How can I create a hot spot in Moodle?

by Jan Sosniecki -
Number of replies: 3

I am interested in a kind of test where the student has to identify an element on a picture.

If I would the student to learn the parts of the body, arm, head, finger, a way culd be a picture where the student can click and by this click on the picture identify the (correct) element.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jan Sosniecki

Re: How can I create a hot spot in Moodle?

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
In reply to Tim Hunt

Ang: Re: How can I create a hot spot in Moodle?

by Jan Sosniecki -

Thanks

In reply to Jan Sosniecki

Re: Ang: Re: How can I create a hot spot in Moodle?

by Brian Evans -

Jan,

The drap-and-drop labels questions (there are two of them) from OU are very good.  However, they are not hot spots.  I use them but wish there were a hot spot question type because labels can very quickly crowd an image.  They are also difficult to use if the thing you want your students to identify is small.

For example, I sometimes teach geography and use the drag-and-drop questions for labeling continents and oceans.  However, I cannot figure out how to create a question that requires students to identify all 50 of the United States.  Even doing a small subset of the 50 states quickly clogs the map with labels and it is difficult to label small states like Rhode Island and Delaware.

One work-around is to label your image and then ask students to match the labels on your image to items from a drop-down list.  In my case, I could label California as 'A', Texas as 'B', and so on.  I would then ask my students to tell me (matching, multiple choice, short answer) which state was labeled 'A', which was 'B', and so on.