2.7 Atto PoodLL Anywhere: bugs? Or admin settings?

2.7 Atto PoodLL Anywhere: bugs? Or admin settings?

by Clay Burell -
Number of replies: 10
Hi,

Experimenting with PoodLL everywhere to demo to language teachers. Have searched documentation but am still unclear.

I tried to respond with video in a forum reply (latest Firefox on Macbook Air 2013 Mavericks), and the video player came up but would not allow record (buttons grayed out/unresponsive--see screenshot):

jj

Also getting an unsightly bit of code when embedding audio (image below). I do have admin privileges, but searching settings did not give me a solution. Any help appreciated.

audio

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Clay Burell

Re: 2.7 Atto PoodLL Anywhere: bugs? Or admin settings?

by Justin Hunt -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Clay

I think there are two issues. The first issue, where the buttons are greyed out, is because you can't get a connection to the red5 server (tokyo.poodll.com). That is my bad. I just rebooted it now and it should be ok. It is fairly stable these days, but every now and then it gets overloaded. If that turns out to be a problem, you can set up your own server.

The second issue looks to be because you have both the Moodle multi media plugins filter and the PoodLL filter (and possibly other filters too ..) operating on the same audio link.  Try turning off the multi media plugins filter temporarily and see if it sparks into life. Generally moving the PoodLL filter higher in the filter list, than multimedia plugins, solves the problem. If you still get issues, usually in labels, you can turn off mp3/mp4 or flv handling for one or the other of the filters to be sure of the job.

After doing all that, does it now work ok?

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Justin Hunt

by Clay Burell -

Hi Justin, and thanks for suggestions.

The video recorder is responsive now, so that's fine, thanks, but...it still won't embed. I get this:

I have:

1. Set PoodLL filter to all default settings.
  2. Set filters as below (and tried multimedia both on and off, with same error):

(Listened to your podcast last week and enjoyed, by the way. I think our language teachers will be eager to explore PoodLL once we figure this out.)

In reply to Clay Burell

by Justin Hunt -

When you finish recording via tokyo.poodll.com, your moodle server then attempts to download the file from there. So it is a server to server connection. The error you are getting indicates that it can't do that for some reason. 

Soooo its a bit strange having both the server down issue and this issue at the same time, and I did a little checking.  It turns out I am out of disk space, but I am not really out of disk space, so there are a few issues at my end. I think if you don't check the "mp4" or "mp3" boxes in the video and audio recorders, you may still be able to record. 

Sorry for the hassle. I am looking into it.

Justin 

In reply to Justin Hunt

by Clay Burell -

Thanks J,

FYI, I was able to record, without checking mp4 or mp3. It played back after rendering fine. So it seems the embed part is the hitch.

Sorry for the hassle too. I suppose we have to roll with bumps as they come, so I hope it ends up painless and helpful.

Best,

Clay

In reply to Justin Hunt

by Justin Hunt -

It turns out that I was out of "inodes" on the server. 

It seems to be fixed now. Please try again.

Justin

In reply to Justin Hunt

Re: 2.7 Atto PoodLL Anywhere: All good

by Clay Burell -

Thanks, Justin. All's well.

While I have you, can you give a link to any Language Learning Moodle quiz demos I can share to my Language teachers this week? Big pitch for Moodle adoption at my school, and I'd love to link language teachers to a demo site that would show PoodLL full-force.

Best,

Clay

In reply to Clay Burell

by Clay Burell -

Justin, never mind on that last request. I found your PoodLL Demo Site and it serves admirably, thanks. smile

In reply to Clay Burell

by Justin Hunt -

Ok. There is actually a PoodLL course out there that is a little more practical, ie it has real activities on it. 

I will post that link here shortly.

In reply to Justin Hunt

by Clay Burell -

Hi Justin,

Friendly reminder of that "promised" link. Giving a presentation in less than 24 hours, so if you could share ASAP, I could include it, thanks.

Clay

In reply to Clay Burell

by Justin Hunt -

The link is http://hub.moodlejapan.org/ and the course is "mostly talking activities" but there are a number of other good courses on there that show Moodle off well. 

BUT *heavy sigh* the reason I did not share the link, and that I just gave a heavy sigh, is that they have been moving servers and still have not got the DNS sorted out for that yet. So we can't access it.

I will ping them again and see if I can get a resolution.