Response template for short-answer questions

Response template for short-answer questions

by Rick Van Camp -
Number of replies: 6

Moodle 2.7

I am a heavy user of short answer questions and, more recently, regex questions. I also use the possibility of a response template in the essay question occasionally. However, what I really desire is to combine these, e.g. to populate the short answer field with text that students can then manipulate. This would have a range of applications. In punctuation exercises, for example, a student could just enter a comma in a ready sentence which would then be checked with a regular expression. 

Is something like this already doable? If not, to which forum should I post a suggestion for this feature?

Thanks,
Rick

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Rick Van Camp

Re: Response template for short-answer questions

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

It would take a small change to the code. For comparsion, here is what it took to implement this in the Essay question type: https://github.com/moodle/moodle/commit/60527d0c340a34079823c6a586f68c9d792e36ee. (It's not as bad as it looks, half of that is unit tests.)

Anyway, it is a good idea. By all means create a feature request for it. (I just searched, and I don't think there is one yet.)

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Rick Van Camp -

Hi again,

I just noticed from Github that the guys replying actually made the Regexp plugin. Thanks a bunch and if you are ever in Finland, dinner is on me. I can't tell you how useful and fun it is to use! But where is the appropriate place to post feature requests of this kind? There are so many forums here, or should I do it in Github?

Rick

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

@Rick,

You can post any comments regarding question types, whether core or add-on in this Quiz forum.

Joseph

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Rick,

I agree that the feature you request might be useful when using a short answer (or regexp) question type. However, not quite as useful as in the case of the Essay question type.

A very simple workaround is to provide in your question text the "response template" and instruct the student to select that template sentence and copy & paste OR drag & drop it into the Response field, where it can be edited.

Joseph

Example with the REGEXP question type:

screenshot #1

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Rick Van Camp -

Hi Josesph,

Thanks for the tip. While I have used the workaround of having them cut and paste (with the occasional missing part), it never occurred to me that drap and drop was possible. I assume I need to add a particular plugin for this functionalility, correct?

Rick

by Joseph Rézeau -

@Rick,

Drag & drop works without any further plugin. It's a feature of your Web browser, not Moodle.

Joseph