How to disable additional name fields?

How to disable additional name fields?

by David Rogers -
Number of replies: 12

Hello Everyone,

I noticed after upgrading to 2.8.1 that there are a number of new sortable fields such as "First name - phonetic" and "Surname - phonetic."  

The tracker for this new feature is located here: https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-46921

We don't use these fields and it's confusing to our users to have them visible. Can they be hidden or disabled?

Thanks!

David

Average of ratings: -
In reply to David Rogers

Re: How to disable additional name fields?

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Good question David! I've taken a look around but can't see any way of removing the additional name fields from the enrolled users page in a course or when browsing the list of users on the site as an admin. They aren't shown on the participants page in a course though.

If nobody replies with a suggestion for removing the additional name fields, please feel free to create an issue for it in the Moodle Tracker. If you post the issue number in this discussion then others can comment and/or vote for it to be implemented.

In reply to Helen Foster

by Melissa Benson -

Has anyone created a tracker item yet?

In reply to Melissa Benson

by Melissa Benson -

Okay, looked around and I couldn't find anything. I created a ticket for this: https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-49742 . Please vote!

The CSS isn't really working for me..still having those /'s look really bad, worse than having the unnecessary fields show imo.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to David Rogers

by Torsten Händler -

A fast way is to hide it with css.

#id_moodle_additional_names {display:none;}

In reply to Torsten Händler

by David Rogers -

Hi Torsten,

I was able to use this CSS to hide the sort options but the middle slashes are still there. Any easy way to hide those too?

.subheading_alternatename, .subheading_lastnamephonetic, .subheading_firstnamephonetic {
    display: none;
}

Thanks!

David

Attachment 2015-01-12_1034.png
In reply to David Rogers

by Just H -

Hi David, thanks for the CSS tip, did you manage to figure out how to get rid of the superflous "/"?

In reply to David Rogers

by Torsten Händler -

got a new solution

in your settings Administration > Site administration > Users > Permissions > User policies

you have under fullnamedisplay  

alternativefullnameformat   change the value to 

firstname, lastname    

at my moodle it works

In reply to Torsten Händler

by Melissa Benson -

Ahh, wait I think this does work. I was only looking at the full name format. I think changing that alt. full name does indeed work! I wonder if this has any side effects?

Attachment Screen Shot 2015-04-01 at 11.31.28 AM.png
In reply to Melissa Benson

by Melissa Benson -

Hmm, now what bothers me is that the width isn't wide enough. With all of the fields showing it made it wide. Now it breaks earlier and it makes the names look too squished...I know picky but does anyone know how to change that?

Attachment 1.png
Attachment 2.png
In reply to David Rogers

by Donna Hrynkiw -

Create an issue in the Moodle Tracker, David. I'll vote for it.

Hrynkiw

Kwantlen Polytechnic