Problem adding/editing quiz 2.8

Problem adding/editing quiz 2.8

by Michael Ko -
Number of replies: 9

Since we upgraded to 2.8.1, we can no longer add or edit the quiz.

When we submit the form, we just get a continuous white page (which eventually times out). But then we can no longer browse the website and not even log in again, unless we clear the browser cookies.

This is a very serious and strange problem.

There is no mention of any problem in the logs.

I have purged the cache, and the same problem happens on our live installation as well as locally on Windows.

Any ideas? Thank you in advance.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Michael Ko

Re: Problem adding/editing quiz 2.8

by Just H -
Switch on debugging and if it doesn't help you track down the issue post any errors in here (if it shows any)
In reply to Just H

by Michael Ko -

Sorry I should have mentioned, I have put debugging on. No error comes up except the eventual 504 timeout.

AH ok got something here when I set an execution time limit:

[21-Nov-2014 07:50:42 Europe/Berlin] Potential coding error - active database transaction detected during request shutdown:

* line 107 of \course\modlib.php: call to moodle_database->start_delegated_transaction()

* line 266 of \course\modedit.php: call to add_moduleinfo()

[21-Nov-2014 07:51:05 Europe/Berlin] Default exception handler: error/concurrent access from the same user is not supported Debug: 

Error code: concurrent access from the same user is not supported

$a contents: 

* line 463 of \lib\setuplib.php: moodle_exception thrown

* line 59 of \lib\editor\atto\autosave-ajax.php: call to print_error()

[21-Nov-2014 07:51:18 Europe/Berlin] Default exception handler: error/concurrent access from the same user is not supported Debug: 

$a contents: 

[21-Nov-2014 07:51:31 Europe/Berlin] Default exception handler: error/concurrent access from the same user is not supported Debug: 

$a contents: 

[21-Nov-2014 07:51:43 Europe/Berlin] Default exception handler: error/concurrent access from the same user is not supported Debug: 

$a contents: 

[21-Nov-2014 07:51:55 Europe/Berlin] Default exception handler: error/concurrent access from the same user is not supported Debug: 

$a contents: 

[21-Nov-2014 08:07:24 Europe/Berlin] PHP Fatal error:  Maximum execution time of 999 seconds exceeded in C:\xampp\htdocs\lms28\cache\classes\loaders.php on line 544

Now setting the time limit to 9999 to see what happens

In reply to Michael Ko

by Michael Ko -

It eventually works, but it is taking 15-20 minutes to add a quiz.

In reply to Michael Ko

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I don't know what is going on there. It seems to be somehow related to the auto-save feature in the HTML editor that was added in Moodle 2.8. That seems to be going wrong somehow on your system, even though it works for almost everyone else.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Michael Ko -

Yes, we noticed the auto-save feature. I couldn't find out: is there any way to disable it (without disabling the auto save for students attempting quizzes)?

In reply to Michael Ko

by Damyon Wiese -
I'm not sure what is going on with your server but there is a check for concurrent access that is meant to prevent someone opening the same form from different tabs in the same browser session at the same time. If we allowed that, the autosave text would be ping/ponging between the browser tabs. That is what throws this message: "error/concurrent access from the same user is not supported".

In reply to Damyon Wiese

by Michael Ko -

Oh ok, I'm definitely only using one browser tab.

The problem does not happen when I make a new Page but it does if I make a new quiz, edit a quiz, or make changes to the quiz grade on the edit quiz questions page. I can add questions to a quiz with no problem.

The problem happens on both the live production servers and my local windows 7 machine, on which I can hear the hard disk going and the computer resources are used while the problem is happening.

In reply to Michael Ko

by Lienq Van Rooyen -

Good day,

I see there was in 2014 action on this forum last.

we just upgraded to 2.8.7 and I am starting to regret it.

All is working fine except quizzes. We can access quizzes already on created and students can attempt.

HOWEVER, if I try to edit existing quizzes or create new quizzes I get the following error. Any advice on what to change?

Fatal error: Call to a member function is_extra_row() on a non-object in /home/ciclms89/public_html/question/classes/bank/view.php on line 191