How should a new "course wizard" for course grading be done?

How should a new "course wizard" for course grading be done?

by Jordi Pujol-Ahulló -
Number of replies: 0
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi all!

I'm a Moodle supporter in my University, and I contributed with some plugin to moodle.org.

I received some feedback from professors of my University that find advanced grading quite difficult, even more when have conditional grading or several opportunities for grading.

For a long time, I'm thinking about a some kind of wizard to help teacher users in Moodle to define their course grading. The backend will be the same like the current grading structure, including the manual cualification like when a teacher uses the the grading calculator. So, changing nothing at all in the backend, but providing a user friendly, even drag&drop user interface, to build the final course grading.

So, I think about this important new feature: new wizard-like frontend for easy course grading definition.

Preconditions

• Having all ativitivies to include in the course grading already created into the course.
  • Activities may appear in any kind of grading category structure.

Postconditions:

• Having all activities structured in the gradebook, so that the final course mark corresponds to the final students marks.

I know that most of teacher users in my University, use external documents (like excels or so) to manually build final marks of their courses, given that they find some advanced grading features (that Moodle already provides or may provide using calculator and specific formulas) very difficult. They find even the option of the calculator from the gradebook  difficult to use.

At the same time, there are some teachers that makes an advanced use of the gradebook and their current features.

Having introduced all my thoughts and my own experience, the question is the following:

If we are to develop such kind of frontend, how this should be better addressed to be Moodle- and gradebook-conformant?

I mean, I can see 4 kinds of plugin for gradebook, but none of them is similar to what I'm proposing here.

Any though, any comment, whatever... will be very welcome!!!

Thanks in advance!!!

Jordi