Guest access who can only view certain uploaded assignments

Guest access who can only view certain uploaded assignments

by Rachel Chavez -
Number of replies: 4

Hello,

Our teacher training tutors are trialling a project this year whereby their students upload their completed PDP in sections to Moodle through assignment activities. Each student also has a mentor (who may or may not be a member of our College) who needs to be able to access their mentee's uploaded assignment, but no-one elses.

I am struggling to find a way for this to work! I've set up groups each containing the student and their mentee. If I give the mentee student-level permissions they can't see any uploaded work unless they upload something themselves. If I give them non-editing tutor-level permissions they can see everyon'e uploaded work which goes against the relevant data protection issues in this scenario.

Is it possible to do what we need?

Kind regards,

Rachel Chavez

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Rachel Chavez

Re: Guest access who can only view certain uploaded assignments

by Dave Perry -
Picture of Testers

I'm thinking you need to clone the non-editing teacher role, then change the permissions of that role so it can't move around the groups freely (unsure if it's possible).

Though it might be easier to do a Roles Override just for that course, and set the non-editing teacher permissions for groups there.

HTH

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Rachel Chavez

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Couple of suggestions:

(1) have you tried the Parent role?

(2) Depending on how many you have, this might be unmanageable, but you could put each student and their mentor into a group together - the mentor with non-editing teacher permissions - and then remove from them the capability :viewallgroups. See Groups FAQ" How_do_I_restrict_a_teacher_to_view_only_information_about_the_groups_that_they_are_in?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Dave Perry -
Picture of Testers

I second Mary's (2) answer - I just didn't have time to look at the role permission options before going into a demo just now smile

In reply to Dave Perry

by Rachel Chavez -

Hi both,

I think that has done exactly what I need! There are only about 15 students so it won't take long to set them up into groups of one student plus one mentor. Thank you!

Rachel