Newbie Quest. - Popup Window

Newbie Quest. - Popup Window

by Tim Edsell -
Number of replies: 7

Does the Book resource allow for a popup window to be opened when the link is clicked?  (Currently, my test book opens a new tab or changes the present page to the linked material.)

If so, what settings do I need to review/turn on?

Thanks

(v. 2.8.1)

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tim Edsell

Re: Newbie Quest. - Popup Window

by Anne Roberts -

Hi Tim

Yeah, I have been struggling with that one, too - and I am also a newbie - but I might have a solution:

If you think your code is correct, switch to student-role, where for some reason the pop-up will work correctly!

But if you think the problem is with your code, then that's a little more tricky. I had started to draft some instructions, but...erm...Christmas celebrations got in the way big grin

In reply to Anne Roberts

Re: Newbie Quest. - Popup Window

by Anne Roberts -

Hi Tim,

Here's the instructions. 

GoogleDrive

I hope they solve your problem 

In reply to Anne Roberts

Re: Newbie ? - Video Popup Window

by Tim Edsell -

v. 2.8.1

I'm revising my original question.  From within Book resource, I want the student to click on a link that opens a pop-up window (or opens a new tab, preferable) for them to view a specific video in larger dimensions (full screen).

Currently, when I click on "media", and then select the correct video, it embeds the video into the chapter.  Or, if I try to link to the video, it embeds the video the same way.

Any ideas?

thx,

Tim

In reply to Tim Edsell

by Anne Roberts -

Hi Tim,

From various experiments, I have a solution. It might be a bit long winded, but it works for me.

First, go to your Course Home Page, and add the video as a resource. Make sure this opens in a New Window. You'll then have a link, from the address bar. Use this as the new URL for your video - If you want full screen, you might have to tweak the video-code a bit - You can then delete that resource from your Course Home page

The new URL needs to contain 'pluginfile', not 'draftfile', so this one will work:

http://moodle.bournville.ac.uk/pluginfile.php?file

but the version below just tells Moodle to display, or embed the image on the page

http://moodle.bournville.ac.uk/draftfile.php file=/211540/user/draft/992492675/SatNav.jpg

I think it's because within the Book Resource, the properties of Open Media, or Open Link are restricted, so the student is not tempted to go 'outside-the-book'. Everything that they need, is wrapped inside the book, so to speak

Hope this helps

Cheers

Anne

In reply to Anne Roberts

by Tim Edsell -

Hi Anne,

Thank you for all of your replies (I took a little break from this topic).

I understand and have the file opening into a new window (YAY!) with the plugin vs draftfile reference correct.

(now if only it would play...I have audio, which may be the way that I have rendered the video...I've tried both QuickTime and mp2 with no success...hmmm).

A further ?...since I have uploaded the video(s) into my private files, I thought it would be better to link to the file vs. making a copy.  For efficiency purposes, which is best?

In reply to Tim Edsell

by Anne Roberts -

Hi Tim

Good to hear you got the file to open in a new window smile

Once you have the plugin URL, you can do exactly the same with any file type that is supported by Moodle

Re: Audio

I think mp2 is only a sound file. If you want moving pictures with (or without) sound, it has to be an mpeg3, or something similar like a .mov file.

Perhaps the thing to do, is practice on a little video clip, that you know works fine (I made one of the washing machine that lasted 10 seconds, but it had sound and some movement) And then I played about with different file-types, compression, file-size, etc. Also, the recording device needs to be set up to capture the best quality available

Re: Efficiency

Common sense would say, don't make a copy just have a link to your private files. But I think it is also about attaching all the required resources to your book, so that it is self-contained. If at a later stage, you decide to copy the whole thing into another course - or perhaps even share it with another tutor, they might not have access to your private files

You might want to consider storing very large files in 'the cloud', maybe Dropbox or Google Drive. But sometimes it good to just push at the boundaries of Moodle to see what it can handle...

Have fun...

In reply to Anne Roberts

by Tim Edsell -

Anne,

Thanks again for your feedback.

MP3 = sound, MP2 = video.  I'm working through this as the video plays fine w/in the book (default embed settings).  I'm pretty sure it's a matter of finding the correct format which MOODLE will support for HDMI (original format) to be converted to that will display properly in the pop-up window.

Lots of experimenting to do...(long nights!)