Upgrading 2.5 to 2.6, add-on missing in plugin check stage, upgrade hangs

Upgrading 2.5 to 2.6, add-on missing in plugin check stage, upgrade hangs

by Paul Lindgreen -
Number of replies: 4
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

I am upgrading 2.5.4 to 2.6.5.

When I get to the Plugin check page there are 2 notices indicating  add-on are missing from disk:
onlineaudio / Add-on / missing from disk  (I think its there if this link refers to it in /mod/assignment/type/ )
leatherboundmsvu / Add-on / missing from disk  (I dont see it on disk)

I went ahead and clicked 'upgrade moodle database now'. The page appeared to hang afterwards and eventually timed out after 15min (500 error, 'The FastCGI process exceeded configured request timeout')

I tried refreshing but received the message 'Site is being upgraded, please retry later. '

Then I tried going to a different page, login/index.php and was prompted to upgrade again.

Plugin check indicated same missing add-ons. I click upgrade again and it worked after 2 minutes.

Neither of these 2 plugins are displayed in my plugin list prior to the upgrade. 1 looks like an old customized theme the other 'onlineaudio' I have no clue what to say, either way I'ld like to remedy this before doing the upgrade on our production environment. Another forum message  suggested removing any references to the plugin in table mdl_config_plugins.

Is this a bug with moodle 2.6.5? Is the forum reference above the recommended solution (remove ref from mdl_config_plugins) ?

=========

My environment is Moodle 2.5.4 Windows 2008 server, IIS 7.5 , php 5.5, 14gb Memory, 4 cpu
My
sql1 on seperate server, same specs as above: Mysql server 5.1, windows 2008 64 bit
Zend Extension Build API220090626,NTS,VC9 PHP Extension Build API20090626,NTS,VC9 Thread Safety disabled System Windows NT MOODLE2TEST 6.1 build 7601 (Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard Edition Service Pack 1) i586 Build Date Aug 15 2012 19:57:50 Compiler MSVC9 (Visual C++ 2008) Architecture x86

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Paul Lindgreen

Re: Upgrading 2.5 to 2.6, add-on missing in plugin check stage, upgrade hangs

by Ken Task -

So how did you do the upgrade?  Moved the 2.5 code fodler out of web root.  Moved 2.6 code folder into web root  - AND copied any add-on present in the 2.5 code folder(s) to same locations in the new 2.6 code fodler?

or did you do a no-no and attempt to overwrite the the 2.5 code with the 2.6 code?

If you still have your old 2.5 moodle code folder, find those items there and copy into the same locations as they were in the 2.5 code folder.   They won't be missing from disk then (BTW, that screen should have shown a 'short path' to the items or what they were/are - like in Themes 'addons' is where one might have seen 'leatherboundXXX' as that was a theme [might have been customized in the 2.5]).   Now the DB references to them won't fail as the folders can be found and the upgrade process might allow you to finish.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Paul Lindgreen -

re: or did you do a no-no and attempt to overwrite the the 2.5 code with the 2.6 code?

I removed the moodle website content and then copied 2.6 into that folder, i did not copy over it.

re: 'short path' to the items or what they were/are - like in Themes 'addons'

Path wasnt displayed , it was blank, unlike other plugins listed. The msvuleatherbound was under the Theme section and the onlineaudio was under the 'Assignment (2.2) / Assignment types' section.

The msvuleatherbound theme does not exist on our file system under the themes folder, the onlineaudio one does appear to be there. After the upgrade our development site lists the lilnk to 'uninstall' the leatherboundmsvu them but does not list the option to uninstall the onlinevideo add-on.

One more thing, in mdl_config_plugins there's 2 entries for these under the plugin column: theme_leatherboundmsvu and assignment_onlineaudio . As per the reference to the other moodle forum above I was thinking about removing these 2 records?...but I'm afraid to in case it breaks some data integrity with something else?

In reply to Paul Lindgreen

by Ken Task -

Well, if you have no 'uninstall' link to remove it ... in earlier versions of Moodle below 2.6 that only removed references to it in the DB, not the physical folder ... then the only other choice is to remove references to it in that table.  Yes, there might be other references in tables else where, but that shouldn't be called IF there is no code to call/query those tables for that data.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Paul Lindgreen -

I went ahead and removed the 2 references to the 2 plugins in the mdl_config_plugins table after confirming they were not installed on the filesystem anywhere. I then repeated the whole upgrade and it appeared to work (after the plugin check page it took 10 minutes, is that a normal duration?).

Thanks for the help.