Adding multiple choices, numerous options

Adding multiple choices, numerous options

by dig dug -
Number of replies: 4

Hi. I'm a teacher using moodle. I'd like to use the Choice module for a task, but the user interface is ill-suited to it.

I am trying to create a Choice for each of about 80 students, with 16 options for each Choice.

I'm a hobbyist programmer, so I can write scripts to generate code for each student Choice. But how can I pass this data to the server? I thought perhaps I could pass it by URL, something like 

/moodle/course/modedit.php?add=choice&type=&course=1849&section=0&name=StudentName&text=Desc&option[0]= ... etc

but "add=choice" brings up the Choice editor interface. Is there another variable I can pass to just create the Choice directly?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to dig dug

Re: Adding multiple choices, numerous options

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Perhaps if you can give more information about what you want to do with these 16 choices, or explain how you want the students to use them, we might be able to suggest an alternative that does not involve coding?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by dig dug -

As succinctly as possible ... 

Each student performs a speaking activity. S/he draws a random letter from a bag, and reads from a chart like the one pictured. The rest of the class listens, and then votes for what letter they think the student was targeting.

So I'd like the Choice name to be the student's name, and the options to be A, B, C, D, etc.

Chart

In reply to dig dug

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Why not use  a quiz with multiple choice questions, one for each student, and make the quiz not be graded? Then you can see how many opted for which answer but the grade doesn't matter.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by dig dug -

I'll try that, thanks.