Only lowercase letters allowed

by Alwin Morgenstern -
Number of replies: 3

Version: 2.8.2

I am new to the moodle platform. I hope to get some quick start here. I have managed to load a few moodle files.

Now I try to make some changes to the admin registration, change name, email etc. but I am not able to do this. I am getting this error:

Hope some one can help me what is wrong.

Is there somewhere a quick-start video series for moodle? What plug ins are recommended? Any help is welcome.

Thank you

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Alwin Morgenstern

Re: Only lowercase letters allowed

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Can you be more specific... can you give us an actual example of what you are doing and when you get this message?

Usernames in Moodle are lowercase only and emails are case-insensitive anyway (not just in Moodle).

My recommendation is no optional plugins. That is until you ever identify a specific need. All optional plugins have the potential to give you pain at upgrading time.

by Mauno Korpelainen -
I have seen this same error message when site has self enrolment enabled and admin tries to use bulk user actions to delete such users who have empty name fields (the whole name is empty). This kind of situations might occur when for some reason all data in user fields are not correct and moodle somehow still saves new user without a name (a person tries to create a new account with the same email that is already in use?). In moodle 2.5 the same bulk user actions worked ok.

So it is most likely a bug - and probably connected to https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-46232

by Mauno Korpelainen -
I just checked that in my case those users causing failure in bulk user action deletion had empty email field. They had started to create a new account but had not finished all fields.

Do you have phpMyAdmin or some other tool to get direct access to database and table mdl_user ? It would be easy to check and change your admin email with it (can be done with sql commands as well)