How to hide "Not available unless: You belong to Group_XXXX (hidden otherwise)"

by Herlich Aguiluz -
Number of replies: 12

Short Version:

When an instructor logs in to his course, he sees this line under his forums:

"Not available unless: You belong to Group_XXXX (hidden otherwise)"

Can that be hidden?

Long Version:

I was asked to make a course for a workshop. Each "class" maxes out at 10 students, but they will all be studying the same material. Each class, now we will call a group, is taught by a different instructor. There are times when an instructor is assigned two groups.

What I ended up making is a course with two topics. Topic 1 is all of the discussion boards (forums), and Topic 2 is just the lecture videos. The lecture section was easy. I just made it accessible to everyone enrolled in the course. Topic 1 is a little tricky.

The instructor will only see the discussion board for a class assigned to him/her. The student will only see the discussion board for the workshop he/she is a member of.

I used groupings and the forums look really nice and clean for a student. However, I assigned the instructor (locally for the activity) as a Non-editing teacher. The instructor can see boards assigned to her, but it also shows the warning "Not available unless: You belong to Group_XXXX (hidden otherwise)"

Is there a way for me to remove that display for the role given? Please see attached images. One image is what students see and another image is what the instructor sees.

Thank you.

Attachment instructor.png
Attachment monday_student.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Herlich Aguiluz

Re: How to hide "Not available unless: You belong to Group_XXXX (hidden otherwise)"

by Justina Torres -

Herlich,

Have you or anyone else figured out how to hide the "Not available unless..." line?  We could really use a solution for this on our site (recently upgraded to Moodle 2.8.1).

Thanks,
Justina

In reply to Justina Torres

Re: How to hide "Not available unless: You belong to Group_XXXX (hidden otherwise)"

by John Provasnik -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

I use 2.6, but I believe you go to assignment,

Edit Settings -- Restrict Access -- and then Adjust the "While Activity is Prevented" drop down to display "Hide activity entirely"

Yours may be set to "Show Activity greyed-out with restriction information"

In reply to John Provasnik

by Justina Torres -

Thanks for the suggestion, John.  That setting has changed or moved in 2.8.  I think it's now the eyeball that Mary shows in her screenshot below.

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Justina -are you referring to the line "not available unlesss.. " but WITOUT the "hidden" wording that the original poster refers to? If so then you need to click the eye of the activity completion condition as explained in the documentation Hiding the conditions (direct link to that section of the page)

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Justina Torres -

Yes, Mary, that's the text I'm referring to, but in the teacher view, not the student view.  We already use the eyeball to completely hide the text for students, and everything looks fine in the student view.  However, our instructors are seeing this text and are complaining.  They are having three related problems that we didn't have in 2.7:

1. They see the "Not available unless..." text on the course main page, which they tell me is very distracting, especially if they have a number of assignments in one unit.  What is interesting is that it only appears when the item is visible to students.  (I've told them to use this as a visual cue temporarily.)
  2. Restricted access activities and resources now appear in our theme's hidden text color, even though they are visible to students.  This is confusing for our teachers.
  3. The grouping name in parentheses has disappeared from pages, although it still shows for assignments, forums and quizzes.  Teachers were using this visual cue as a way to easily tell which page belonged to which grouping.

Here's a screenshot highlighting the above:

Teacher view problems

Do you have any suggestions for how we can modify the teacher's view to make it more like it was in 2.7?  Thanks in advance for any ideas you may have!

by Richard Clay -

We've had similar complaints from staff about the new display.  I've tried changing the CSS in our theme so that activities that are not hidden but have restrictions show as normal coloured links and then if they are hidden they appear as greyed out. I think this is how the links should display as 'live' links that have the potential to be accessed should not be grey. However, there are not enough unique CSS classes to allow this this as only ".dimmed" and ".conditionalhidden" are available to target. When trying to amend these rules to achieve the above result they ultimately cancel each other out.

I'm thinking that an override of the core renderer might allow for a partial solution, although I don't have the knowledge to write any code myself. If an extra class could be added to an activity if it has restrictions and is also hidden, it would allow for extra CSS to be applied. Anyone have any ideas if this can be done?

Thanks
Richard

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Richard Clay

by Blair F. -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

I agree with Richard that the grouped items should not be greyed out.  I just had an entire department go into panic mode.  

by Denise Snyder -

We are hearing the same three complaints here about how grouping permissions are now handled visually for the teacher role.  I know that below someone mentions "this problem is solved" here https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-49343, but I don't see anything in that tracker post that mentions a solution for the three items Justina mentions above. I could see the rationale if the "Not available unless..." text and grayed out text appears if a teacher is in edit mode but having it appear outside of edit mode is distracting for teachers and, as one faculty strongly communicated to us, "completely unacceptable".  To these instructors, this CSS display for groupings is a real usability problem. I am with Justina, if anyone has recommendations for how we can make this like it was in 2.7, we are really interested.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Denise Snyder

by Blair F. -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Looks like there's been no progress on this, which surprises me.  We have many complaints about this.  There's another tracker listing, but not many votes: https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-51010

by Herlich Aguiluz -

Hi. We don't have any solution or work-around just yet, sorry.

In reply to Herlich Aguiluz

by Naaman Fallouh -

Any news about this issue, I'd posted this in the forum but no replies.

Please see this: Moodle 2.8.3 new access rules cause activities to be hidden in Teacher account

Regards