Installation syntax/parse errors

Installation syntax/parse errors

by Sheta Kaey -
Number of replies: 6

I'm installing Moodle 2.6.1 (for now, until my host updates their PHP), and I receive the following errors on trying to visit my page at http://www.rendingtheveil.com/courses/

Warning: Unexpected character in input: '\' (ASCII=92) state=1 in /home3/rending/public_html/courses/lib/setup.php on line 806

Warning: Unexpected character in input: '\' (ASCII=92) state=1 in /home3/rending/public_html/courses/lib/setup.php on line 806

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING in /home3/rending/public_html/courses/lib/setup.php on line 806

I installed (no idea why italics aren't turning off here) via Quick Install on my CPanel, waited til installation was complete, and voila. Errors. Can you advise? Thank you.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sheta Kaey

Re: Installation syntax/parse errors

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Have you talked with your hosting company?  There have been times where this Quick Installers are quick, but don't work.

I am not an expert at debugging these messages, but you can check that your database's collation is set to utf8_unicode_ci.  Check that the permissions on your moodledata directory are set to 777.

Might you be able to tell us who your hosting company is?

How good are your computer skills?  I ask this because installing moodle manually is not that hard.  

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Sheta Kaey -

My hosting company is HostGator. My computer skills are good but I don't know php or MySQL.

In reply to Sheta Kaey

by Guillermo Madero -

Hello Sheta,

It's a PHP version issue. Wait till the PHP has been upgraded. For M 2.6 you need PHP 5.3.3 minimum; for 2.7 it should be 5.4.4.

In reply to Sheta Kaey

by Sabrina Hansen -

Hi Everyone,

Is my problem the same as Sheta's? When trying to install Moodle I receive this error message:

"Error: Database connection failed

It is possible that the database is overloaded or otherwise not running properly.

The site administrator should also check that the database details have been correctly specified in config.php

Warning: mysqli::mysqli(): (HY000/1045): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: YES) in C:\Users\shanse01\Documents\MoodleWindowsInstaller-latest-27-1\Moodle Try 3\server\moodle\lib\dml\mysqli_native_moodle_database.php on line 77"

I'm not sure what to do. Thanks for your help!
In reply to Sabrina Hansen

by Guillermo Madero -

Hello Sabrina,

No, it isn't, that message is because you haven't given user "root@localhost" access to your MySQL server; you need to give it the proper privileges. Please open a new thread (add a new discussion topic) ---edited: Oh, I see you already did it.

In reply to Sheta Kaey

by syed Adnan Haider -

RESOLVED by the following solution

All,

The problem I was having was resolved by setting the Hostgator PHP setting to "CURRENT." This is a menu choice under PHP administration resulting in PHP file processing by the most current PHP version available on Hostgator. Before the reset I was using a version earlier than 5.4.4

I appreciate all the feedback!!!

Best regards,