Selecting a theme for alternate devices

Selecting a theme for alternate devices

by Richard Miller -
Number of replies: 2

I'm running Moodle 2.6, and see the following in this documentation:

Different themes may be set according to 'device type' - default, legacy (for older browsers), mobile and tablet.
Go to Administration > Site administration > Appearance > Themes > Theme selector
Click on the "Select theme" button next to the type you wish to change...

I've gone to this area of my Moodle installation, and see the title "Select theme for device", but underneath is just a list of themes with a "Use theme" button next to each one.

In other words, there doesn't seem to be anywhere to choose a specific type of device.

Am I misunderstanding the documentation, or is something missing from my site?

Attachment Screen-Shot.gif
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Richard Miller

Re: Selecting a theme for alternate devices

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi,

As the information says, you can choose a theme to use on the different device types as mentioned, Basically these are a Desktop computer, a Tablet and a Mobile. The Legacy option is really for those user stuck with IE6, so unless this concerns you, we can leave that one out.

To actually see the page that those different device type options are on, means you need to make sure that Detect Mobile Device Types is selected in Site Administration > Appearance > Themes > Theme settings.

That done if you go back to the theme selector page the set of four options will be visible. Just chose a theme for each one that you think you would prefer to use.

For example you could have Afterburner theme as your desktop choice, and Tablet, and Clean for your Mobile device theme.

Clean theme is fully responsive so that is better on Mobile.  Afterburner too is responsive in that it does scale down to a small size but looks better as a Desktop or Tablet theme. Any other Moodle theme in 2.6 look best as Desktop themes.

Hope this helps?

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

Re: Selecting a theme for alternate devices

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Further to my last comment, here is an image of the Theme selector page with the different options.