Collapsed Topics - Open or Closed when returning to a page

Collapsed Topics - Open or Closed when returning to a page

by Richard Clay -
Number of replies: 7
Does anyone know if there is any way of forcing the collapsed topics to be shown as collapsed every time a user leaves and then returns to a course page?

Thanks
Richard

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Richard Clay

Re: Collapsed Topics - Open or Closed when returning to a page

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Gareth will probably reply to you at some point in time.

Your question made me wonder why one would want to do this?  It seems to defeat the reason for installing collapsed topics.  Why would you not want to let a user return to their moodle as they left it the last time?  Oh well, you probably have a good reason.

This also made me think about the reverse of your question.  How do you make it so that all topics are "open".  Ah, I think that I know how to do this... remove collapsed topics.  Maybe this would be an alternative option for you.

Other folks here on moodle.org might be able to help.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Richard Clay -

I personally don't want to do it but am following up a request from a tutor. I don't think the request defeats the reason for installing collapsed topics but is in fact celebrating how well this format works in cleaning up a page and in condensing information. The tutor like the cleanness and order that collapsed topics offer and would like this clean layout to be shown when a user returns to a course page after visiting somewhere else.   I think they are actually thinking that it might save a click for the user in closing a topic that the have already visited. 

It's no biggy but I'm just wondering if it's possible? I would be quite interested in knowing the how the collapsed topics format remembers the last topic you viewed and how long it remembers it for. 

In reply to Richard Clay

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Richard,

If you look in: Home-> Site administration -> Plugins -> Course formats -> Collapsed Topics - you will find a setting 'defaulttogglepersistence' to turn of the functionality that remembers the state of the toggles.

CT does not strictly remember the last topic viewed but rather the state of all of the toggles for that course and user.  This is stored in the database for as long as Collapsed Topics is installed or you have just turned 'defaulttogglepersistence' off.

Gareth

In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Rick Jerz -

It appears that Richard does not want to remember the last state, but rather wants all topics always closed.  If one turns off the defaulttogglepersistence, does this tell Collapsed Topics to always keep topics closed (or open)?

Richard, the tutor is neither the instructor or the student.  So I would put less emphasis on what the tutor wants.  Actually, it might be beneficial for the tutor, who might sit right next to the student, to see the student's moodle in the state that the student sees it.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Rick,

The setting 'defaulttogglepersistence' turns off the functionality for remembering the toggle state.  By default this will be 'closed', however, there is another setting 'defaultuserpreference' where all closed / open can be set and perhaps (I have never checked that combination) that with 'defaulttogglepersistence' set to 'Off' and 'defaultuserpreference' set to 'Open all' that everything would always be open when the user visited the page.

Cheers,

Gareth

by Rick Jerz -

Gareth, now I know that there is even more flexibility in Collapsed Topics than I previously knew about.  Thanks.

by Richard Clay -

Right - thanks! I'd seen that setting before but not fully realised what it was for. Thanks for clarifying