Hidden categories clickable in essential breadcrumb

Hidden categories clickable in essential breadcrumb

by Peter Haasdijk -
Number of replies: 14

Hi,

Last weeks i spent a lot of time doing google searches about the breadcrumb trail in the essential theme.

Due to various reasons i have a number of courses that I make available through a hidden category. Now i don't want users to be able to click on a hidden category in the breadcrumb trail and see the other courses in that category.

When I login as an admin I can see these hidden categories being italic and light gray in the breadcrumb. Apparently the code recognizes these categories  as hidden. So i guess it should be possible to make these categories not clickable for users. However i can't find a solution for this and have no idea where to start myself.

Any ideas would be most welcome here.

Thanx,

Peter

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Peter Haasdijk

Re: Hidden categories clickable in essential breadcrumb

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

https://docs.moodle.org/24/en/Course_categories

Chapter 4 - https://docs.moodle.org/24/en/Course_categories#Hiding_categories

Explains it in detail.

To test use the Moodle Demo site, you will find  link to it at the top of the page. Login in as Admin, create a Category, hide it and then login as a Student and see if you can find it!

Hope this helps?

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Peter Haasdijk -

Hi Mary,

Thanx.

This chapter doesn't say anything about the use of breadcrumbs. The problem is not if a student can or can't find a course. The problem is that the hidden category name is visible in the breadcrumb trail AND clickable is. Clicking on a hidden category results in an error (unknown category) and thats not nice.

The attached file shows a category ("diensten") below the hidden category ("extra"). I don't want the hidden category clickable in the breadcrumb.

http://www.platformvoorprofessionals.nl/course/index.php?categoryid=10

Peter

Attachment mary.gif

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Is the functionality the same or different in the Clean theme?

In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Looking at Essential's navbar() method in core_renderer.php and the parent version in /lib/outputrenderers.php then they are functionally the same in this context.  Thus this issue would be true of all themes.

by Peter Haasdijk -

Gareth,

The functionality is the same. The results ditto.

Peter

by Gareth J Barnard -

In that case you need to copy this: https://github.com/gjb2048/moodle/blob/MOODLE_28_STABLE/lib/outputrenderers.php#L3138-L3182 into Essential's core_renderer.php file and adapt it.

by Peter Haasdijk -

OK Gareth, thanx.

I'm afraid i need a little assistance here. I get the copy part of your message (just completed the copy paste exercise) but how do i adapt this function?

Peter

by Gareth J Barnard -

Hi Peter,

I've shown you the door, for me to decorate the room for you transitions into work for me and thus time = money.

Kind regards,

Gareth

by Peter Haasdijk -

Didn't see that coming. Thanks for now smile

by Peter Haasdijk -

Gareth,

Thanx for showing me the door. I finally managed to make the function available in core_renderer.php. Unfortunately this does not work as desired because the function doesn't see the difference between a hidden category and a visible category.

I did some testing: the $item is never hidden, except for the admin. Which seems strange to me while this function is available for all themes.

Peter

by Gareth J Barnard -

Does 'Extra' have the class 'dimmed_text' added to it's link and do the others not have it?

by Peter Haasdijk -

Gareth,

Sorry for the late response. Because I did not find the answers I was looking for on the forum I decided to let the matter rest. So, I have reorganized the site and no longer use hidden categories. At least for now.

Thanks for the help.

Peter

by Gareth J Barnard -
Hi Peter,

I've just looked at this again and in fact there is no problem to solve.  This is because the core Moodle decides against the roles / capabilities etc. if a hidden category appears for a user.  If it does then its dimmed by the theme in terms of styling, but should be still clickable as the user has access to the hidden category.  If however, they are a 'student' then the category will not be presented to them in the first place.  Just tested on my dev system with a 'student' account to verify.  Therefore if its shown, then it should be clickable to see what else is in that category.

Cheers,

Gareth