem

by Chuck Zhang -
Ok,i'll try that,thank you again