Blank Enrolment Key doesn't work (non-blank ones do)

Blank Enrolment Key doesn't work (non-blank ones do)

by Jeffrey Jones -
Number of replies: 9

I'm using Moodle 2.6.4. I have an informational course with some activities in it (mostly questionnaires), and a need for opt-in communication through course announcements. I have the course set to accept self-enrolment, but since there's no need to restrict enrollment, I've left the enrollment key blank. But with a blank enrolment key, self-enrolment disappears altogether.

Site config:

• In " Site administration /Plugins / Enrolments / Self enrolment," "Require Enrolment key" is set to "No."

Course config:

• Self-enrolment is enabled, with a blank enrolment key.
  • The course is set to allow guests, with no key set for that either.

Results:

• Self-Enrolment is not listed as available in the course (not in the course listing, or inside the course)
  • In fact, "Course administration" isn't available to logged in users.
  • As soon as I enter an enrolment key, suddenly, the course becomes self-enrollable.

My previous version was 2.2, and self-enrollable courses with blank enrolment keys showed the enrolment option. What's happening here? Is this a change?

Thanks.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jeffrey Jones

Re: Blank Enrolment Key doesn't work (non-blank ones do)

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello Jeffrey - I have messaged you to say I have deleted your original post in the General Help forum so people can focus on this one. It's not helpful to post the duplicate a posting, and I think you have chosen better in the Enrolment forum wink In your Moodle, is it obligatory to add enrolment keys to courses? Can you check in Site administration>Plugins>Enrolments>Self enrolment to see if the box for requiring an enrolment key is checked?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Jeffrey Jones -

Got your message, not a problem.

As per my posting above, yes, I have removed the check from the site config requiring enrolment keys. I still have access to my 2.2 install, and the config is the same.

by Jeffrey Jones -

Not sure what to do here. Is this a bug? Should I start something in the bug tracker?

by David Oldham -

Just today, out of the blue, the Icon for open self-enrollment changed from the one with the arrow to one with a key which means a key is now required. Cannot find anyplace where a key is set at all. All enrollment key checkboxes are cleared yet a phantom enrollment key is now required for all courses!

We are stuck with Moodle 2.6, recently upgraded from 2.5. Wanted to go higher but we're limited by our PHP and MySQL versions.

Old stale thread, huh? No one interested anymore?

Attachment Screen Shot 2015-08-25 at 2.06.06 PM.png
In reply to David Oldham

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Have you looked in Site adminstration > Plugins >Enrolment >Self enrolment to double check that "require enrolment key" isn't checked?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by David Oldham -

Mary, Thank you for your quick response. And yes, we've been there. That's where we also turned on the password hint. It is giving us "D" as the hint. Come to find out this is the password of the person who uploaded the content to Moodle. So he decided to set an enrollment key to the word "Enroll." It didn't change the enrollment key. Still hinting at the "D" key word. When I enroll in a course I'm taken to the course, successfully enrolled.  

I did some searching in the database for the enrollment key and found they were set there! Cleared the fields and the phantom enrollment keys disappeared and the open enrollment icon returned.

David

In reply to David Oldham

by Mary Cooch -

Quote: don't know if there is a difference between version 2.5 and 2.6 in how notifications and enrollment keys are used in connection to the password of the authorized user being set for all the courses he uploaded.

Are you sure this "password of the authorized user" thing isn't the annoying" Google Chrome browser copying and pasting passwords into Moodle where it shouldn't" bug?  MDL-45772

In reply to Mary Cooch

by David Oldham -

Mary, 

I updated my initial response to you. I solved this by editing the db directly. There were no passwords set nor boxes checked that required an enrollment key. So I don't believe it was a Google paste error. Although I won't claim to know the ins and outs of this highly developed system.

David

In reply to David Oldham

by Mary Cooch -

Great that you fixed it! It just occurred to me about the browser pasting passwords without users realising, because this has happened a few times on our LearnMoodle MOOC we're running, where participants have not set an enrolment key and have then been surprised that their course has an enrolment key - and even more surprised when it turns out the enrolment key they unwittingly set was their own password mixed