Moodle Outcomes

Moodle Outcomes

by Kimerly Wilcox -
Number of replies: 6

I'd like to hear how instructors are using the Moodle Outcomes feature. Have you developed any best practices?

Using 2.6 currently.

Thanks -

Kim Wilcox

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Kimerly Wilcox

Re: Moodle Outcomes

by John Provasnik -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

*Bump*

I'm curious in the Outcomes feature as well: https://docs.moodle.org/26/en/Outcomes

Here's a video of outcomes in action:

I'm looking for a way to give a select few kids an extra assignment (as enrichment) but not GRADE it with a letter grade. I tried using a Scale, but it assigns a grade anyway (which is what I think it's supposed to do though). I'm wondering if Outcomes is a good way to "grade" an assignment (with a competency) without actually giving it a gradebook entry grade.

Has anyone used Outcomes that can provide some feedback?

thanks,

In reply to John Provasnik

by Clay Burell -

I'm also keen on Outcomes and their potential. As things stand right now, I've managed a workflow in which each row in Assignment rubrics (Advanced Grading, you know) represents one of our departmental outcomes. So a rubric on, say, argumentative writing has the five outcomes of that Writing Standard each in one of five rows.

Outcomes are also added to the assignment.

So when I mark the rubric, the outcomes below it in the assignment are easy to rate on our 4-3-2-1 scale ("exemplary" to "does not meet standard") because Rubric Row 1 is Standard 1, and so forth to Row and Standard 5.

I hope the Gradebook overhaul coming next month allows a more user-friendly way of grouping outcomes in the outcomes report and the gradebook. Right now, I've made a Category called "Standards," weighted it 0%, and individually arranged each assessed outcome earliest to latest in sub-categories (Argumentative Writing, Research Skills, Formal Speeches, etc). That takes way too much clicking, but the results are beautifully informative: I see, outcome by outcome, each student's progress across several formative and summative assessments.

I'm hoping such arrangements will be possible by default--the current "outcomes after assignment" default in gradebook is not helpful at all for at-a-glance data analysis of outcomes. If it's not, I'll be trying to persuade my school to pay for a customized Moodle Gradebook (or third-party gradebook) that does, by default, put outcomes together in an Outcomes category, earliest to latest.

Finally, the added value of Outcomes based rubrics is the "Export Rubric Scores" function in Admin> Assignment > Export Rubric Scores" This gives a sortable spreadsheet of all students, by outcome, for Response to Intervention/Differentiation [your buzzword here] purposes. Our teachers are currently having to slave away at data entry to put outcome scores into spreadsheets, by outcome and by student, as if the idea of educational technology working for us, instead of us working on it, had never occurred to our regime. (We're a Google School. Use Google Docs for rubrics, and Google Spreadsheets for data analysis, and enjoy doing all that work for Google--instead of letting Moodle do it for you in a click.

This 4-minute video might help:

And screenshots might clarify smile

Outcomes-based rubric followed by Outcomes for assignment--ease of entry:

Note "Conventions" in Rubric is also Outcome E in outcomes. They go in order, top to bottom, on both rubric and outcomes. Easy. (Also note rubric scores essay with differentially weighted cells for Letter Grade or Points.)

Gradebook View, Top--Outcomes manually placed in own category, and manually placed earlier to later per outcome:

Top view:

Gradebook outcomes manual arrangement

Bottom view: (I like the averages per assessment for the whole class.)

Gradebook outcomes manual arrangement2

Rubric-Outcomes-Export Scores flow

Rubric-Outcomes-Export Scores flow

Exported Outcomes Spreadsheet

Export Rubric Outcomes

Student Outcomes Report (but manually arranged--unfortunate--needs an option for this to be default).

Student Outcomes Report

hth. Following this thread in hopes to learn some best practices and future gradebook changes. smile

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Clay Burell

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Clay - just wondering if there were meant to be screenshots in the spaces you've left in your last post? I can't see them if there were. A lot of the gradebook improvements have been added to the QA testing site now http://qa.moodle.net/ if you want to head over and take a look - there is a Gradebook QA course  to explore-  with hundreds of students .

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Clay Burell -
Excellent news, Mary. Will head over.

Dropped images didn't work on op, so I edited (and added a 4-minute video).

Many thanks~ smile
In reply to Clay Burell

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Just to alert the people reading this thread about outcomes that there is a new thread on the QA site gradebook course here: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/view.php?id=56 courtesy of Clay.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Doris Johnson -

Hi Mary, I was wondering if you could help me understand the outcomes report. I have a quiz (world history) I assigned an outcome to. There are 5 students in the course. I gave 4 students a level of poor and 1 student a level of acceptable. In my outcomes report it gives the average as acceptable. That doesn't seem correct. I am attaching an image. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Attachment outcomeswrong.png
Attachment worldhistorypoor.jpg