Moodle Universal Cache, filesystem available space, designer mode

Moodle Universal Cache, filesystem available space, designer mode

by Peter Kehl -
Number of replies: 1

Hi,

I'm trying to use a file-based Moodle Universal Cache store (tmpfs on /dev/sha). Does file cache store check for available space on the filesystem and does it fill it up only to a certain point, or could it fill it up fully, please? And can I configure it in any way?

Also, if I use theme designer mode, can it benefit from Moodle Universal Cache? I know it's up to the modules to choose what to cache, but in general, how much of cache benefit is outside of themes as compared to within themes (which are probably not cached in designer mode)?

Best regards,

- Peter

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Peter Kehl

Re: Moodle Universal Cache, filesystem available space, designer mode

by Matteo Scaramuccia -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Peter,
unfortunately no, the MUC file store does not check for the available disk space, yet.

Theme designer mode is related to processing CSS, JS and YUI image files so it is a relevant part but not in terms of disk space and it is not related with MUC. To improve performances you can get a look at $CFG->localcachedir (2.6+, MDL-40545), where e.g. the theme cache is saved: there, you can use tmpfs, given that the proper size must be found using the application just after some clicks to see the amout of files cached - to tell the truth you should make a more appropriate test simulating the normal usage of your istance to get nearest the right size used by that particular Moodle version used for your instance.

HTH,
Matteo