Only 1 item in the Activity Chooser for adding resources/activities

Only 1 item in the Activity Chooser for adding resources/activities

by James Easton -
Number of replies: 12

Hi, I'm using the Essential theme latest version 2.8.1 plugin on my Moodle platform version 2.8.2

Currently trying to write a course for EFL language teachers and when I wanted to 'add a resource or activity', the activity chooser window popped up with only ONE item inside i.e.Forum. Normally in the activity chooser there are around 15 activities and 8 resources.

Please see screenshot attached

Would anyone know why this is happening or how I can add activities and resources?

Thanks in advance,

James

Attachment Screen Shot 2015-01-23 at 09.57.19.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to James Easton

Re: Only 1 item in the Activity Chooser for adding resources/activities

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

If you change the theme do you get all the items or still only one item?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by James Easton -

Hi Mary,

if I change the theme will I lose anything from the platform e.g. Front page set up? Or will it just re-position items?

James

btw - the MOOC course is great. Am trying to transfer the course from the Teaching Moodle site to my platform and it's no go. Hence the decision to re-write it and create it directly on my platform.

In reply to James Easton

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi James,

I found a free moment.  Ok, I have been thinking about it.  So, what 'course format' is the course in - look in the 'course settings' on the 'administration' block.  It might be that its 'social' and could only allow forums.  Or that there is something wrong with the installation.

If you change themes you will not lose content (unless its content in the theme settings, which for you there should not be in this instance).

Kind regards,

Gareth

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by James Easton -

Hi Gareth,

really appreciate you finding time - know you are incredibly busy.

The course was in 'topic format' not 'social' - but thanks for the tip anyway.

Thanks also for answering the doubt regarding losing content if I change the theme.

The answer is below from Raul Fernandez,

We can do much more, with more people. More than we can do alonesmile

Thanks again,

James

In reply to James Easton

by James Easton -

Bingo!

I was worried that as the Moodle version I am using is 2.8.2 and my Essential Theme plugin is still 2.8.1, there might be a conflict. 

A colleague, Raul Fernandez, told me that I had the activities and resources disabled in Course Management settings. 

As this was the first time I was using the theme I had inadvertently neglected to activate activities in Course Management settings.

Thanks anyway smile

In reply to James Easton

by James Easton -

However,

I still have the problem also mentioned at the beginning of this thread to restore a course that was written on the MOOC Moodle Course platform.

I did the back up , downloaded the file, went to my Moodle Platform with Essential theme, went to Site Admin and 'restore' and it wouldn't accept it.

James

In reply to James Easton

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Oh hello James - sorry -just noticed your  name! Fancy meeting  you here! What error message to do you get exactly? Can you try on your own Moodle making a new empty course and then clicking Restore from this new empty course >restore into this course. (If that doesn't work then I will split this discussion thread to start a new one on restoring)

In reply to James Easton

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

RE: "I was worried that as the Moodle version I am using is 2.8.2 and my Essential Theme plugin is still 2.8.1, there might be a conflict." - no conflict as 2.8.2 is the version of Moodle and 2.8.1 is the version of Essential - the two are not connected, only related as I make sure the 2.8 bit of Essential is the same as the major Moodle version the theme is written for.

by James Easton -

Hi Gareth,

Understood and comforting to know.

Should I always update to the latest weekly build for 2.8? My host site administrator says it isn't necessary to do it every week e.g he says that we could use update 2.8.5 in the future and that way cover 2.8.2+ (the current stable version which he say is unnecessary) and then of course 2.8.3; 2.8.4 etc etc

Thanks,

James

In reply to James Easton

by Gareth J Barnard -
RE: "Should I always update to the latest weekly build for 2.8?" = no = only developers tend to do that.

by James Easton -

Hi Gareth,

Perfect. Now I can sleep safely smile

Cheers,

James

In reply to James Easton

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

If you wait a couple of months or so you can upgrade to Moodle 2.9