Non-editing teacher to enrol students not working in 2.2.7

Non-editing teacher to enrol students not working in 2.2.7

by M Williams -
Number of replies: 3

Hi Folks, 

I have create a course from a back up (after fixing a bug in it - another post) and have groups and groupings for my two teachers (Tx) and two students (Sx). I needed to set it up so that while it's the same course sets of students and teachers for that set can't see any other set that is using the course. The idea being that Admin would enrol a teacher and the teacher would enrol the students. Wed don't want these teachers to be able to modify teh course content, just see student progress. 

So with the groups and groupings set up T1 can see S1 and only S1. Excellent. But T1 can't enrol students even after I have explicitly set the non-teaching role to be able to manage manual enrolments. I even set T1 at the system level to be able to moodle:enrol but it's not having it. 

Does any one have any suggestions? I'm wondering if I were to duplicate a teacher role and downgrade it to allow the addition of users without course editing capability. Screens shot of capability of the role attached.

Attachment Report for capabilityOf EnrolUsers.jpg
Average of ratings: -
In reply to M Williams

Re: Non-editing teacher to enrol students not working in 2.2.7

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi M,

It sounds as though you need to allow the role of non-editing teacher to assign the role of student via the "Allow role assignments" tab in Administration > Site administration > Users > Permissions > Define roles. Please see the documentation Managing roles for further details. (it's not so intuitive, however enroling a user as a student in a course is counted as assigning them the role of student.)

In reply to Helen Foster

by M Williams -

Hi Helen, 

Thanks for the response. It's quite tricky in there isn't it.  I'll read and digest the details. Again. 

Cheers, 

In reply to M Williams

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Please let us know how you get on. If you still can't get things working, we can always try explaining things differently and try to improve the documentation.