Atto editor: Can not make use of images any more because copyright info ist not displayed

Atto editor: Can not make use of images any more because copyright info ist not displayed

by David Bogner -
Number of replies: 3
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi everyone,

we need to fulfil copyright law for creative commons licensed images. We use them a lot in courses and we have to comply with the rules of creative commons licensed images. That means we have to reveal the author of the image somehow. Creative Commons licensed images require at least the author to be named. With the TinyMCE it was possible to have the author displayed, when the cursor is placed over the image (title attribute of the image).
There are several ways atto is preventing us (to be more specific this concerns our teachers who do not understand any HTML or whatever, they just use the editor) to insert images with correct copyright attribution. With Atto, displaying correct copyright becomes quite a rocket science (you have to edit source code, which is absolutely no-go for our users).

When selecting a picture to insert via the editor, I can write the copyright info in the dialogue during the selection process, but it won't be displayed anywhere. So what is the actual purpose of defining the copyright info? It is of no use, that the database knows the copyright owner, when it is not displayed to the users.

Is there a best practice guide for displaying copyright information or is there any effort to make it possible to be able to make use of images, that complies with the law (copyright law of creative commons licensed images is quite universal, so everybody is affected not only a single country).

Writing copyright information at the end of a text page would be a possibility, but that's really not best practice. I think this can only be solved by making Atto capable of adding copyright information.

Best regards,
David

Average of ratings: -
In reply to David Bogner

Re: Atto editor: Can not make use of images any more because copyright info ist not displayed

by Daniel Thies -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi David,

Atto requests that a description is entered as an aid for vision impaired. This is placed into the alt tag on the image.  It might suffice ask the teachers to place the info there.  This displays if the image is unavailable, but not with mouse over.  It should be easy to change alt to title in the YUI code if you are able to do that.  Moodle stores the information with the image, and it appears when using the image plugin.  It would not be inconceivable for the code to be changed to include that information automatically. You might try creating a tracker item on it.  This sounds like something that the integrators would entertain. 

In reply to Daniel Thies

Re: Atto editor: Can not make use of images any more because copyright info ist not displayed

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

Thanks for pointing this out, but you do not indicate that this is such a large issue that it creates a very real problem for your use of Moodle, or if you are pointing it out as an issue that needs attention. If the latter, then Daniel is correct and I too would urge you to create a Tracker item. Provide all the details you can and be as precise in the impact of not doing this will have when TinyMCE is finally dropped altogether.

If you are really needing a different solution, you can revert to TinyMCE via the Site Admin > Plugins > Text Editors > Manage Editors page. (I am just covering both bases here, I would expect you have already done this. However, as someone else once said, "Assume nothing...and you will eventually get it right!")  

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to David Bogner

by Daniel Thies -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I thought of a potentially better work around.  If you have the original image available in a repository like wikimedia with the author and license information, it might be better to just link to that.  You can insert the picture and then click the link button and add the url like this moodle logo. It does not have the mouse over, anyone can click on it to get the information. 

Average of ratings: Useful (1)