Is it possible to restrict users to only view what they have added to the database?

Is it possible to restrict users to only view what they have added to the database?

by steve jackson -
Number of replies: 9

I would like to know if the moodle settings will allow users (student level) to only view what they have added to a database activity?

I would like to use this function to allow users to record pdf's, docx's etc. they found useful for a course, but I do not need any other users to be able to see the items of other users.

If there is another activity that will serve this purpose better, I am open to suggestions.

I use a third party software house to manage the code, so I'd like to do this in the moodle settings rather than involve the developers.

Thanks

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to steve jackson

Re: Is it possible to restrict users to only view what they have added to the database?

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Yes- set the entries to be approved (by the teacher) and just never approve them. That way, the teacher and student can see their own entries and nobody else can.

Re: Is it possible to restrict users to only view what they have added to the database?

by Itamar Tzadok -

You can try the Dataform moodle. There you can individualize the activity by enabling 'Separate participants' in the activity settings. You can also create a designated view to display selected resources (that you select) without student names and allow everyone to see this list. hth smile

by William Lu -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Yes, as Mary said, in Database settings > Entries > 'Approval required' set to Yes.

To make your form looks tidy, in template, remove ##approve## and ##disapprove##, then no teacher will be able to accidentally reveal one student's entry to other students.  

In reply to William Lu

by Juan F -

William, thank you for the information.  In my organization, I have a few teachers that have the role of manager.  When these teachers add to the database, all users are able to see the new items.  Any thoughts or suggestions?  Could I simply change the role for these managers to teachers in this course?

In reply to Juan F

by William Lu -

Hi Chris,

Could I simply change the role for these managers to teachers in this course?

No.

When a Manager/Teacher/Non-editing teacher added an entry, it will be approved by default, and no permission setting for this default approval. 

Work around:

1. Create an addition student account for those 'Managers/Teachers/Non-editing teachers'. When they need to add an entry which has to be approved, use the student account.

2. Are you going to hide those teacher's entry? Then simply duplicate your Database and 'Hide' it from student view. Label it as 'Teacher use Only' (Hidden)

3. Do you want Teacher and Students to use same Database but to have some fields which should be hidden forever? Then don't list them in either 'List view' nor 'Single view', ask your teachers to click 'Edit' to view other 'unpublished' info.

In reply to William Lu

by Juan F -

Willian, this is brilliant.  You've definitely 'mastered' the database feature in Moodle.  I look forward to becoming stronger in it because it seems quite useful and powerful.  By the way, I loved your 'Make a calculable Database' presentation.

Thanks, Chris

In reply to Juan F

by William Lu -

Hi Chris,

Thank you very much for your complimentary.

Yes, the Database activity is useful and powerful, but it is underestimated by Moodle HD.  I made a long wishlist last year, sadly, only a few were fulfilled.

It is so pleased to see more Moodlers are exploring it now. Please share your ideas here often, lets learn together J

In reply to William Lu

by Madhu Avasarala -

Hi William,

I have hear a lot about your java scripted calculable database but I have had no luck downloading from any of the links that I got from google. Could you kindly let me know of a reliable link?

Thanks,

Madhu

In reply to Madhu Avasarala

by William Lu -
Hi Madhu,

Happy New Year.

Sorry for the late reply, I just come back to work today. 

You can find all of my presets from Moodle.net:

https://moodle.net/mod/data/view.php?d=7&perpage=10&search=william&sort=0&order=DESC&advanced=0&filter=1&f_87=class&f_89=class&f_88=class&f_84=

You can also checkout my Demos from my Moodle cloud site and download any one which is useful for you.

https://william.moodlecloud.com

Good luck.

William