Students Collaborate on one page... (M2.6)

Students Collaborate on one page... (M2.6)

by Chris Chapman -
Number of replies: 8

Hi all, 

a lecturer wanted an area on his course site where students could collaborate and edit a single page which has a table in it listing their topics for a magazine project and the page numbers they'd be using.

I suggested using a Wiki as I thought this would handle this, but it seems even in collaborative, No groups, no students can edit the page, I have created extra pages, and wikis just to be sure the settings weren't amiss, but still cant edit an existing page....

any ideas?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Chris Chapman

Re: Students Collaborate on one page... (M2.6)

by Chris Chapman -

Ok, after having another attack at the wiki settings, making sure Group mode was set to 'No Groups' in the settings still did nothing. however on the course, I noticed that Group mode was set to visible? some conflicting values somewhere, adjusting the group mode (to No Groups) on the course editing area sorted the issue.

Hope this helps!

by Gina Polley -

Hi Chris,

I've had the same issue with wiki's not being able to edit simultaneously - I set all students to teacher role for that activity but it still didn't allow simultaneous activity?  I don't use groups but checked my settings and this didn't seem to make any difference?

Would this be a version issue?  I'm currently on 2.5?

Are wiki's designed to be simultaneously edited?  I'd like to use this as in-class activity now that our students have devices...

Open to any ideas...

Gina

In reply to Gina Polley

by Chris Chapman -

Hi Gina, 

I doubt it would be a version issue, and not 100% sure whether they can handle simultaneous editing of a single item, But I'l go through the settings I used to get it working with (theoretically simultaneous student editing) .

no need for students to be set as teacher role for the activity.

Wiki Mode: Collaborative

First Page Name: Instructions
(The first page can't be editable so just have instructions and link to another page here)

Default Format: HTML

Group Mode: No groups

Grouping: None

On the First page include links to editable pages in the text editor like so page1 page2 surrounded by double square brackets . Save changes and click these links to create these pages and edit them.

Last step is to go to the course page with editing on,  go to the Wiki activity, look at the editing icons beside it, and set groups to no groups.

This worked for me hope it does for you!

Attachment no_groups.PNG

by Gina Polley -

Hi Chris,

Thanks for taking the time to reply.  I've tried it again following your instructions and it seems that simultaneous editing still isn't possible - it comes up with a message saying 'someone is editing this right now, try again in a few minutes'.  

I've used wiki's before but now our students have 1:1 devices and I want to use it in a class I've realised that this seems to be a limitation of the system sad.

I guess the only way to get around it would be to give each student a page in the wiki to edit?

Thanks again,

Gina.

In reply to Gina Polley

by Chris Chapman -

Hi Gina, 

that's a bit of bummer sad

Yes- I guess your right, having a page for each student would do the trick. Trying to think if there is another module that would handle this sort of thing a bit better, stumped at the mo!

Maybe something we should add to the Tracker - as a proposed improvement to Wiki, I imagine lots of people would want the same!

all the best

Chris.

by D F -

A link to a Google doc would be the simplest answer!

Sorry perhaps that's not what you needed but I've used Google docs successfully for simultaneous editing quite often.

In reply to D F

by Gina Polley -

Thanks Chris and Daniel,

Good suggestions.  I've used Google docs too but we don't have access for them with students as our management is quite security conscious - but we do use it for staff so that's the kind of thing that I'm looking for.

I'm quite new to the Moodle community thing but yes adding to the Wiki requests sounds like a good idea Chris.

Thanks for your input

In reply to Gina Polley

by Derek Chirnside -

My 2c worth.

In my second LMS (#1 being First Class and #2 being homegrown) we had a 'One page wiki'.  In other words, just one page that a group of students could edit.  Most of the time this is all that is needed for  student project.  Wiki as it is in Moodle is just  bit clunky.

So the work round we use is a bit dubious:

1. Set up the pages
  2. Change permissions to give students editing rights for just that page.

Never had any problems

-Derek