Should you upgrade to Moodle 2.7?

Should you upgrade to Moodle 2.7?

by Don Hinkelman -
Number of replies: 43
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Last week, our university upgraded from Moodle 2.5 to 2.7 and this is the response we got from a teacher whose feelings were shared by many:

...photo resizing now takes about 20 times longer to get it at the right fit, when compared to the drag-resizing we had before. And where do we change the color and font size? Oh well ....   

Actually, I am beginning to be of the opinion that I would rather not have Moodle upgraded anymore.  I just get used to it, and can do things quickly and efficiently, and then it changes ....sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse. I haven't even started doing fiddly stuff like making a quiz on it yet.... and I am sure there are changes there.  It sucks up a lot of my time which I would rather be putting into other teaching stuff.

I know you put a lot of effort into these upgrades Don and I don't want you to feel like it is all for nothing but can't we be happy with the version we are using and not have to have the added hassle of new version problems and getting used to it? 

Sorry for being a bit negative, but there needs to advantages to outweigh the disadvantages in my book and at the moment I can't see them with this new upgrade.

Confidently, I replied to my fellow teacher that Moodle is customizable and surely we can deal with these regressions in default Moodle 2.7, such as:

• No text re-sizing
  • No text color changing
  • No background color changing
  • Difficult photo resizing

However, to my shock, very little in the new Moodle is customizable (after two hours of fiddling I could add four more colors). We live and die by these features (for us teachers, Moodle *is* the text editor) and someone, quite arrogantly, removed the features we use everyday.  It almost seems the new Moodle is philosophically opposed to teacher empowerment.  Puzzled, I checked with a developer I knew, who warned me that the choice of a new editor was quite ideological, that the decision was based on the assumption: "Style should be left to the theme and site designer and done in CSS so its consistent site wide".  Doesn't that sound rather condescending, elitest and anti-teacher?  This is more the reality:

• Teachers design their web pages and quizzes like Word documents.  That is the skill they know.
  • Teachers do not know CSS.
  • Teachers are the only ones designing and creating materials.  BTW, what is a 'site designer'? Do we need one to run Moodle?

Is the new Moodle assuming schools must hire expert staff to make materials?  Or hire developers to add back the ability to change text size?  To say "well, third party plugins will add back what you are missing" is not a good answer because Moodle Partners often forbid any third party plugins or charge $700/year for a single plugin. $700 per year so I have the luxury of changing my font size from 10 point to 14 point?   (add emoticon here for feeling exasperated/disappointed/fearful of the future)

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Don Hinkelman

Re: Should you upgrade to Moodle 2.7?

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Without going into details of each release, I was saying over and over that this great, aka forced, version march is painfull at the receiving end.
sad

(Whether this message is of General help, I don't think so.)
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Justin Hunt -

Atto is really a better choice for Moodle's future than TinyMCE. Though I was *a bit* reluctant at first, but that doesn't mean you have to use it yet. 

However I agree with a lot of what has been said here. Even when you understand the rationale behind the changes and have the chance to test them before hand etc, its a lot of work for everyone, the plugin developers, the theme developers, the admins and the people like Don who have to go off and explain it all to hapless teachers. And it doesn't help that most people really won't see much improvement over the old editor. A lot of the goodness is under the hood. Luckily we can still select TinyMCE as the editor.

What really interests me having read this, is how many 2.7 users use Atto and how many use TinyMCE.

In reply to Justin Hunt

by Jez H -

Pretty well the first thing we did after setting up 2.7 was to switch back to TinyMCE because there is so many of the basics are missing from atto.... shiny drag and drop images are being discussed but basic formatting options everyone needs are missing... 

At the time that was discussed I thought it was nuts to take on development of a text editor and felt the dice were loaded in favour of Atto from the outset just by the tone / questions posed on the docs preceding the discussion thread.

However I am aware you were able to fix (I think) PooDLL Anywhere in full screen view in Atto which you were unable to do in TinyMCE, that coupled with Martins comments in the 2.7 highlights video kind of won me over.... and lets not forget Tiny MCE's ability to help users completely bork things from time to time.

As soon as Atto catches up in terms of features we will switch over to it, I think it was indeed the right approach.... 

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

Hi Don,

There is certainly an issue, but the approach I have taken is that there should really only be one upgrade a year. So what if people miss out of the latest whiz-bang stuff, but they actually see major improvement year after year by doing this. The Xmas break here is long enough, well, you know, so I usually upgrade in January. I have just started playing with v2.7.1 and will likely upgrade to v2.8 - it is released in November. 

I too have been disturbed by the lack of colour, particularly for the younger students, and the inflexibility of some things, but have mainly stuck to the fact that MathJax is not the only maths tool Moodle could use, and with Geoff's rather brilliant development of a Chemistry equation builder. The Atto text editor is a Moodle development, so I am given to understand, likely because as it is easier to develop something internally that adapt something from outside. This would mean that for the next couple of updates, it is going to be pretty much barebone stuff, but sooner or later, someone will add in more colour, and so on. 

Some of the issues you raise though, make one wonder if schools are no longer the main focus of Moodle, rather business is, and that is where the lack of flexibility is coming from. 

As far as a "page stylist" is concerned, nah.... I am sure you would know what looks good and what doesn't. Eventually thought, site-wide consistency is going to be the name of the game, and as usual, when these things happen, the whole thing will become as bland as a vanilla milkshake. Just make sure you pick the theme that best suits your site - and don't be afraid to change it. 

by Floyd Saner -

Don,

The limitations you experience are due to the design of Atto, the new default editor.  In an effort to make Moodle more accessible and meet usability requirements, many options were removed or restricted.

I fully support the design of accessible content, however my firm belief is that designers should be trained, not restrictively coerced.  I do not like Atto, and therefore make TincyMCE the default editor.  Doing so will provide your teachers with all the editor functions they had previously.  Move TinyMCE to the top of the editors list in the plugins area.

Floyd

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Floyd Saner

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Users will always complain about non-trivial software updates* or changes to the interface, the question is how much of a problem do the changes really cause. 

I recently had to come to terms with the way Windows 8 requires you wave your mouse in the general direction of a popup box to make it go away breaking with the conventions of several decades. I would like to have had the designer of that "feature" in the room  to forcefully explain the error of that change.

I may be involved in an upgrade to 2.7 and Dons post has made me wonder about the virtue of setting TinyMCE as the default instead of Atto so the users have one less thing to get used to.

Marcus

(*and trivial ones come to think of it)

In reply to Marcus Green

by Colin Fraser -

Well, please, let's not try anything new, let's not give these things a chance. I know I complain about some things a lot, but I hope that I am not so dismissive of things. Atto has a good feel to it, but it is still very raw. I am not sure I like the bland look, either, or the limitations of colour as Don wrote, but really, give it a chance - these are cosmetic things.

When I update next, I am likely to use TinyMCE, but as Atto becomes more useful, I will seriously look at it again, perhaps just upgrading Atto mid-year. 

In the meantime, the colour buttons suck, why can I only get six colours? Why not 8?  Or maybe we could reach for 16 in a grid array, not a stack of 6. 

In reply to Marcus Green

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

I too struggled with the ATTO versus TinyMCE issue.  I really wanted to use ATTO, and it might do a better job on cell phones and tablets.  But then I decided to go back to making TinyMCE the default because it had more features and worked better for me.  I think ATTO still needs improvement (which will probably happen with time.) On my moodle, students can still switch to ATTO in their configuration.

This might be one of those situations where developers try to accommodate people with special needs (maybe 2% of the users, or less), and make it more difficult for 98% of the users.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Jez H -

2.7 is a great release, Atto has some way to go though, we use 2.7 with TinyMCE set as the default and have not had any complaints yet.

by dawn alderson -

Don, hi

hear you.

Here is the rationale for the Atto choice:

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=245896#p1100563

I can't remember if you had input with this Don, however, the pros definitely outweighed the cons when  all was measured up.

As with all innovation, things need to evolve HQ-as far as I am aware-are aware of further development needs that will come with time (I think drag and drop prob top of list). That said, Tinymce is still do-able in parallel-as I understand it with the use of Atto.

In my humble opinion it all makes sense as a practitioner/learner to me within the bigger picture of moodle...user/front/back end stuff.

Happy to spell that last bit out-if need be smile

Dawn

In reply to dawn alderson

by Don Hinkelman -

Hi Everyone,

Just a reminder, this is not a discussion about Atto vs. TinyMCE.  It is a discussion about whether 2.7 is ready to be released and what priorities are chosen in release designs. We love the initial appearance of Atto and we are locked into whatever Moodle HQ chooses as the default editor (we need video-anywhere and PoodLL plugins to Atto for example).  So Atto is it.  But that is not this discussion.

To answer my initial question, in terms of teacher productivity, Moodle 2.7 is not ready for release. It is a regression because it makes course authoring harder, not easier. Likewise I would not recommend Moodle 2.8 (code freeze on October 6th) as an upgrade if there are no improvements in course authoring.

Is course authoring the number one priority for the development of Moodle?  I believe it is.  There has been a dramatic shift in power away from global publishers to local self-publishers.  It has shifted away from expert designers to bricolage. Power has shifted from proprietory IP to open educational resources (OER). It really is the bazaar vs. the cathedral. I wrote a research paper trying to describe these post-modern power shifts within a blended, Moodle environment. Further, I believe the paradigm shift of Moodle 3.0 should mirror the paradigm shift in Education 3.0, which in my view, is towards mass collaborative authoring and sharing.  In this vision, the Hub, sharing tools, and authoring editors are the heart and soul of Moodle 3.0.

So there are political decisions to be made here: what course authoring features should be default? 

Atto is not set in stone.  It can be as productive and more productive than TinyMCE.  The problem is that it was released prematurely without a sense of teacher productivity as the highest priority. In Moodle 2.5, teacher productivity was higher due to default features such as:

• drag image resizing
  • large variety of text colors (darker choices are better)
  • large variety of background colors (lighter choices are better)
  • text resizing

I am sure there are other productivity enhancements in the pipeline, and I would like to get links to Tracker issues so they can be pushed forward and make the Moodle 2.8 release into one that shifts priority into the hands of teachers.

by Derek Chirnside -

Comments indented.  Very interesting post Don.

Moodle 2.7 is not ready for release. It is a regression because it makes course authoring harder, not easier.

Is it just the new editor?

Anything else?

Is course authoring the number one priority for the development of Moodle?  I believe it is.  

OK, this may be so for you.  It is for me also.  I do not believe this is true of MoodleHQ at the moment however.  I may be wrong, but there is no evidence of them being supportive of non-corporate users at the moment.

I am sure there are other productivity enhancements in the pipeline, and I would like to get links to Tracker issues so they can be pushed forward and make the Moodle 2.8 release into one that shifts priority into the hands of teachers.

I've started a list here: https://docs.moodle.org/27/en/Curated_list/Course_creation

I suspect the priority is whoever has the money.

-Derek

In reply to Derek Chirnside

by Don Hinkelman -

>>  Is it just the new editor?   Anything else?

In terms of teacher productivity, Moodle 2.7 is not ready for release.

In terms of security, Moodle 2.7 *is* ready for release. 

In terms of under-the-hood stability, Moodle 2.7 *is* ready for release. 

The point is that although security and under-the-hood stability are important, teachers do not see or experience them. What teachers want is increased productivity and fun. big grin

I believe there are three stakeholders in Moodle with different aims:

• Students: want to learn, want to have fun learning  (i.e. the Progress Bar is fun--go for the green!)
  • Teachers:  want to organize learning as fast as possible, and have fun teaching with students (i.e. rubrics!)
  • Developers:  want to make efficient, clean code, want to have fun developing (i.e. easy Atto plugins!)

You may say there is a fourth, more powerful stakeholder, corporations. But where I live and work, almost only universities are using Moodle and only teachers are developing content.  In this discussion, I am strictly taking the view of my teachers--they need a voice.  Students and developers will have different priorities. I am not cynical about Moodle's direction.  I just feel the current editor design does not help teachers and needs to be aligned with a different vision of Moodle 3.0 and Education 3.0.

by Jez H -

Hi Don,

Have to disagree with this:

"In terms of teacher productivity, Moodle 2.7 is not ready for release"

2.7 is a great release far better than anything that preceded it.

I don't think ATTO was ready to be made the default text editor but that is easily remedied:

As you can see it was sufficient for us to simply move TinyMCE up, we have 20k users and zero complaints about editing so far...

Should you upgrade to Moodle 2.8?

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
(This is space for the next discussion which is going to start in 6 weeks the latest.)

by Derek Chirnside -

"Puzzled, I checked with a developer I knew, who warned me that the choice of a new editor was quite ideological, that the decision was based on the assumption: "Style should be left to the theme and site designer and done in CSS so its consistent site wide"    "

Is there a link to this discussion?

-Derek

EDIT: 

The world has suddenly got a lot more chaotic.

by Justin Hunt -

Derek, that conversation was with me (not an HQ developer), and it was a private email conversation. I don't mind Don quoting me, but I should add that I am actually in the Atto camp. I was really just explaining why in my opinion the ability to alter font colors and sizes etc was limited in Atto.

It only takes a search of the forums to see the pre Atto debate with quotes like "we should be getting our teachers managing content, not managing design." And there is a logic there, I just think it applies more to corporate than to academic institutions. The points about accessibility are also good. Who knows what tipped the scales in the end. 

Making Atto the default was probably premature, but there is no reason we can't just bang out  plugins that do what we feel is missing. I can vouch for the fact that Atto is a heck of a lot easier to write plugins for than TinyMCE.

In reply to Justin Hunt

by Colin Fraser -

"we should be getting our teachers managing content, not managing design"

Remember the story of the sponge cake. One company put out a packeted, pre-mixed sponge cake, just add water. Sales were so poor they withdrew the product. Later they tried again, only this time, they said, "Just add 2 eggs and water..." and that is what we have today, that same product strategy. Research revealed that women, (the only purchasers and cooks of those products in those days) felt their culinary skills were being degraded, but in adding two eggs, that was actually "cooking". So are we offering a Moodle with a "just add water" approach? 

In reply to Colin Fraser

by dawn alderson -

I remember during playground duty I always had to say in general to the boys: now play nicely! To the girls-don't be spiteful....yep....I sometimes look around and see  no change in the adult world.....sadly.

Colin-you skim a fine line there buddy....a fine line...cakes and women and cooking....I also remember in the role play corner in my classrooms...those little boys loved the fairy outfits and nurses dresses-so much so I had to hide them some days-due to the bickering!

Now-let us play nicely-back later with some more thoughts on this thread.... really interesting.

D

In reply to dawn alderson

by Colin Fraser -

Dawn, I am old enough to remember a time when men were men and women were women and little green furry creatures from Betelguese were little green furry creatures from Betelguese. (Apologies to Douglas.) The point is surely that if you take away the toys then playtime becomes boring. 

In reply to Justin Hunt

by Derek Chirnside -

Thanks Justin.  I've just been browsing, and here is a statement of the PRO few options view: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=240774#p1045498

I quote: 

"We have clients where every course is a new and different insane Willy Wonka UI of sized and colored fonts, blinking text, and convoluted table layouts. I am called in on a "theme" issue, and have to explain to the client that legitimate options in the HTML editor are causing their problems.

I'm not opposed to occasional special stuff in an interface, but we do not do learners any good by giving instructors who know little about UI the keys to the kingdom in a WYSIWYG editor. If an instructor is going to make inline changes that go against what the theme dictates, he or she should have to know enough to do it in the HTML markup."

There is actually a tracker item here https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDLSITE-3209 about putting documentation up about the reasons for the decisions around Atto in it's final incarnation.

I quote:

When we reviewed the list of buttons included in the Atto toolbar, we made choices about each button based on the impact on various things such as Accessibility, Theming, Applicability. The reasoning for those decisions was not written down at the time, but should be included in the Atto help documentation, so that institutions are aware of the potential drawbacks/benefits of enabling/disabling each button.

This was raised at Moodle Moot AU 2014.

-Derek

by Jez H -

"Puzzled, I checked with a developer I knew, who warned me that the choice of a new editor was quite ideological, that the decision was based on the assumption: "Style should be left to the theme and site designer and done in CSS so its consistent site wide"

I have read this kind of thing before in Moodle and seen "hyped" (manufactured) examples of bad editing. My take is this:

• Do you trust your staff to use office applications?
  • When using office applications do your staff turn everything green and wobbly?
  • If they do, how do you deal with it, do you:
  1. Lock down the software, turn everything off, strip it back, don't let them do anything
  2. Put out some brand / style guides, set your standards / expectations and maybe provide some templates

Here is the argument for stripping down Moodles text editor:

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=223125

And here is the same argument / example applied to MS Word:

Whichever option you choose for editing office documents will probably work for any other "publishing" platform / application including Moodle.

If the strategy being taken with Atto is "lock down" we wont ever move to it.

An old quote by one of our Acedemics taken from a newsletter in 2004:

And an example of the kind of things we do to keep it that way:

http://styleguide.bcu.ac.uk/ (that one is aimed at people building interfaces, there are equivalents for other applications, different types of user)

Oh, and my final word is this... lets say you lock down the text editor and have no style guides, what happens when your students click to open files, office documents, pdf? What will they look like?

Locking down Moodles text editor pretty well pointless as a lot of the content available through Moodle courses is not even created in the text editor.

Locking down Moodles text editor is counter productive all it will do is discourage users from adding content into Moodle and encourage scroll of death, because scroll of death is the only way they will be able to format content the way they want to.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Jez H

by Colin Fraser -

In my first lesson as a student of digital design, long ago, in a galaxy far, far away, the lecturer asked the basic question, 

"If you have 120 fonts, and 16 colours, would you want to use them all on one page?" 

The answer was, obviously, no. 

He then proceeded to show us examples of precisely that. 

"When using capitals, or bold, or italics, to emphasize text, would you want to use ALL capitals, or bold, or italics, in a document?" 

Again, the answer was, obviously, no.

He then proceeded to show us documents and other examples of precisely that. 

"There are two points here, one is because you can do it, should you? The other is never underestimate the ability of the untrained to descend into bad taste." 

Which, although that was a long time ago, is still relevant. 

To overcome this problem I did create a short Moodle course once that outlined a basic styling guide and courses on that Moodle did not change one whit. Eventually I got so sick of seeing yellow text on a white background that I did the first three slides of a PowerPoint with that. I then displayed the style guide, right then and there, and most took it on board after that. Course styling improved a lot. So I have to go with you Jez, get people thinking about it is a lot more productive than denying them access to styling.     

And, on the other hand, who ever said that marketing had to be tasteful..like this

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Guillermo Madero -

Good Lord Colin! Where did you find that!!

Hens, doves, cat-like creatures and winged pigs?

I will now flash myself to forget that I saw that

In reply to Guillermo Madero

by Colin Fraser -

Guillermo, it just strikes me as being a lot more useful in this modern age to identify core requirements and then add to suit your particular vision than to have everything in the box only to find the half of it is just not appropriate, is not useful, or does not suit your need.  Mix'n'Match, if you like. Not everyone wants a complex quiz module, but a simplified one would suit primary schools, say. Not everyone wants forums, junior primary, primary maybe not, but universities, for sure. If one junior primary wants it, they can download the plug in and the 600 others don't. What suits their individual clientèle? That is the sort of thing I am considering here.   

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

There's been a few 'interesting discussions' of late in these forums and up til now I've resisted participating but now ... have to ask ...

What would be 'core' to the various offerings?

Saw a gentleman make some $'s off Joomla when it was of interest to K12 entities here in Texas.   What he did ... discovered how Joomla installed with demo data and created his own 'demo data' which happened to be how a 'typical' school might organize their web site.

The same could be done with Moodle.  Matter of fact, I did, at one time, offer a complete moodle 'package' for the specific purpose of schools meeting a testing requirement.

Here's one discovered recently: http://dreamedy.com/

The much of what I saw in the demo vidoes is core to Moodle (they don't hide it, BTW, they do advertise as a "Moodle bridge'.   Hmmmmmmmm ....

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

(from Ken).... how Joomla installed with demo data and created his own 'demo data' which happened to be how a 'typical' school might organize their web site...

You mean like http://school.demo.moodle.net/ ?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Sorry, wrong choice of terms ... what he did was to install a joomla and configure it like a school might configure it with content areas for one elementary school, one junior/middle school, one HS and an area for Administration, etc..  He then did an sql dump of that database and renamed it joomla.sql.   In a fresh unzipped package for Joomla, he replaced his joomla.sql dump with that of the original joomla.sql, and rezipped the package.   When one installed his Joomla, one had a Joomla site with much of the organization of the content done ... IF one's school had one elementary, one JH/MS, one HS.  Time saver.  He did charge around $80.00 for his package and did provide a site for support for one year.

The NZ schools version of Moodle does something similar ... provides Google SSO and does have categories (no courses) that all NZ schools "should have".

Same could be done for just about any K12 entity in any nation.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Derek Chirnside -

Packages and Distros

For reference, from Ken's post: Moodle in Schools in NZ: http://www.moodleinschools.org.nz/ - Had a course menu (good solution to the scroll of death), course size reports, iCal support, Book and a few other goodies as standard before Moodle core did.

And for interest: drupal distros, https://www.drupal.org/download as a point of comparison of what could be.  smile

Plus CLAMP: http://www.clamp-it.org/blog/2014/09/12/new-moodle-lae-releases-for-2-5-8-2-6-5-2-7-2/

Moodle thoughts: http://www.open-thoughts.com/2011/11/standard-moodle-distribution-or-flavour-which-version-is-for-me/ and the flavours option: https://moodle.org/plugins/pluginversions.php?plugin=local_flavours possibly not supported.

-Derek

In reply to Jez H

by Don Hinkelman -

Made in Moodle 2.5, by Matt, who was quoted in the beginning of this discussion...

by dawn alderson -

Hi,

lots of points in this thread and I am struggling to keep up, sorry about that. The Atto discussion and functionality and the optional use of Tinymce-marketing and Japanese cars (I think!)-well am bit confused.

However, one thing I am crystal clear about is this:

Don's screenshot there. Timely, very timely.

I shall tell you why. Over the forums during theses last weeks it has been suggested that schools are becoming a small-almost non-existent entity in the moodle adopters stats pool-compared with universities/corporate and what not. I am not 100% sure about that, but that is my understanding from the discussions. I COULD BE WRONG!

Nonetheless, when Don posted that screenshot it made me think about looking across the web for a KS1 exemplar course/theme in action-or ANYTHING with v2.7....nowt.

I think, to see Atto in action, 'is so' important for faith-building...and yet we have nothing out there...do we? It is all very well saying schools have this and that and do this and that...if I am moving from BB/Canvas or whatever and want to search for some eye-candy about the editor/themes/features and functionality say-the general affordances for my Moodle in terms of developmetally appropriate practice for 3-4 /4-5/6-7/7-8/8-9/9-10/ etc year olds it aint there.

Now-what I did find was this:

http://www.schoolanywhere.co.uk/schools/pri_vle/index.php

How about some joined up thinking and having some exemplars on a site somewhere e.g. Mount Orange....for this age range....including 2.7.......and 2.6-or showcase all versions....I dont know-but as it stands....Do you think schools have lost interest? Mmmmmm-up to you to answer that.

cheers,

Dawn

by Don Hinkelman -

These screenshots are of a teacher training course--2nd year university students learning how to teach English as a foreign language in an elementary school.  Matt made the site for all four sections of the course using the 2.5 editor--then the course was upgraded to 2.7. However, now these colors and fonts are impossible to make in Moodle 2.7 with the Atto editor. We cannot switch our site back to the TinyMCE editor because: a) we need the video recording plugins that are developed for Atto and b) Atto is the future for Moodle and will have long-term support.

by Colin Fraser -

Don, colours can be added, manually, using either a span or a tag, and atto does not filter them out, but I do not have HTMLTidy turned on. Will test and let you know...

EDIT: Turned HTMLTidy on and made no automagic impact to the atto editor - and there does not seem to be any impact when the "Clear Formatting" button is pressed either. (But I had assumed that was related to the auto-formatting when importing or pasting from Word anyway.)

by Mauno Korpelainen -

Interesting discussion going on here - and I think we have seen similar discussions a couple of times since 2005 wink

Stuart started both "Dear Moodle, can we drop tinymce yet?" and "new wysiwyg editor for moodle" as a member of Sussex eLearning Team. They have done a lot of great work for "standard" moodle - to make it look consistant in all devices, to simplify the UI, to give control of content to theme css and so on. They simply did not want to realize that there are different kinds of moodle sites, user groups using moodle with different needs. I have tried to battle for all kinds of custom settings since 2007 to allow different user groups AND different users have different kind of moodle. See for example "The most important decision on editor integration". This latest editor battle was not made only on the basis of usability or accessibility (of UI and content). One of the main reasons was YUI - Atto was "fully moodle", written to use YUI that is now suddenly no more actively supported. Developers were also discussing about mathematics support, mobile support etc.

Moodle 2.7 allows changing default editor on site level but also on user level - in user profile - and teachers can create some parts of content with TinyMCE and switch to Atto if they need some Atto plugin - if they have heard about it. I wonder what video plugin for Atto is not available in TinyMCE? I have been the main administrator of our home town moodle for years and schools have not been really interested in moodle's UI. Default settings of moodle are made for universities. It's very usefull for university students to see in teacher education how difficult it can be to create content for kids in moodle if you want to follow the usability studies for kids (3-12 years) : see for example

best practices for web design for kids

http://www.nngroup.com/articles/childrens-websites-usability-issues/

http://www.nngroup.com/articles/usability-of-websites-for-teenagers/

Hunting for things to clickTabbed browsingScrollingSearchPatienceAnimation
and
sound effects
Kids
(3–12)
yes no no no maybe yes
Teens
(13–17)
maybe maybe maybe no no maybe
College students
(18–24)
no yes yes yes no no
Adults
(25–64)
no maybe yes yes yes no
Key:  
yes Enjoyable, interesting, and appealing, or users can easily adjust to it.
maybe Users might appreciate it to some extent, but overuse can be problematic.
no Users dislike it, don't do it, or find it difficult to operate.

Moodle could have more such activities like old Storytelling (moodle 1.X) to help modification of moodle to become more "suitable" for young students or activities like Game to help teachers in creation of interactive content. Colors are important for kids (they do live in a colorful world, not in a minimalist gray world) and easy-to-use Ui is important for teachers. Most of them really don't know css at all - if they use moodle they usually add or embed files / links or copy/paste text that typically looses formatting in moodle wide eyes . Adding videos should not be a huge problem anymore with media plugins and filters although different tablets may not always play videos made in "wrong format". A bigger problem is that world wide web is full of cool tools for creating interactive content but teachers cannot always embed that "shared" code because security settings of moodle do not allow teachers to use that code in such activities that also students can use. And I am not going to say a word about using mathematics in moodle - in this discussion big grin

Average of ratings: Useful (6)
In reply to Mauno Korpelainen

by Colin Fraser -

Mauno, you say it so much better than I ever could... excellent ideas. 

So, how about a minimalist "out-of-the-box" Moodle and users download and install the plugins they need? Would that meet the idea that you, and Derek, and Jez, and Don, and Tom, Dick and Harry have been discussing, "what about individual needs?" 

That would mean that a small crew would be needed to concentrate on the really minimalist Moodle, making it robust and aiming at being bombproof, and everyone else just concentrating on building and testing plugins. Those plugins would need to be rigorously tested, before they made it to the plugins download page. But as long as they played nicely together, would it not mean Admins could build the Moodle their site really needs?  

In reply to Colin Fraser

by dawn alderson -

Yes.  BUT.  Attention to detail is a must. 

yours,

Dick

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Floyd Saner -

So why not just turn off elements that are in core Moodle to create a more simplified version?  Julian Ridden had an interesting post on this about 8 months ago,  http://moodleman.net/articles/dont-blame-tool-blame-setup/

Floyd

In reply to Floyd Saner

by dawn alderson -

Because the alternative suggestion implies an opportunity to undertake a scoping exercise across all moodle versions, across time, to seek info that can be considered in terms of L&T enhancement. Just an example: stuff/functionality etc no longer/ very effective in core, see 1.9 for example and so on...

That scoping exercise is almost completed smile

D

In reply to Mauno Korpelainen

by Don Hinkelman -

Dear Mauno,

Thanks for taking a peek at this forum to offer an historical perspective and the most useful message so far (by votes). The chart you posted is very interesting. I will probably want to reference it in paper I am writing. But, excuse me, the colors you used are all wrong--I recommend you stick to commentary, not design. Actually, I know a good site designer you should hire to handle your color selection and font sizing.  </sarcasm> 

>> One of the main reasons was YUI - Atto was "fully moodle", written to use YUI that is now suddenly no more actively supported.   [note by Don: here we need a way to auto colorize/fontize a quoted phrase]

That's odd.  You say one reason Atto was chosen is YUI, but now YUI is dropped. Hmm.  But back to my original question, the editor 'selection' is not the point of this discussion, but rather whether the default editor chosen was ready for release. Where teachers are actively creating content (most places I believe) the design of the Atto editor dramatically hurts productivity. Crippling productivity was a choice, a misguided choice. The Atto editor needs to change about four points to restore productivity. More importantly, Atto should be enhanced with new features to accelerate content creation by teachers and those values should be given top priority in building Atto defaults.

>> Moodle 2.7 allows changing default editor on site level but also on user level - in user profile.

Well, shut my mouth. I did not know that--I thought it was a site setting only. Thank you, Mauno. Whoever decided to implement an individualized profile-selectable editor was not being so "arrogant". 

>> A bigger problem is that world wide web is full of cool tools for creating interactive content but teachers cannot always embed that "shared" code because security settings of moodle do not allow teachers to use that code in such activities that also students can use.

Well said. Creative, interactive content creation by teachers should be given priority, while limiting security issues. 

by Justin Hunt -

So Don, at the risk of trying to squish a tiger into a knapsack, what are these four things Atto needs ASAP and in core.  Developers love bullet points. (We still have those ....right?) . Personally I think its time we had the ability to drag and drop an image into the text area, or at least into a popup.

by Mauno Korpelainen -

Don,

that chart (table) was actually from Jacob Nielsen's study http://www.nngroup.com/articles/usability-of-websites-for-teenagers/ so I am just referencing the usability guru's work here.

If you check "insert emoticon button" in moodle the right colors (that moodlers cannot change) are of course

smile smile (happy) egg egg (neutral) and sad (sad) - altough moodle has also smileys like blush (blush), angry (angry), dead (dead) and YesNo (yes/no)

From traffic lights people take order red - yellow - green colors

but ... heart red is not so bad or sad heart

icon