BIG Problem: All images gone after upgrade to 2.8.1+ (Build: 20141128)

BIG Problem: All images gone after upgrade to 2.8.1+ (Build: 20141128)

by Olaf Nöhring -
Number of replies: 4

Hi

please - I need help.

My site was running fine, I changed servers and run an upgrade from the latest 2.6 to 2.8.1+ (Build: 20141128).

Now ALL images (I checked several courses) are missing/gone/not shown!

The images are linked like this:

http://XXXXXXXXXXXXXX/pluginfile.php/20027/course/section/5336/something.jpg

or like this

http://XXXXXXXXXXXXXX/file.php/552/029.jpg

http://XXXXXXXXXXXXXX/file.php/146/QuadratischeGleichungen/pq_Formel_ok.png

The folder moodledata\146\ is empty, the file can be found using repositories -> legacy files! (see attached screenshots)

I need to be able to use the existing files as there are to many courses to check ALL by hand!

The problem goes even further: The images shown (and ppt) in the repository seem to be broken! They can not be displayed, the powerpoint in my last attachment can not be opened in PPT. 

shown, but broken images

My Moodle Version: 2.8.1+ (Build: 20141128)

Olaf

Attachment gone.png
Attachment pq.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Olaf Nöhring

Re: BIG Problem: All images gone after upgrade to 2.8.1+ (Build: 20141128)

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

What do you mean by "I changed servers"? 

Did you see it running properly with version 2.6 on the new server or did you migrate and upgrade in one step (bad idea!)

In reply to Howard Miller

by Olaf Nöhring -

Hi Howard,

i am actually not sure. 

By now I think there might have been something wrong with the download from the old server: I am not even able to download MD5'ed files, rename them and open them (like an image): Always an error.

I am fortunate enough to be able to redownload the moodledata directory. I will install the "old" version again, test ist everything is alright and then reupgrade.

I will keep you posted. Please hold your thumbs.

Olaf

In reply to Olaf Nöhring

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Good idea wink

In reply to Howard Miller

by Olaf Nöhring -

Hi

I wanted to let you know what happened. In short: It works!

I redownloaded /moodledata from the old server, transferred the old database to the new server as well as all files.

After I changed the paths in the config everything went smooth. I was able to log in. I put the site in maintenance mode and cleared all caches.

When that was done: Backup database. Then I altered all tables to change from myisam to innodb (ALTER TABLE table_name ENGINE=InnoDB;). Again: Database backup. Repaired the DB, optimized it. Backup DB again.

Then I uploaded the 2.8.1 (new) Moodle into /moodle.new, renamed /moodle to /moodle.old - and /moodle.new to /moodle.

I opened the /moodle and the upgrade started. I needed to update some plugins by hand (remove first, upgrade moodle, install later again).

Result: Everything still smooth! All images are there (as far as I tested). Moodle did not notice any problems with the "new" innodb.

I believe something just went wrong, when I downloaded from the old site. What? I have no idea.

Lessons learned: Keep the old backup until you successfully upgraded.

Thanks again

Olaf

Average of ratings: Useful (1)