Which researchers are active on Twitter?

Which researchers are active on Twitter?

by Michael de Raadt -
Number of replies: 14

Do you know of educational technology researchers who are active on Twitter?

Who should we follow for a Moodle-related ed-tech discussion?

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Michael de Raadt

Re: Which researchers are active on Twitter?

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Some obvious OU ed-tech folks (on the academic side. I am not listing developers here). I am probably missing some obivous ones, but it is a start. Mostly not terribly Moodle-specific.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Natalie Denmeade

by dawn alderson -

Hello Natalie,

this is a useful list and when we add it to Tim's it appears there is some great stuff on Twitter-eh.

Now, Natalie, I won't fib-I have actually seen a list like that before-no doubt about it....handed to me by a piglet....yes, a piglet who likes to leave the group to step outside the status quo.....and funnily enough, today I went to one of those xmas outdoor farm/centre spaces -such as we have here in Wales.

Let me show you what I mean by the straying piglet see pics....the old girl gave birth to seven of them.....awwwww what a picture-I should say...but the one full of adventure was just so hilarious....the one that got away-and followed its own pathway!!!!!!!!

Muse....mmmmmmm........twas W.B.Yeats who had a muse to inspire his work...my favourite poet and of course Muse the band have a great and related moodle-esque tune known as plug-in baby...one of my favs....

for that reason....I quite like the hashtag moodlemuse.....catchy eh smile

D

Attachment IMG-20141213-00466.jpg
Attachment IMG-20141213-00472.jpg
In reply to dawn alderson

by Justin Hunt -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Seriously Dawn, I think you should keep 90% of your post focussed on the topic and in vocabulary , grammar and sentence structure that non native speakers can follow. 

A little personality here and there is good, but just a little. But you just hijacked Michael's thread with pictures of your encounter with a few Welsh pigs. I'll play my "straight to the point" card here and say "stay on topic or stay off the forum"

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Justin Hunt

by dawn alderson -

sorry blush

by dawn alderson -

Hi there,

Been thinking about this thread...and in response to a couple of deleted posts that were here, but now gone...I shall unpick things in a bit of depth....hoping that this post does not get deleted too.

It appears that I struggle a bit with the culture here at moodle.org...to be expected really...I mean if you think about it....I have only studied online for five years with the OU, engaged with a couple of MOOCs and actually taught online too...so I am not used to -as I say- the 'culture' here.  Thus, it has taken me some time to get the hang of communicating 'to please others'-others where there is an imbalance of power in the space between them and me (my view-which I am entitled to right).  

And, sure enough to support this remedial ability of mine: I received this from the moderator here:

I am sorry to inform you that an increasing number of your forum posts in Moodle in English are being reported to moderators due to their off-topic and inappropriate content. Some posts have subsequently been deleted. As Justin Hunt replied in the discussion 'Which researchers are active on Twitter?' in which you posted pictures of pigs, "I think you should keep 90% of your post focussed on the topic and in vocabulary, grammar and sentence structure that non native speakers can follow."
As mentioned in our site policy
https://moodle.org/mod/page/view.php?id=7080we need to "Show respect and consideration to others at all times". Posting content which is difficult for native speakers to understand, let alone non-native speakers, is inconsiderate and makes it hard for people to follow the discussionThus I am requesting that you kindly follow Justin's advice and refrain from posting off-topic content in future.

This tells me that I am simply not competent enough to be here-right...and so I have previously stated in this forum, the following points:

1.  Am hectic-busy and have projects-oppts and what-not.....but it may be that Martin and I will collaborate in the foreseeable future.

2.  It was great hanging out around here....lots of nice peeps

It seems, I am not the only one who posts with personality, tangents and so on...because this is the 8th post I think in response to the question:

Do you know of educational technology researchers who are active on Twitter?

of which the simple answer is not very many 'researchers' in the sense of scientific research (if we exclude Tim's list).

Sean posted earlier an interpretation in an attempt to understand my post....that has been deleted by the way-I wonder if it will come back smile anyway....Sean, you can interpret any post in whatever way you wish as long as you understand the knowledge you have created from interacting with others' ideas, views and 'TRUTHS' ha ha.

with my very warm wishes

Dawn 

by Sean Dicks -

Although there is merit in keeping discussions strictly on topic, I feel that this discussion group should be run in a way that reflects the way Moodle can be used in the field.  I am new to the Moodle environment and I have been doing reading about the use of the platform in various settings.  A suggestion that I have encountered seems relevant here.  It has been found that off-topic conversations help to generate a sense of closeness and community.  The trust that develops there is then valuable as users collaborate around on-topic matters.  Some researchers suggest the creation of a "coffee-club" on the site that allows for these off-topic conversations and the building of relationships.

In any case, I agree that a balance needs to be found between being strictly on-topic, and allowing people to be themselves (which may include drifting off topic).  It has also been found that groups should have clear guidelines and "rules of engagement.  When it is necessary to remind someone to stick to these rules, it should be done in a way that does not extinguish their contributions but guides them back on track.

If this was an online learning situation, the lecturer / teacher would have to step in and manage the conflict that has arisen.  Rather than see the present situation as a disaster, I feel it provides an opportunity to experience the types of things that happen online and consider solutions.   The present situation can be taken as an example of a social issue encountered while using moodle.  It is as important to look at these carefully as it is to fine-tune the technical aspects of online forums and learning analytics.

In reply to Sean Dicks

by dawn alderson -

Hi Sean,

this sounds about right to me.  

As for this:

I am sorry to inform you that an increasing number of your forum posts in Moodle in English are being reported to moderators due to their off-topic and inappropriate content. Some posts have subsequently been deleted. As Justin Hunt replied in the discussion 'Which researchers are active on Twitter?' in which you posted pictures of pigs, "I think you should keep 90% of your post focussed on the topic and in vocabulary, grammar and sentence structure that non native speakers can follow."
As mentioned in our site policy
https://moodle.org/mod/page/view.php?id=7080we need to "Show respect and consideration to others at all times". Posting content which is difficult for native speakers to understand, let alone non-native speakers, is inconsiderate and makes it hard for people to follow the discussionThus I am requesting that you kindly follow Justin's advice and refrain from posting off-topic content in future.

In view of your post then.......it remains bullshit to me.  I cannot follow the logic in that.......as it stands anyone who posts 'incorrectly' gets the nauseating elevated stance from Justin, then that is marked useful..then highlighted in the useful blurb-front page at Moodle.org...nice touch eh......and a shitty email from a moderator............is that encouraging a newbie to return......no-it says stay away if you do not 'wanna build a snowman'-in one way only......oh dear Frozen reference there....off-piste.....ski-slippage...........

learning and teaching......good practice..........down to good moderators-see Quiz forum.

ciao

In reply to Sean Dicks

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Sean - with reference to your comment Some researchers suggest the creation of a "coffee-club" on the site that allows for these off-topic conversations and the building of relationships , just to remind everyone we have our equivalent, which is our Lounge where people are welcome to  go and chat socially.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by dawn alderson -

useful-ish Mary.

But there is always risk of being told one's views are not very cool -right?  Frutiful practice Mary? 

by Sean Dicks -

Thanks for letting me know about the lounge Mary, I was not aware of it.  To Michael, Justin, and others who wished to use this thread to focus on the original question, I would like to apologize for the way that my comments may have contributed to it now being well and truly off-topic.  I sometimes rush in where Angels fear to thread.

However, given that I am now part of this NEAC (terminology that I introduced in a previous thread), I need to ask myself, "How can I act?"  I do not have the option of not acting, given that not posting is an act itself that would communicate something.  I find myself looking at the NEAC from an eco-systemic perspective where Dawn's off-topic discussion frustrated Justin who would like threads to remain focused.  Justin's comment to Dawn was perhaps harsher than it needed to be, and if emoticons are to be taken seriously, left her feeling embarrassed, rejected, and angry.  

I then rushed in (post was deleted), and tried to demonstrate how anything could be seen from different angles - even a seemingly off-topic comment can be seen to have some on-topic relevance.  Then, from what I understand, moderators, fearing that the situation was getting out of hand, entered the picture, trying to establish order.  However, those attempts, which included deleting posts, had the effect of making Dawn (and to some extent myself) feel silenced, unheard, and perhaps even unwanted.

Dawn, this appears to only have upset you further, contributing to comments which imply mistrust in the "system".  A vicious cycle has come into being where, as steps are taken to reduce / control anger and off-topic discussion, those steps just contribute to more anger and off-topic discussion, which then contributes to more steps to reduce / control anger and off-topic discussion ... and so on.   The question / puzzle we have then, can be phrased as "How can each of us, (collectively or individually) change our own behaviour (which is all that we have control over) so that this vicious cycle / pattern can be influenced in a more positive direction?

In reply to Sean Dicks

by dawn alderson -

Good morning,

(up early on puppy duty-for my sins!!!).

OK.  I hope I have wedged my post in between the last two here....Sean & Justin....

@Sean...when I posted this for you Sean (see below), I meant to say interpretation is about analyzing what is there in the data......assumptions are about adding what is not there.....fine line Sean....fine line (as I have told my first-year undergrads during research methods lectures) 

tongueout-I think you have included many assumptions in your last post. 

.Sean, you can interpret any post in whatever way you wish as long as you understand the knowledge you have created from interacting with others' ideas, views and 'TRUTHS' ha ha.   

@Justin let us be honest Justin the carnivalesque is quite attractive in this thread eh....I mean...we are on post number 12-I think eh...and non-researchers involved too..........so it goes....no such thing as bad press eh wink  Justin, big of you to apologize....accepted....but I quite frankly do not give a jot about whether you or anyone else think my posts 'qualify' to be here.  And this brings me on to some final words.

I am not sure if peeps have actually read my posts in any depth...but I referred to culture.....and comparisons with other online environments.....I shall be more pointed in terms of this point smile

I do not feel comfortable engaging in this environment.....as I do when I engage with others.  As an aside, I remember during the learn moodle MOOC, last year- whereby Martin intercepted a thread....in response to some disruption.....and Martin clearly stated:

' one needs to engage online.....as such, as if one were in one's living room with another person'...something I have and do consider during my online engagement.  Justin-I ask you.........have you done the same?-Rhetorical question as I am leaving my account today so I wont be engaged with this thread after this post.....closing my account in view of the following:

1.  Am hectic-busy and have projects-oppts and what-not.....but it may be that Martin and I will collaborate in the foreseeable future.

2.  It was great hanging out around here....lots of nice peeps

I might see some of you at the MOOT in Dublin..........if I have recovered in time!  LOLs am laughing-hope you are too.....tongueout 

Much heart for 2015, all

Dawn

by Justin Hunt -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Dawn,

I am sorry that I was so direct in my original post on this thread. I still agree with what I said, but I did not need to close it out so bluntly. 

It would be a shame if you left the forums on account of that and related events. FWIW your posts that I have seen since then seem fine.

Justin

In reply to Natalie Denmeade

by Michael de Raadt -

Thanks, Natalie and Tim.

This forum got a little side-tracked.

Does anyone have any other good Twitter references for researchers in the Moodleverse?