Video website link

Video website link

by Eric Kightlinger -
Number of replies: 13

I want to link a website video that has a password to get into the website. Basically i want the course to be a video and then create the quiz questions to answer after watching the video.

How can i do that?

I have tried to upload the link into my private files, but nothing comes up or is saved.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Eric Kightlinger

Re: Video website link

by john Simpson -

How did a video happen to be protected by a password. That would mean that every student would have to be a member with their own password to access the video.

Under normal circumstances, I would simply copy the link where the video was, then paste it into the editor, sometimes it might be necessary to hyperlink it. No need to upload videos.

Just like this: copy and paste

In reply to john Simpson

by dawn alderson -

No John-the OP wants the Quiz linked with the video....we are talking about a gap...now, colleagues-shout if I am wrong-I know you will.  Embed-esness-I think is what is the issue here...and can be done. 

Video+quiz is something, I think Tim is surfing with, Martin too, I and poss others.....but we need a bit of time....a short bit of time,please bear with us-back soon.

In reply to dawn alderson

by john Simpson -

Its his first sentence that's got me stumped. A password protected video?

In reply to john Simpson

by dawn alderson -

OK.

We know choice is important.  So, Open & PP....?  Options important but not necessary....unless I see a firm rationale for password protected...moodle-course-site-ownership can be PP anyway....or am I wrong? System can do that-but not the point.....

Point is: potential to engage a wide audience....key word....engagement when  developing new....I could be wrong.   

In reply to john Simpson

by john Simpson -

Maybe I'm missing something here.

I've just tried out creating a quiz question with video. In the quiz you have a question Atto text editor, just like the one you have on this forum. Insert a question in it, then copy the link from the video source, and then paste it below the question. If the the link is not working, click the box in your editor, it's the one above second on your right, called media. Paste the link again and enter.  When you begin the test, the video will be there, or click the preview button.

Also, when you first edit a quiz, look down at the bottom list for extra restrictions on attempts, it then says password restriction, with the option to place a password

Does that help?

And of course moodle is password protected, and only those with a password can do the quiz.

In reply to john Simpson

by dawn alderson -

so we are polishing our veneers then....righty-o

Does everyone want PP....is it an option to not have it...i.e for a MOOC.....and any other context-bound event?

In reply to john Simpson

by Eric Kightlinger -

haha. I think i have confused yall.

I subscribe to a website that i pay for. I have a log in and password for the site, but do not want to give it out. But, i want them to be able to watch the video. I know how to hyperlink websites and videos. But, with this video being password protected, not the moodle site, i am trying to figure out how to get it on my moodle site. I also, can not save the video and upload it to the site, nor can i put it on youtube.

Basically, i want to have a link to the video that automatically logs in the user to be able to watch it.

Yes, i will have a quiz on the video back on my moodle site. But, that is not the question.

Does that help and make sense?

by john Simpson -

Is it your video? Can you put it on youtube, with a deal that not everybody sees it, except your students.

How can you link your students(or users, or staff, whatever) to a password protected video, without giving them the password?

Or automatically login? Something needs to be done with your subscribed website, before moodle can handle it. Sorry, but I don't think moodle is into hacking.

by Chris Wharton -

The whole reason that the videos are password protected, is so people without those credentials can't see it wink So there is no easy way of doing this.

Vimeo does allow site-specific embedding https://vimeo.com/help/faq/managing-your-videos/privacy-settings . That could be an option.

You could create a Moodle plugin that automatically logs in to the video site when the files are requested, but that doesn't seem appropriate.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Chris Wharton

by Gisele Brugger -
Hello Chris, 

I use Domain Restrictions to play my videos in moodle using accont Vimeo PRO.

But in app dont play videos  show this message: 
"because of its privacy settings , this video cannot be played here"  in app 

But im browser in and mobile its OK.

I found this in Vimeo Site: https://vimeo.com/forums/help/topic:105037

"We use the domain restrictions feature for internal use and this works well via web and mobile however the mobile app we use (Jive) which pulls all data from the mobile site via an API does not allow for the videos to be viewed. (tried both Iphone and Android versions of the app)"

Vime sad: you can pull your own domain-restricted videos by using the Advanced API, however note that you'll need to register your app first -developer.vimeo.com/apis/advanced

You may also be able to use oEmbed as well - developer.vimeo.com/apis/oembed

and this: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/18692372/play-vimeo-domain-restricted-videos-on-mobile-app

Its possible ?  i need to create a advance API? or developer moodle plugin Mobile?

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Eric, I can see what you might be wanting to do.

For example, if I subscribe to Lynda.com, I might want to provide all my students access to it by passing my credentials, within Moodle.  I am not sure if this could be done, but URL links in Moodle do provide "URL variables."  I have never used these but maybe this is what you are looking for.

As others have commented, with some video sites, the company expects each user to have their own account, so sharing may be prohibited by license.  But this issue is one that you can figure out.

There might be some why to use "query strings", but this is highly dependent upon your video provider.

by john Simpson -

Another idea if all else fails. Contact the copywright owner of the video, and make an arrangement with him/her. Explain you need it for educational purposes in moodle, and that the video will only be shown to an allocated number of users, as moodle is also password protected. If there hs to be an agreed fee, then decide if it's worth it.