How do I make it easy to download their submissions?

How do I make it easy to download their submissions?

by Tina Smith -
Number of replies: 27

I know there is a thing called portfolios, and that looks like what I'm looking for...what I want is for parents of students to be able to get into their classes and download all their submitted work. I'm doing classes for homeschoolers and we like to be able to file away all our kids' work.

But when I figured out how to do this, it looks like the file it downloads from portfolios is an html file. Not really usable. I was looking for something parents could actually use to print and store in a binder or hand into an ed coordinator at their local homeschool charter, if they like...maybe a .doc or .txt or a .pdf??  I'm not seeing how to do this so far.

Can someone help me please?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tina Smith

Re: How do I make it easy to download their submissions?

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

But... if your home-schooled students are uploading work to Moodle then surely it must be on their home computers already so why do the parents need to download it from Moodle - can they not just get it from their child at home? 

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Tina Smith -

Yes, but I'm just having them type answers in the box....not upload files. So, yes, if they were creating things in Word and then uploading that, yes, I can see that would be silly....but these are young kids, many of whom are just learning how to type on the computer...and I'm teaching them how to do online research and type in a WYSIWYG box for the first time. And I'm teaching them how to upload images. 

So it's the answers to the questions that I want the moms to be able download.

In reply to Tina Smith

by ben reynolds -

Take a look at the various reports users can do for themselves. Complete report ought to show all that typing along with pictures and anything they said in forums. Print the complete report, and your folks are in business.

Since these are young kids, you should be aware that the default Moodle timeout is about 30 minutes. We extended it here to 2 hours because little kids take so long to type stuff.

In reply to ben reynolds

by Tina Smith -

How does that work if they are watching an embedded video? Does that keep Moodle active? Because I have some hour long videos for them to watch...I'd hate for the whole thing to timeout in the middle.

And how do you change the timeout time?

Going to go look up the reports info, thanks Ben! I don't even know where to go anymore...I keep finding things and then losing them again. Goodness it's easy to get lost in Moodle! 

In reply to Tina Smith

by ben reynolds -

Timeout

If users don't load a new page during the amount of time set here, Moodle will end their session and log them out.

Be sure this time frame is long enough to cover the longest test your teachers may offer. If a student is logged out while they are taking a test, their responses to the test questions may be lost.

https://docs.moodle.org/26/en/Session_handling#Timeout

An administrator can change the following settings in Administration > Site administration > Server > Session Handling.

An hour long video is a very large file size as well as very difficult to sit through.

In reply to ben reynolds

by Tina Smith -

Thank you! I'll check that out!

Good to know!

My kids watch hour long documentaries or PBS videos like Nature and Nova all the time. They're 9 and 14 and have been watching for years. I know lots of kids that love these shows too, and they're all about an hour. I don't pick boring shows. smile

Also, I'm not uploading the videos, I'm just embedding YouTube videos...so I don't think file size is relevant?

In reply to Tina Smith

by ben reynolds -

File size won't be relevant if you're embedding. Good for you!

If you're using 2.8+, the Atto editor saves whatever is typed every few seconds. Not sure what happens when watching an embedded video. Below 2.8, stuff typed is not saved, if I remember rightly.

In reply to ben reynolds

by Tina Smith -

Aw damn. I'm using 2.6.1. My host hasn't updated it yet (although they said it would be updated like 2 weeks ago) and I just don't have the time to dig into how to do it manually right now.

Does anyone know for sure if this is the case that it doesn't save the typing for assignments in 2.6.1?? I am going to be really upset if that's the case because I told them they would be able to download it since that what I read.

In reply to Tina Smith

by Just H -

I think things are getting confused; the saving in Atto is autosave while you are typing in case of losing internet connection etc. nothing to do with you being able to download submitted work as per original query.

In reply to Just H

by Tina Smith -

Ok, good to know, thank you!

So now I've FINALLY updated to 2.8.1 and still I cannot figure out how to make this content downloadable. I have enable both Google Docs and download file. The download file ends up being something that will be unusable for my parents (html)...and the Google Docs doesn't appear to work. Takes me to Google Docs and nothing is there.

All I REALLY want is for parents to be able to go and click a link and download everything their child typed in that course to a readable file like pdf or maybe .doc or .txt.....is this possible? Why is this so complicated? I haven't told them yet anything about this because I can't for the life of me figure out how to do it myself yet!

Can someone please walk me through the process of how this works? I know this is user error here....I just need help figuring it out.

In reply to Tina Smith

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I have never seen such a feature described in the many years I have been following these forums. Moodle has no feature for easily downloading all content keyed in by an individual user, it was not built around such a requirement. There are ways of creating parental roles to allow parents to view things like assignment submissions and grading by a students, a search will find content describing that.

In reply to Marcus Green

by Tina Smith -

It was my understanding that the portfolio feature would do this. I am referring to everything keyed into the assignments...the stuff they type in the box they get when they click the "Add submission" button.

From everything I read, this was something that was possible. I just cannot get it to work.

In reply to Tina Smith

by dawn alderson -

Hi,

these links might be useful:

https://moodle.org/plugins/view/block_exaport

https://docs.moodle.org/28/en/Portfolios

I also know there was an OU plugin...OUmy stuff....but I cant find it/recent detail about that.

D

In reply to dawn alderson

by Tina Smith -

I'm still very confused on how to work portfolios...thank you for the links...the 2nd link looks like it may have some info that might help me.

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to make these work, still, though! I have portfolios enabled but I cannot figure out how to actually use it.

I wish there was a super user friendly tutorial video or blog post with lots of pics to explain the step by step process! Everything I've found so far isn't quite as straightforward as I'd like.

In reply to Tina Smith

by Tina Smith -

I found this "article" that looked like it would have the info I needed: https://docs.moodle.org/28/en/Capabilities/mod/assign:exportownsubmission

But there's nothing there!

This also says that they can export their assignment submissions: https://docs.moodle.org/28/en/Capabilities/moodle/portfolio:export

But I'm just not clear on how to actually do this, apparently, as it's not working. I don't want it exporting as an html file because families won't know what to do with that. They'll need a file like pdf or .doc

And I thought Google Docs would be the answer, but it doesn't appear to be working.

I really wish I could get this figured out because I'm still completely lost....and the more I Google and read on the web, the more confused I'm getting. I think there must be a piece of this that I'm missing that is confusing me. If someone could just explain this to me in a simple way, I think I could finally get it! HOW does this work??

In reply to Tina Smith

by dawn alderson -

Honest, it does appear that the issue of portfolios keeps cropping up....time and time again:

re: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=278381 

something that could do with becoming a priority, I have heard it in practice too.....

mmmmmmm.....will think more about it and chat.  

In reply to dawn alderson

by Tina Smith -

It is possible that I have the wrong impression of what a portfolio is....I have to keep reminding myself that Moodle was designed for higher learning like in colleges and more structured learning like in public schools....and I'm using it in a very alternative way, as enrichment classes for homeschoolers (which is going AWESOME, by the way!)

But I have read in quite a few places that you are supposed to be able to do this exporting of your own submissions....so I don't think I'm entirely crazy for expecting for it to be able to work, LOL!

In reply to Tina Smith

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

If set up correctly and you do have a Google drive account then you should be able to export but I haven't tried this recently and I know Google have changed some things recently (I will check) That documentation page is not meant to have the instructions as it is part of a set of pages which just defines the "capabilities" of Moodle. Here is the page for Google Drive portfolio with an example as an  html file.

In reply to Tina Smith

by Tina Smith -

Even after all these responses and time, nothing's changed....I'm still completely confused about how to make it so the parents of my students can download the things that they've typed into the assignments.

I have created parent accounts and started linking students to parents, so they are able to log in and look at reports...but I don't know how to explain the reports to the parents because I'm still quite confused by them!

I just want activities to show as completed, no grades (I don't do grades, or even check the kids' work....these are homeschoolers and I leave that to their parents....I'm just providing a learning environment for them to explore and thrive in.)   and I would like there to be a report of what activities the children have completed, PLUS a way to download (and print) the actual words the kids typed in as responses to activities.

For example, I often have embedded videos or webpages for them to watch or explore, and then I ask them to type in the  box 3 things they learned from that video or whatever. I want these submissions to be downloaded in a format parents can easily download and print. PDF would be perfect, but .doc would work as well....

I've enabled Google docs and it doesn't work. Nothing happens when I try to export (plus not everyone used Google docs)....and the file option doesn't work either...it doesn't give me anything that I can actually read, much less a file I can print and show as example of work!

I'd sure like some help here....I am extremely frustrated because I've been now about a month working on figuring this out and no answers. And everything I read on the web or in these forums is irrelevant, or for a different version of Moodle or just no content! (The official doc pages I found were blank!)

Isn't there ANYONE that knows the ins and outs of Moodle to help me sort out how to do this???? Or at the very least, explain to me if it's not possible? And maybe a workaround? I need to have something to tell my parents, and I NEED to be able to print up my son's work!! HELP!!!!

In reply to Tina Smith

by ben reynolds -

Just taking one piece at a time.

> I'd sure like some help here....I am extremely frustrated because I've been now about a month working on figuring this out and no answers. And everything I read on the web or in these forums is irrelevant, or for a different version of Moodle or just no content! (The official doc pages I found were blank!)

Well, if you have blank pages in Moodle docs, you've got a browser problem. Probably security. Moodle documents covers so many versions, and I've never received a blank page. Is your .js that's javascript turned on?

In reply to ben reynolds

by Tina Smith -

I remembered it wrong....they weren't blank, they just had no info on HOW to do it, just WHAT it was. So many of the Moodle Docs I've found have been extremely helpful because not only do they explain what something is, but they are giving me the exact path to find where to go and tell me exactly what to do....those articles (and I've found a LOT of them!) have been FABULOUS! But this specific one:

https://docs.moodle.org/28/en/Capabilities/mod/assign:exportownsubmission   

has no info on how to do it.

In reply to Tina Smith

by ben reynolds -

Parent reports/student reports/teacher reports.

You need to enable the permissions. Course admin > users > permissions > check permissions > filter >  student > activity > View activity report > allow > save changes (bottom of screen)

This allows students to view their own activities. They can find a complete report and print it.

In reply to Tina Smith

by ben reynolds -

Activity completion.

Unless Mary Cooch has some quick solutions, I'd turn if off until you understand it. I've been through at least 3 self-inflicted glitches. As a homeschooling outfit, you don't need to enforce this. Yet.

It's a great thing, but it takes a lot of understanding of what you are asking. Unless your numbers are huge, you can do this manually.

In reply to ben reynolds

by Mary Cooch -

Hello Tina - quote: The official doc pages I found were blank!)

Could youplease give me the exact URLs of those blank pages so we can ensure some content is added to them? That would be helpful, thankyou.

Export to Google docs will only work if the parent has a Google drive account. I think the File download portfolio works but I am not sure it works everywhere. It's been a few years since I tried it out. You can try it here from the student point of view;

1) Click on this link to an assignment on the School demo site: http://school.demo.moodle.net/mod/assign/view.php?id=715 2) When prompted, log in with username student and password moodle

3)In the section "file submissions" click "export to portfolio" and then choose "File download" and Next - leave it at "File" and then download. It should download as a sample ppt, which is the original format of the uploaded assignment. I haven't tried other types, such as online text, but I will do so and document what I find.

I think what you are wanting to do (have parents download their child's assignments in an easy way) hasn't had much consideration before. I think if it is mainly text assignments you could perhaps point them in the direction of doing a print screen or saving as pdf or webpage from the browser, rather than trying to use a workaround with Moodle.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Tina Smith -

I actually linked to it above, when I first mentioned it: https://docs.moodle.org/28/en/Capabilities/mod/assign:exportownsubmission

But I just went there again and I see that what I originally meant was that it didn't tell me anything about HOW to do it. Just WHAT it was.

I've been doing the export to Google Docs with my account and it just opens up Google Docs, but there's nothing exported...just shows me the files I already have in there. Nothing from Moodle.

In reply to ben reynolds

by ben reynolds -

Here's a sample of a complete report. It's a .png, but print to .pdf will do the same thing.

shows 3 forum submissions from a complete report

In reply to ben reynolds

by Tina Smith -

Thanks, Ben, it's nice to see what it looks like...is that an export of a forum post?