EU cookies law and Moodle

EU cookies law and Moodle

by Gonzalo Castells Ortells -
Number of replies: 4

Hello,

I have been looking for a plugin for Moodle for the user to explicitly accept the cookies in the site, with no luck. I have learned that default cookies from Moodle don't need to be accepted by the user because they are necessary for the purpose the user visits our page, but still, I think Google Analytics cookies need to get the user's permission.

Thus, I'm surprised I couldn't find anything of the kind, since other major management systems (at least, cms) have lots of plugins to do that.

Regards, 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gonzalo Castells Ortells

Re: EU cookies law and Moodle

by Dave Perry -
Picture of Testers

We looked around at the time, and concluded that a notice saying 'we use google analytics for statistical purposes - click here <link> if you want to opt out of this' after a message warning them cookies were needed to make logins work, was sufficient.

In reply to Dave Perry

by Gonzalo Castells Ortells -

The <link> would take the user out of my moodle site right?

Thank you! 

by Dave Perry -
Picture of Testers

In the Google case, yes - as the link is to opt the user out of google analytics from ANY website that has them.

Here's our message (including the GA optout link):

This site uses cookies to better facilitate your experience. The majority of web browsers automatically accept cookies. You can avoid this by changing the settings of your browser. Please be aware that if you stop your browser accepting cookies you will not be able to login to moodle.

As part of Google Analytics, we use first-party cookies to monitor traffic to this site. To opt out of being tracked by Google Analytics across all websites click here

by Matt Bury -
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Gonzalo,

Google make opting out of their tracking as difficult and inconvenient as possible, after all, tracking users across the web is their main source of income and profitability.

You can get better tracking statistics (Google doesn't share all the data it gathers from your site with you) with free and open source analytics software, either self-hosted or as a service. The one that I have most experience with is http://piwik.org/ and they make it easy for visitors to your site to opt out of tracking (they simply check a box and it's done) and without preventing them from logging into your Moodle (Moodle's session cookies still work).

Like Moodle, they have official partners that'll provide Piwik as a service: http://piwik.org/hosting/ and there are other independent service providers, as well as being able to install and host it yourself.

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation to Piwik or anyone who works for them.