Upgrading from 2.7.3+ to 2.7.5 failed using git

Upgrading from 2.7.3+ to 2.7.5 failed using git

by Riady Santoso -
Number of replies: 6

Hi all,

Previously, I upgrade our Moodle site from 2.7.1 to 2.7.3+ using Git Pull, and it worked seamlessly. But, just then, I tried to upgrade our moodle site from 2.7.3+ to 2.7.5 using Git Pull.

-----------------------

Updating 0ac6d59..3272728

error: Your local changes to the following files would be overwritten by merge:

report/completion/index.php

Please, commit your changes or stash them before you can merge.

Aborting

----------------------

I tried to find solution by stashing the change but had no luck to proceed with the upgrade.

If I can have some guidance in regard to the above, that would be great

regards,

Riady

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Riady Santoso

Re: Upgrading from 2.7.3+ to 2.7.5 failed using git

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

IF the site is still 2.7.3+ (check of verison.php file will tell) suggest making a tar ball archive of the code directory AND get an SQL dump of DB as pre-upgrade backup of site.

Did you edit/change: report/completion/index.php

git stash doesn't work?

Work-around?

cd report/completion

cp index.php .index.php

That keeps a hidden copy of index.php by a file - moodle will ignore/git not looking for it either.

Then rm index.php (remember, you have a backup of that in [dot]index.php)

Run the git pull.

When the pull runs it does show what files are being upgraded.   Check for report/completion/ listings.

If git did 're-install' index.php then one can compare them:

cd report/completion/

diff index.php .index.php

(note the 'dot' in front of the second index.php).

'spirit of sharing', Ken

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Ken Task

by Riady Santoso -

Hi ken,

Thank for the prompt guidance - I'll give it a go and let you know the outcome.

regards,

Riady

by Riady Santoso -

Hi Ken,

spot on guidance and I have successfully upgraded our Moodle site to Moodle 2.7.5+

Many thanks to you

regards,

Riady

by Ken Task -

Welcome.   But ... if you did edit that index.php file and the git pull 're-installed' it, you've lost those changes made to it.   Please check to see if that area still functions as expected.

If you didn't edit that index.php file, then .... what did?

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Riady Santoso -

Hi Ken,

I have edited the index.php for course completion (To allow scroll bar to appear due to long list listed on completion report). At this moment, the default report seems working quite well with the current theme that I'm using, so I can live with it.

If I may ask another question - when I upload users into a group using csv file, it's getting more and more frequent that the screen goes blank, even though the users have been uploaded successfully. Will it due to the caching matter?

We are at the moment, hosting our Moodle site at AWS, using 2 load balanced servers

regards,
Riady

by Ken Task -

You probably should start another posting ... although I don't see a forum that appears to lend itself to the specific issue ... general help, maybe.

But, having said that ... am not familiar with your hosting environment, but 'blank screens' *could* mean the process is timing out.   That's a guess.   What are the settings for how long a script can run in PHP?

So, turn on debugging, upload users using your process and let's see if debugging kicks out anything at all.

In addition to that, check server logs access_log, error_log for the script that was being used ... off the top of my head, dunno what that would include but seem to re-call the word 'bulk' in there somewhere.

Those csv files are just text and should be small ... uhhh, how large are yours?  So it's a processing thang, I think.

'spirit of sharing', Ken