SCORM on mobile devices

SCORM on mobile devices

by Jane Moore -
Number of replies: 10

Hi

I administer two sites, both running Moodle 2.7.1+ (Build: 20140814) and I have enabled 'web services'; both themes have been specifically designed to enable mobile. Whenever I access the site through an android or iPhone/iPad device, the SCORM tests in my courses don't display. It gets as far as displaying the launched page which is blank ... it's also not launched in another window as I've checked that too.

I have also tried accessing the site via the Moodle Mobile apps downloaded from the Play / App stores and the problem remains.

Can anyone help as this is driving me crazy and I don't know what else to try ....

Thanks

Jane sad

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jane Moore

Re: SCORM on mobile devices

by Ron Meske -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Jane,

What did you create the SCORM courses in and how did you publish them?  

Articulate and Captivate typically output to a Flash format which will not display on mobile devices (phones and tablets).  You will need to output to HTML 5.  If that isn't the case, what testing have you done on a computer with the SCORM tests and which browsers have you tried?

In reply to Ron Meske

by Jane Moore -

Hi Ron

I created the SCORM packages in iSpring Quiz Maker 6.2.0 and I use the 'Publish to LMS' option which outputs it to HTML. The tests work fine on all PCs and have tested fine in Chrome and Firefox [results in IE are a bit hit and miss].

Any suggestions would be very welcome.

Jane smile

In reply to Jane Moore

by Przemek Kaszubski -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Hi,

I too use iSpring - do double check that you have HTML5 output checked on Publish.

Also, do NOT disable "Student skip content structure page", especially if you choose the package to display in the new window (which I do.)

HTH,

Przemek

In reply to Przemek Kaszubski

by Jane Moore -

Hi Przemek

It just says export to HTML on my version of iSpring, there is no option to choose HTML5 specifically ... I also do not disable "Student skip content structure page". The tests work perfectly on a PC, just not on a mobile device or iPad.

Thanks for your reply though! smile

Jane

In reply to Jane Moore

by Jez H -

I don't think any of the iSpring 6 products supported HTML5 and so they wont work on iPads.

HTML5 support came in with the iSpring 7 set of tools.

You can download a free trial to test with which will let you export watermarked content which you could test with.

If you are academic / non profit organisation you can get a good discount on their poduct''s which are very good IMO, if you have a version 6 license you can pay an upgrade fee.

iSpring Presenter and Suite 7 are great if you can raise the funds, both include Quizmaker. They offer much better mobile support in Moodle than anything else I've looked at.... but I'm afraid you are going to need the latest versions if you want them to run on iPads.

In reply to Jez H

by Jane Moore -

Hi Jez

That's useful to know about iSpring 7 - I was thinking of upgrading anyway and I suppose I'll actually have to do it now. Unfortunately we're not an educational organization so won't qualify for a reduced fee.

Many thanks for the tip though.

Jane smile

In reply to Jane Moore

by Przemek Kaszubski -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

I too meant Presenter 7 (with Quiz Maker 7 bult in) when I first answered. Sorry for the confusion.

In reply to Przemek Kaszubski

by Jane Moore -

No worries; thanks for your help. I've now upgraded to 7.0 (I needed to anyway) and hopefully it will make a difference.

Jane smile

In reply to Jane Moore

by Jez H -

Yes it will! The publishing settings I use are:

• combined (flash + html5)
  • Do NOT use iSpring Viewer in Moodle, leave that off
  • SCORM 1.2

Combined flash / html5 will allow it to render on whatever is best for the device being used to access it.

Whilst the mobile app is nice it cannot authenticate in Moodle. If you are uploading as SCORM into Moodle you need it to play in the browser which is why you must leave that iSpring Viewer option off. If you don't then iPad users wont be able to access at all as it will keep launching the app for them.

I just got iSpring Suite and think its great, better than articulate than Moodle as its HTML5 conversion is better, articulate rely more heavily on their mobile app which is no good in Moodle.

In reply to Jez H

by Jane Moore -

That's great Jez, I'm going to test the settings you give - I've just upgraded to iSpring 7. I'll be a very happy bunny if I can get this to work.

Thanks everyone for your help, much appreciated. smile