Something between Weekly and Topics format

Something between Weekly and Topics format

by g garcia -
Number of replies: 20

Hello everyone, I would like to know if it is possible in Moddle 2.7.1 this format:

Same course for students without dates

Something between Weekly and Topics format.

Features:

• The course starts when a student is enrolled on it (The course is adapted automatically to each student)
  • There is not a specific start or end date (so "Weekly format" is not possible)

• Each course lasts N weeks
  • Different students can be in different weeks in the same course (e.g. John in the second week and Jennifer in the last one)
  • There is one topic per week ("Weekly format")
  • All topics are unhide at the beginning
  • Topics are unhide automatically per week ("Weekly format" but we don't want dates and same unhide per all students)

I've been looking in all the new documentation, forums and plugin but no results sad

Any help will be appreciated, thanks in advance for your time!

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to g garcia

Re: Something between Weekly and Topics format

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Garcia,

There is not a course format that I know of that implements that sort of scenario.  There are weekly ones that hide forthcoming weeks and put the current at the top.

But what I think you would like is based upon the students enrolment date with sections acting like topics and only becoming visible to the student every seven day increments.  It is possible to write such a bespoke format as long as the enrolment date is within an accessible variable.

If you want to do this yourself, then have a look at: http://docs.moodle.org/dev/Course_Format and how the core and contributed formats are written.

Cheers,

Gareth

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by g garcia -

Hi Gareth, thanks so much for your reply. I'm using weekly format as you recommended me smile by default all forthcoming weeks are visible so I hid them with the eye icon but now they are still hidden no matter in which week we are (no automatic unhide)! Do we need to check any special options? I set up "hide section visibility" instead of "collapse section" (course edition). Thanks for your time!

With kind regards.

ggarcia

In reply to g garcia

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi ggarcia,

Oh, there is no automatic 'unhide' that would have to be done manually with the weeks format.  There is the Weeks reversed format https://moodle.org/plugins/view.php?plugin=format_weeksrev - but they are shown in reverse and it looks like its not being maintained.  Collapsed topics does have an option where the weeks are shown in reverse and it is maintained (me).  However, there is no specific format that does what you want it to do automatically, although it is technically possible to write.

Cheers,

Gareth

In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by g garcia -

Hi Gareth, finally I did by myself smile trying to simplify as much as I could! Using Moodle CSS classes, and yes it's automatic :D I'm so happy! Thanks for all your advices! (the explanation at the end of this thread)

In reply to g garcia

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Moodle does offer a feature called "activity completion" that let's students keep track of what they have done.  I use this.  It is easy to set up.  Students like it.

Moodle also supports conditional assignments, that can encourage the linear completion of activities.  I haven't used this, so I can't comment about its difficulty to apply.

I am a professor who does like to pace my courses, turning assignments on when ready.  But I have never wanted to do this student by student.

In reply to g garcia

by Hartmut Scherer -

Hi Garcia,

Did you try self enrolment as enrolment method? You can set the enrolment duration to days or weeks. Whenever the student enrols in your course, this is the beginning for him/her. There is no need for a specific start time. You could then restrict access to topic 2 by setting up conditions for completion of activities in topic 1. 

The enrolment duration will calculate the end date. After this the student will be removed from the course, i.e., all the course work done by the student will be removed either if I understand the Moodle docs correctly.

With kind regards,

Hartmut

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Hartmut Scherer

by g garcia -

Hi Hartmut, how are you? I hope you got some holidays ^^ I solved the automatic unhide of every course using css, thanks, however I tried what you said about self enrolment without any results. I read also in the documentation that whenever the student enrols in our course, this will be the beginning for him/her but that's not happening, the weeks keep on going! Did you try this? How did you set up enrolment date as the beginning of the course?

I have tried "unlimited self enrolment date" and "seft enrolment duration", but any of them solved the problem.

Kinds regards.

ggarcia

In reply to g garcia

by Hartmut Scherer -

Hi Garcia,

After I survived week one of the fall semester, I feel a lot better. I am glad to hear that you are still trying out personalized learning settings, using cohorts with self enrollment. When I read your post, I searched for tracker issues "self enrollment" & "cohort" and found a fixed issue: MDL-23875 for Moodle 2.4. I didn't see whether they also tested the duration of self enrollment. 

You may have detected a bug. Then, you need to add a tracker issue.

Alternatively, you can test self enrollment with custom profile fields (see my post from August 13, 2014). Perhaps that works with a time frame. As I am not using self enrollment at our site, I cannot give you more details.

With kind regards,

Hartmut

In reply to g garcia

by g garcia -

Thanks to everyone ^^

I got a general idea, however I'm following the Harmut advice, which fix more or less what I want!

This is my new settings for the Course A:

• "Weekly format": I get a topic per week (well, a section per week)
  • "Self enrolment": Different students can start in different weeks (so I don't have to create the course several times).

Will be each week automatic opened depending on the student?

• "Allowing only cohort memebers to self-enrolment": I can restrict students to particular courses.

Cohort A: John, Jennifer

Cohort B: Peter, Robin

Course A only for Cohort A (by self-enrolment)

At first, I did it with groups but they don't have sense out-side a Course, I cannot add members to a group if they are not already enrolled on the course. So, I found Cohort, which saved my problem. Now, i got what I sketched at the beginning of this thread :D

Kind regards!!

ggarcia

In reply to g garcia

by Hartmut Scherer -

Hi Garcia,

Beside Cohorts you could use (custom) profile fields (see HERE). Mary Cooch published a nice screencast about

You can fine tune your project with the plugin "User profile fields: Multi select menu custom user profile field."

With kind regards,

Hartmut

by g garcia -

Very nice explanation, thanks for the video Hartmut, I will continue using "Cohorts" however "profile fields" is also a good option smile

Cheers.

ggarcia

In reply to g garcia

by Derek Chirnside -

I think you guys are onto something here.

There is regularly a request for something like this: management of a course when students can enrol at any time and you do not want them to proceed at their own pace, you want them week by week.

Conditional display is based ONLY on the previous completion condition and I think there is no way for this to be based on TIME.

So using the conditional option a student can race through the course.  I like this of course.  Why limit a student to your speed?  But there are some requirements where it is needed to have the release of new material each week.

Also: roll on conditional release of sections!!!!

Good luck

-Derek

In reply to Derek Chirnside

by g garcia -

Thanks Derek for your reply you are really kind, however finally I did it by myself, yes it's possible to do it using TIME! You don't need to change Moddle core (files) and it's just one line :D (the solution at the end of this thread)

In reply to g garcia

by g garcia -

Solution:

1) Using Weekly format I got "Current Week Class" (current) so the only thing I have to do it's just hide every week after that one.

http://jsfiddle.net/c0ca6t14/

But there is a problem: I cannot edit next weeks because I don't see them

2) Why don't we use JS to add "Hidden Class" (hidden)

http://jsfiddle.net/cb2yrzLx/

But there is a X-XSS-Protection issue when adding aditional HTML: A security vulnerability!

Anyways Moodle says it's possible but in last Chrome versions you will get an error.

3) So, let's use the base of point 1 looking for an "Edition Class" (editing)

http://jsfiddle.net/hnxbdfw5/

Here we are, It works, see screenshots 01 and 02

Copy this to your Theme/Clean "Custom CSS":

:not(.editing) .weeks>li.current ~ li {

display: none;

}

.editing .weeks>li.current ~ li {

display: inline;

}

Furthermore

We use "Self enrolment" to make courses start depending on when the students want to start its course and "Cohort" to avoid "Self enrolment" access to some courses.

Thanks for all your comments, hope this helps many people!

Attachment 01-hide-after-current.png
Attachment 02-unhide-when-editing.png
In reply to g garcia

by Hartmut Scherer -

Hi Garcia,

I found something in the Moodle Tracker MDL-47516 where Marina Glancy mentioned the plugin moodle format period. If you are using Moodle 2.8 you can try it out and download it from HERE. 

With kind regards,

Hartmut

by g garcia -

Hey!!! Happy new year Hartmut! ^^ How things are going?

I will update my Moodle to the last version to check this plugin. Do you know if the period of time is independent of the date? I mean, If Bryan (student B) starts the course when Anne (student A) is in the last period... will be a new set of periods starting for Bryan or it will see all the periods of Anne?? Everything for him will be open and visible because he has been enrolled in the course after Anne?

Thanks so much for you post!!

In reply to g garcia

by Hartmut Scherer -

Hi Garcia and happy new year,

I enjoyed a nice Christmas break here on Guam. Today registration for the spring semester finished. Classes will start Monday, January 12. I am glad that we could update to Moodle 2.8.1.

I use the periods course format for two web-enhanced classes in a face-to-face setting. Usually we meet twice a week. With periods, the current topic is automatically highlighted. Another great feature is that one only needs to set the number of days for the override period. Once a course is set up, a teacher can easily adjust it with a new date for the course beginning. But the topics will have the same time period for all students with the same start date.

Your case is different as you want a fixed course outline for each student, but with flexible start date for each student. As Marina mentioned in Moodle tracker, this is not yet possible with periods course format. 

With kind regards,

Hartmut

by g garcia -
OMG! You live in Guam, in the middle of the Pacific ocean more or less :D Greetings from Andalucia!

It's great that Marina's plugin set up your needs. Well, as you said before my case is different, It's just a matter of time that start date will be flexible for each student: Flexible Start Date Course Format ^^. I got the name, now I need just time to implement it! Thanks for your answer and good luck with the Spring semester! 

Best Regards,

ggarcia

In reply to g garcia

by Andre Cunha -
Hi g garcia,

this works in moodle 2.8 with essential theme? I tried to put in css of clean theme and not works. In the css of essential theme i had the same behavior (future weeks apper). What I`m doing wrong?

In reply to Andre Cunha

by g garcia -
Hello Andre.

It's working since Moodle 2.7.1 up to 2.9.1+. We are using 2.8.7 with the Moodle default theme (Bootstrap).

1) Check version

2) Check you are using Bootstrap

3) Check you are using Weekly format in your courses

4) Check you set up the code in "Site administration/Appearance/Themes/Clean/Custom CSS"

ggarcia

^^