Windows Standalone package - first timer having issues

Windows Standalone package - first timer having issues

by Morag Hughson -
Number of replies: 3

I have downloaded the standalone windows package with the hope of reviewing the moodle setup for suitability for the courses I want to create (after spending a little time on the demo sandbox). I am following the instructions here:-

https://docs.moodle.org/27/en/Complete_install_packages_for_Windows

From the downloads page I got Moodle version 2.7.1+, saved, extracted to a folder called moodle at the top of my d: drive, and ran the "Start Moodle.exe". This ran and I was able to direct my browser to localhost where it began to install as per the instructions.

I am running this on a Windows 8 laptop btw.

It got most of the way through the install and brought me to a page where it was showing me my admin's profile (which on the previous install page I had setup as per the instructions). It never actually got to the Front Page settings in the installation instructions, nor did it take me to the blank Front Page of my new site.

From the admin profile view, I clicked on home and it never resolved. I tried closing the browser and pointing it again to localhost which had previously resolved to something, now it did not.

I tried running "Stop Moodle.exe" but it didn't seem to do anything at all, so I rebooted the machine to ensure all previously started processes, apache, SQL etc were stopped.

Now with a clean reboot, I attempted to run "Start Moodle.exe" again and this time it doesn't appear to do anything. No cmd prompt comes up with the text saying apache is running etc. I tried running the exe from within a command prompt instead of just double clicking on it, in the hope of seeing some kind of error message out of it. But no, nothing. I don't know where this exe writes its error messages so not sure what to do next.

I see, near the bottom of the instructions, a comment that there may be problems using this package on Windows Vista and Windows 7. No mention of Windows 8 though.

Anybody got any pointers for me to see what I should do. Any installation log to see whether my installation really finished? Any error log for "Start Moodle.exe"?

All help greatly appreciated
Cheers
Morag

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Morag Hughson

Re: Windows Standalone package - first timer having issues

by Luis de Vasconcelos -
In reply to Luis de Vasconcelos

by Morag Hughson -

Thanks Luis, I saw that mentioned for Windows 7, didn't realise it applied to Windows 8 too. Is there some uninstall step I should follow to get rid of what I currently have installed?

EDIT: Found it! https://docs.moodle.org/27/en/Installation_FAQ#How_do_I_uninstall_Moodle.3F

EDIT 2: Hmm, can't connect to the database at localhost to drop it. Does this matter?

Cheers
Morag

In reply to Morag Hughson

by Morag Hughson -

Just to draw a line under this thread in case anyone else comes across it in a search.

I was able to drop the database as part of the uninstall by running the batch file to start SQL instead of running the "Start Moodle.exe" which doesn't work for my anymore. Then I deleted the folders as per the rest of the uninstall instruction.

I have updated the instructions I was following to include Windows 8 and to mention bitnami for the newer windows versions much earlier in the document. It would appear the document might now only apply to versions of Windows that are no longer in support? Happy editing it as a result of my experience to help others. Do not feel it is my place to remove it completely though smile (only my first day on here!)

Cheers
Morag

Average of ratings: Useful (1)