send email

send email

by Martin Koops -
Number of replies: 10

I have succesfully installed moodle some months ago and I am experimenting with it and enjoying it.

Now I have become in need of sending e-mail. This feature does not work in my installation and I cannot fnd directives for it. If I missed something obvious please let me know and I will stop bothering the community here. "

Untill then: "I installed RedHat 9.0, (being a newby I do not really know all features that are ''switched on"). Is there anything i need to take care of to make Moodle send email on forum contributions e.g.?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Kind regars,

Martijn

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Martin Koops

Re: send email

by Przemyslaw Stencel -
You have to set up cron. It's a script that is executed at regular intervals and which does some administrative jobs for moodle (including sending out forum emails)

See http://moodle.org/doc/?file=faq.html#cron
and http://moodle.org/doc/?file=install.html#cron
In reply to Przemyslaw Stencel

by Martin Koops -

Thanks for the quick reply.

Is there a way to check if cron is running correctly?
Is it possible that the line */5 * * * * http:// etc... is the only line in my crontab?

I ran cron from the browser as advized in the install manual. Crin was run successfully according to the reply, but shouldn't I get a whole bunch of old, but never sent, emails?

kind regards,

martijn

In reply to Martin Koops

by Martin Koops -

Looking around in the settings from my distribution,  I found a choice in the email program between smtp and sendmail. I do not know sendmail, but does this mean that i do not need to specify a smtp server?
Is it wise to set up a smtp server on the linux server and use that? or is it impossible being behind an IP I got from my provider?

kind regards,

Martijn

In reply to Martin Koops

by Lev Abramov -

Martijn,

if you need help, let me know: I did have the same (or similar) problem and have found the solution (at least for my hosted situation). I hope I can walk you slowly through this if you get in touch, by showing you the steps I took to make it work and the settings I made or changed while doing it. You will then be able to make the necessary adjustments and do the same with your installation.

Best -

Lev

In reply to Przemyslaw Stencel

by Martin Koops -

Thanks fro all the advice. Unfortunately I still have problems sending email. I know that Cron is working fine and the jobs are being executed. The email does not leave my server though, as it is being send to root@localhost.localdomain. This is a Linucxproblem. Are there any linux-guru's out there who can help on this one?

kind regards,

martijn

In reply to Martin Koops

by Patrik Nilsson -

I am not a guru but know some linux but what are you running as smtphosts: in your moodle settings?
And is the user login correct if there is one.. some smtphosts is just open so you just leave that blank.
Also if your running a firewall maybe that is stopping ?

In reply to Patrik Nilsson

by Martin Koops -

Patrick,

I am not sure about the smtp host thing. In the server settings of X windows screen in redhat 9.0 no mail server is emntioned. I do not know how to check in the text beased environment.

I also am not sure what user logins I have set in linux.

I do have a spool/mail directory thogh with 767 email moodle tried to send on account of apache from localhost.lan, localhost.localdomain or things like that. All these emails about noit being able to send the messages.

So moodle does a good job sending the email but I fail in directing it out the machine...

Martijn

In reply to Martin Koops

by Patrik Nilsson -

Well in your moodle installation under admin there is something called configure variables.
In there you have to set smtpserver, if that is blank I assume moodle try to use sendmail in linux.
But then you need to have that running and configured. So what you can do is look in your email program ( I assume you got a working email program where you send mail ? ) in thoose settings you should have a smtp server set to your Internet provider wich you send your mails through. So use that smtp info you probably got from your internet provider and you don't need to fill that into Linux just fill that info into moodle under configure variables.

In reply to Patrik Nilsson

by Martin Koops -

Patrick,

After a lot of other business and trouble I am back in Moodle business. the solution with the smtp server set in the config variable screen does not seem to work.

Any other suggestions?

kind regards,

martin

In reply to Martin Koops

by Peter Kappe -

My solution to a simulair problem was:

admin variable window:

smptserver: localhost:25

Athentication variables empty

Where localhost:25 was dirived from the PHP Info screen SMPTP Server and SMTP Port.

Hope maybe this wil help you solving your problem if it is not already solved!

Regards, Peter Kappe.