Submissions have draft status even though Require Submit Button is NO

Submissions have draft status even though Require Submit Button is NO

by Nancy Webb -
Number of replies: 7

In Moodle 2.5.9, sometimes submissions appear with draft status even though assignment settings have NO for "Require students click submit button."  Status shows as Draft (not submitted)

The file is available to teachers, but being in draft status means it isn't included in the number of submissions that need grading on the assignment page.  Luckily the files can be opened and graded, After they are graded, in the grid of student submissions it still shows Draft (not submitted)  for submission status, and Graded for grade status.

Today one teacher had all morning submissions with correct submission status, but in the afternoon suddenly files submitted show Draft status. Except for one.

Has anyone else had this happen?

How can a student upload but not submit a file when there is no submit button? Now there is no submit button for them to complete the submission process.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Nancy Webb

Re: Submissions have draft status even though Require Submit Button is NO

by John Provasnik -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Hi Nancy. I use Moodle 2.6 and this sometime happens to us.

If you set the assignment settings to "Require student to click submit button -- YES" then a submit button will appear for the students when they upload their work.  If students upload their work and FORGET to click the submit button, it wll display as a Draft on the teacher's end until the student goes back to the assignment and clicks that submit button.

However, If you se the assignment settings to "Require student to click submit button -- NO" then there will be no submit button for the students. They simply upload an assignment and it automatically is submitted. If a student decides to update the file, then when they upload a new file and clicks save, then the assignment will re-submit for a new grade (though the old grade will still be visible until a new grade is entered).

In the second scenario, drafts will occur if a student starts to upload an assignment, but no save it, or clicks on the upload a file, but never actually upload a file.... or at other times, they just come in as drafts. We had three kids' assignments come in as drafts this morning. We just had them goin, and re-save the assigment, then the appeared correctly. 

In reply to John Provasnik

by Nancy Webb -

Thanks for your answer,  John - our big problem turned out to be that in the assignment settings, file submission type had PoodLL checked by default for all assignments.  When we unchecked PoodLL as a file submission type, the problem went away for new submissions. (PoodLL was a new choice with our recent upgrade.  The administrator was able to change that default.)

I believe sometimes files will still be marked as draft for some unknown reason.  Since the files are actually uploaded and there, it's only a bother because they say draft.  Also there is no notice that there are files submitted that need grading.  Instructors have to view the assignments and sort by submission date to find the ungraded assignments.

In reply to Nancy Webb

by darryl ******** -

I discovered a very simple way to solve this problem.

Ensuring that the cut off date of the assignment is later than the current date.

Then  I went to the assignment submissions, clicked on the 'edit' dropdown list (button) for the draft assignment, chose 'Edit submission' then clicked on 'save changes'

voila !!

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to John Provasnik

by Li Yun -

I submitted my document on 9 July on moodle, but now I checked again and it still show draft (not submitted). However, when I submit, I checked submitted but I did not know why it did not save my work.
However, in this situation, teacher can see my draft and able be read it to marking?

In reply to Li Yun

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Yes, teachers can see Draft submissions. However, you probably need to be asking this question in your institution as different institutions may have different policies with regard to what they consider 'submitted' - the reason being that a draft submission can still be changed by a student, so some institutions MAY not accept this.

Your institution would also be able to look into the logs to confirm submission dates etc to comply with any of their policies.

Richard

In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Li Yun -

Hi,

Yes.

The teacher mention that she will marking whatever is online.

In other words, my draft can be accept, right? because teacher can check It.

In reply to Li Yun

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

As I said, you really need to speak to your tutor and your institution as I (or anyone else in the Moodle community) cannot speak for your institution's own policies.