langmenu not showing

langmenu not showing

by Emad Haddad -
Number of replies: 7

Hello everyone,

I am developing this website for a client of mine - it is my first time touching moodle and it has been a pain. 

I am using a theme called Portal which is beautiful but can't seem to get the language menu to show. I made sure that it is selected in the admin settings and added 'options' => array('langmenu'=>true), to the config settings. I see in the core css there is styling for the langmenu specifically but can't find it anywhere else in the code and it's not showing on the site. I've checked through the forum and mdl tracker before posting but can't seem to find a solution. 

Any thoughts?

Is there a code block I can insert in the header or general php that would force it to show?

(here is where the website is being hosted at the moment http://www.sgdesigns.us/

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you all in advance. 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Emad Haddad

Re: langmenu not showing

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

As Portal is a commercial, paid for, theme it is unlikely that anyone in the community has access to it.

In these circumstances the normal advice would be to consult the theme providers who you bought it from and who should be providing support as part of their service.

In most themes this language menu is now added as part of the custommenu. Take a look at the renderer in bootstrapbase if you want to do it yourself, but as I suggested, your first call should probably be the commercial theme author as the may have done things differently.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Robert Brenstein -
Furthermore, you should not have to modify the config.php to activate the lang menu. It is normally activated in the site settings, including specification of languages to list. Of course, all extra language packs must be properly loaded.
In reply to Emad Haddad

by Mauno Korpelainen -

Have you added any language packs to Site administration > Language > Language packs

If the only language there is English (default) no language menu is shown.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Mauno Korpelainen

by Emad Haddad -

Thank you both for the help and advice. 

I read a few docs on custom menu and found that the theme is "compatible" and has all the proper code in the general.php. I copy/paste the example menu into the custom menu field to test it - still not showing. 

I'll try contacting the theme author. Maybe. OR...

If anyone can suggest a theme (or a place with themes) that is highly customizable and mobile/responsive. This theme is giving me so much trouble it's not even worth the time and effort picking away at it. 

Thank you all again

Blessings,

Emad

In reply to Emad Haddad

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Well the obvious place to start is the plugins database here on Moodle where you will find over 100 themes (some more upto date than others, but the database will tell you that) - anything based on bootstrap should be fine as that has been the core for Moodle Themes for the last few versions. They are also all free and supported through the community here.

In reply to Emad Haddad

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Renderers are inherited if your theme has Bootstrapbase theme as its parent, so there should be no need to copy the renderer for the language menu. In fact most of that renderer is just a copy of the core renderer and should never have been added to Bootstrapbase.

What is more important is that you have ...

1. Installed all your language packs from Site Administration > Languages > Language Pack
  2. Ticked the box in the language settings that allow the menu to appear on your site.

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators

I would like to add to Mary's list:

3. Make sure langlist (Site Administration -> languages -> language settings) is empty OR contains more then one language - if there is only one language in the list, the language drop down is not shown.