Installation

Installation

by H O -
Number of replies: 20

Hi,

I am trying to install moodle 2.71

I have uploaded via ftp, hosting is with Crazy Domains.

I am getting this error message.

Moodle 2.7 or later requires at least PHP 5.4.4 (currently using version 5.3.28).
Please upgrade your server software or install older Moodle version.

How do I upgrade my PHP version?

Thanks.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to H O

Re: Installation

by amit yadav -

Hi,

Please ask your web host to upgrade php to the latest version.

Thanks,

Amit Yadav

In reply to amit yadav

by john Simpson -

Yes, contact your host. I had the same problem, and ended up changing my host. Try scanning your control panel to find out if you can upgrade PHP. Good hosts will oblige, as it is important to them that they can provide other services dependant on php such as the latest wordpress, Drupal and joomla.

I asked this host and they obliged with giving me and now everyone else a one-click install moodle on their control panel.

http://gogethosting.co.uk/

Also you can install Moodle from hostgator, I also informed them I had a problem on installing moodle, and they obliged by infoming me that I now had a moodle 2.71, and yes I had a moodle 2.71 as claimed.

there are simple tutorials on how to install the latest moodle on youtube. It's important to have the latest moodle, because you need time to get used to working with moodle, before you are forced to the need of an upgrade, which on reflection of other experiences on this forum seems to be more complicated than a fresh install.

http://www.hostgator.com/

I would be interested in hearing what response you receive from your host.

In reply to john Simpson

by Robert Brenstein -
If you need to stay with this host and they can't offer PHP matching Moodle 2.7, you still have an option to install Moodle 2.6.
In reply to john Simpson

by H O -

Hi John,

Thank you for your reply. Crazy Domains has basically said they will not do it, some vague answer about a possible upgrade later and to check in with them later??...

Wondering if I should pursue this as I would prefer to start with the latest version.

In reply to H O

by Luis de Vasconcelos -

If you want the latest version of Moodle then maybe it's time to switch to a host that can give you what you want. Have you looked at the Moodle Partner options?

Starting with the latest version of Moodle makes the most sense for a new installation. And it's less work for you in terms of future upgrades.

In reply to H O

by john Simpson -

Most definately the links I gave you will give you the latest Moodle, and they are international with their first language English (an important factor). You will certainly get support from them in regards to any CMS and LMS applications. I suggest only ever committing yourself to one months payment to a host, until such time you are satisfied with them. It should cost you less than $10.

Much as I would like to support Moodle partners,  may I suggest you look them up on moodle search and let us know what you think of what precisely they are offering on their website. It's worth a discussion, and invaluable to the partners I'm sure.

In reply to john Simpson

by Miles McDonald -

I had the same problem (including a mysql of 5.0) with Whois.com and they said "We do not have provision to modify the shared servers as it will affect other accounts".  Hmmm

I will take your advice and try hostgator...

In reply to Miles McDonald

by john Simpson -

Same here, and that was what my second post was about here. They told me that they had noi intentions of supporting Moodle, eventhough they had it in their control panel as Moodle 2.7 with a dated PHP, of which they told me that they had intentions of upgrading in the future. So I changed my host. In fact I got two just in case.

Yes Hostgater or even better gogethosting. Because you simply click a button, and within a few seconds you will have a working Moodle 2.7.1+. I know, because I asked them to do it, and they happily obliged.

With hostgater, don't go for their one click install, or you will end-up with a dated Moodle. You have to set up your own database with permissions, and download the latest moodle to your public html files. There is a tutorial available on youtube if you need it. It's quite easy to do, although I did have a problem, but yet again my host was happy to assist and get it fixed.

In reply to john Simpson

by H O -

Hi John,

What do you make of this reply? I have asked for a refund as he claimed that moodle would intsall via their one click app, I said this was misleading and actually not true. Sounds like they are blaming moodle for not requesting a php upgrade. I have bought hosting with Go get hosting ...

"..Hello Hanie,

We deeply apologize for this. We support moodle, and they just always update their requirements and left PHP 5.3 for no reason. Please be advised that we support moodle, when it comes to older versions. You can always try to file a complaint regarding this matter. Please be advised that we are not Moddle, we do not know when will they upgrade their requirements and such. If you want us to host a moodle site for you, then you can check our Dedicated Packages. Please be informed that we also have a dedicated department who are handling refund request. Kindly send an email directly to customercare@crazydomains.com.

Thank you,..."

In reply to H O

by john Simpson -
Could you let us know if you are satisfied with Gogethosting? When you have access to your control panel, go to Cgi scripts, click Moodle not Moodle23,and you will soon have your Moodle 2.71.

I can't understand hosts complaining about moodle upgrading with a higher PHP, and you're not alone in experiencing such a situation.
 All popular softwares regularily update and upgrade and have a PHP dependancy. Moodle's structure is not unique. Website users demand Wordpress, Joomla, Drupal, form, questionaire, & survey filling software etc etc. They all require PHP updating. Can you imagine never updating or upgrading your linux OS for example, as that would be a security disaster. The same applies to the duty of webhosts, they must keep everything uo to date, and it doesn't seem to be a big deal to do so. A webhost who refuses to assist its customers in a basic service is a host who should be dumped.
In reply to john Simpson

by H O -

Hi John,

I started to install via the moodle (not 2.3) app, I got as far as admin registration, then it died.. I now get  a 

This webpage has a redirect loop

error on the url... I started to investigate but did not get around to it.. will try today (there seems to be some similar posts on this)

As for service with goget before I changed my name servers I asked support a question but have not had a reply since last Thursday.

I have dumped Crazy domains but not sure if I can get a refund...

In reply to H O

by john Simpson -

Hopefully you only paid for a monthly agreement, never accept yearly agreements until you are sure of your hosts services.

In reply to john Simpson

by H O -

Hi John,

I started to install via the moodle (not 2.3) app, I got as far as admin registration, then it died.. I now get  a 

This webpage has a redirect loop

error on the url... I started to investigate but did not get around to it.. will try today (there seems to be some similar posts on this)

As for service with goget before I changed my name servers I asked support a question but have not had a reply since last Thursday.

I have dumped Crazy domains but not sure if I can get a refund...

In reply to H O

by john Simpson -

I can't understand the installation of moodle problem . So I just made myself a folder in my html files, called moodle05, and then installed it, no problem. I now have another Moodle, which I don't need.

It's best to go to your filemanager and make and name your own folder, and put it  into yourpublic.html files.

In reply to H O

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Have they provided you a reason why they have not upgraded PHP from version 5.3?

In reply to Rick Jerz

by H O -

Hi Rick,

They have claimed that moodle have not notified them of the php required upgrade.

In reply to H O

by john Simpson -
PHP is so big now, it's everywhere for software, and good softwares keep upgrading, and PHP will continue to upgrade. Surely it's important for performance and to keep pHp etc to date. How some web hosts have a problem keeping themselves upo to date I don't understand.
In reply to H O

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Did they give moodle notification that they wanted to be notified about changes in Moodle?  smile

Also, when a product has no company (open ware), who do they expect to notify them?  If they had one copy of Moodle installed on their server correctly, they would get notifications about Moodle upgrades.

Realistically, they really do have problems tracking all component versions needed for all of the products that might be run from their server.  About the best that can be expected is for users, like you, to request newer versions of components (e.g., PHP), and see what they can do.

There are many competitors, so consider switching to a company that keeps their servers updated.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)