HTTP to HTTPS converter for external content

Re: HTTP to HTTPS converter for external content

by John Okely -
Number of replies: 4

Yeah the filter is added overhead. Then again, if we don't implement a filter, we will need the admin tool to run during upgrade, then again once the admin finishes putting together their whitelist.

The filter would work nicely for existing content, allowing the admin to locate items that don't work and gradually add them to the whitelist, without having to run the tool each time.

In reply to John Okely

by Kevin Wiliarty -

Is my understanding correct that a filter would miss URL resources set to display as embedded content? It seems to me that the external URL is not exposed to a filter in that case.

In reply to Kevin Wiliarty

by John Okely -

A filter could modify the embedded url, if it was programmed to do so. But it would not be able to change the url in the URL resource's settings. Only the admin tool could achieve that.

In reply to John Okely

by Kevin Wiliarty -

My attempt to write such a filter succeeded in influencing the intro contents of a URL resource -- so I know it is working -- but did not affect the value of the URL itself that was used to build the iframe markup. Looking at /mod/url/locallib.php I can see where some of the settings are being passed through filtering, but I can't see where $exteurl gets filtered. Is there some way, from within the filter (without hacking mod_url) to invoke a filter on that value?

I've tried the filter you proposed in connection with MDL-46296 and while it will modify an iframe src that is added to a textarea, it does not modify the "External URL" value for an embedded URL resource. I know that it won't change the setting, but it seems not to filter it, either.

In reply to Kevin Wiliarty

by John Okely -

In that case, perhaps a tool like enovation's would help? It could modify the external tool URL in the database.