D2L pricing

D2L pricing

by Yoann NA -
Number of replies: 4

Hey all,

Would you have a price range of D2L licenses?

It's the type of info that is impossible to find...

Thank you smile

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Yoann NA

Re: D2L pricing

by Derek Chirnside -

Just out of interest, Canvas seems to have overtaken D2L "in US HE" according to one set of research:

http://edutechnica.com/2014/09/23/lms-data-the-first-year-update/

And just curious: have you asked D2L?

-Derek

Old I know: http://www.academia.edu/1929574/Learning_Management_Systems_-_Cost_Benefit_Analysis

In reply to Derek Chirnside

by Yoann NA -

It seems so. Canvas has limited features compared to D2L but is way cheaper to set up and has the most important features you need to teach a class and have people interact. They also are doing great work integrating with other tools.

Ive used the free platform and loving it so far.

On the pricing Ive reached out to them but it always takes a while to have the various conversations with the vendors. (In d2ls case, you need to layout the modules you'd use before setting a price)

The cost benefit analysis is nice but incomplete (source don't work and details around the thinking are a bit low)

Thank you all for your feedback!

In reply to Yoann NA

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

Also, some of the assumptions in that analysis are more than a little dodgey I would suggest. You are unlikely to go to a vendor's website to get negative or unflattering information on that vendor's product. Some of the costings are a little off too, I would think. Essentially, the only real difference between products is the licensing costs, the hosting costs are going to be similar across the board, self hosting is also the same, unless the hardware requirements are exorbitant, as is the case for something like Citrix. Bottom line is there are three issues to consider, of which cost is not one. 1)How do we host? External or self?  2)Ease of learning to use? Steep learning curve or not?  3)Overall usefulness? Each product has good things, each has not so good things, which one suits our requirement best? 

I would suggest here that anything else is an excuse to do what the people who are either influencing the decision makers, or making the decision, actually want. Been there, done all this several times, logic and commonsense make little or no headway against a predetermined decision.