Grading on the basis of z-score

Grading on the basis of z-score

by H Singh -
Number of replies: 6
How do I grade on the basis of a z-score in Moodle (2.7)? The default method of grading is equivalent to absolute grading.

Or is there some way to calculate a z-score intermediately on the basis of all the evaluation components and make Moodle use that?

In reply to H Singh

Re: Grading on the basis of z-score

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
In reply to Marcus Green

by H Singh -

\(z=\frac{x-\bar{x}}{\sigma}\)

A measure of how many standard deviations away a student's score is from the mean score. A fairly reasonable grading structure could be:

Grading structure
Grade            z-score intervals
A 1.5 and above
B [0.5,1.5)
C [-0.5,0.5)
D [-1.5,-0.5)
F below -1.5

In reply to H Singh

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I didn't understand the formula but I understood your description. It sounds like a useful way of analysing results. 

In reply to Marcus Green

by H Singh -

Its beyond useful. Its almost the most common way of doing relative grading in engineering schools (and others, I am sure) smile

So, how do I implement this on Moodle using existing tools?

In reply to H Singh

by Bob Puffer -

Moodle's gradebook doesn't do that and in eleven years this is the first time I've heard this question raised in the forums.

In reply to Bob Puffer

by H Singh -
Is there a way I could code this myself? Any docs to get started would be helpful.