Discussion forum on the frontpage

Discussion forum on the frontpage

by ola shoubaki -
Number of replies: 4

I have added a discussion forum on the frontage for students from all courses to be able to access and interact with each other.

However there is no 'add new discussion topic' button seen by them so they can't seem to use it.

Can anyone direct me on how to solve this? Thank you.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to ola shoubaki

Re: Discussion forum on the frontpage

by Derek Chirnside -

ola, I have a vague memory that this has to do with "membership" or role of the front page.  Something like "default role".

Others can comment further maybe.

-Derek

In reply to Derek Chirnside

by ola shoubaki -

Hi Derek,

Thanks for your input, but I wasn't sure how to make use of it Im afraid! What it did lead me to do though was check the permissions on the front page, and students currently DO have permission to 'start new discussions'. So again, not quite sure what to do!

Attachment Screen Shot 2015-02-28 at 22.07.13.png
In reply to ola shoubaki

by ola shoubaki -

Oh wait, do you mean this setting?

Attachment Screen Shot 2015-02-28 at 22.07.13.png
In reply to ola shoubaki

by Paula Clough -

Ola,

Usually on the front page, students are not students. They get that role assigned in their courses. This way instructors can be students in a professional development course but teachers in their own courses. On the front page of a Moodle, everyone has an authenticated user role.  Some modules can be set up with permissions so they will work on the front page with Authenticated User given permissions, but some (especially quizzes) haven't seemed to work that way. Not sure about forums.  You can try adding that role to your forum and see if it works.

Hope that helps.

cool

Average of ratings: Useful (1)