Session Identifier Not Updated ?? Security Issue?

Session Identifier Not Updated ?? Security Issue?

by Richard Wallace -
Number of replies: 13
I am hosting a number of Moodle sites, and have just had one of my client run an "ÏBM Appscan" security software on one of my new Moodle 1.9.5 installations, and the only High level issue that was found was, the following.

• Session Identifier Not Updated – this vulnerability will need to be referred back to the Moodle Open Source Community as it needs to be resolved by changing code

I know there were issues with this in earlier versions of moodle (1.4.2 etc), but just wonderting if this is a major issue? or not? and if there are ways of resolving the ïssue, if it is an issue. Sorry to be so vague.

Thanks in advance, Richard Wallace

(Edited by Helen Foster to remove MS Word formatting - original submission Tuesday, 4 August 2009, 06:07 AM)

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Richard Wallace

Re: Session Identifier Not Updated ?? Security Issue?

by Petr Skoda -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I do no think this is a major issue because I do not know how to exploit it remotely. This problem will be finally fixed in 2.0. Unfortunately the changes could cause major regressions, so most probably it will not be backported into older releases.

If somebody knows how to exploit this remotely please report it directly into tracker - not here, thanks.

Petr
In reply to Petr Skoda

by Richard Wallace -
Petr

Thankyou so much for this, I really appreciate your fabulous work.

Cheers Richard Wallace
In reply to Petr Skoda

by Richard Wallace -
Petr

Not sure if this helps you out, it is the specific report from the IBM Rational Appscan. I realise now that if I had not allowed guest access this probably would have stopped this? Thanks again.

[1 of 3] Session Identifier Not Updated
Severity: High
Test Type: Application
Vulnerable URL: /moodle/calendar/export_execute.php
Remediation Tasks: Do not accept externally created session identifiers
Variant 1 of 1 [ID=14709]
The following may require user attention:
GET /moodle/calendar/export_execute.php?
preset_what=all&preset_time=recentupcoming&username=guest&authtoken=4bd60ee266e
f7fffe88ad5c519424fc708e7afbd HTTP/1.0
Cookie: MOODLEID_=%25ED%25C3%251CC%25B7d;
MoodleSessionTest=UpdK1fYAAa; MoodleSession=d2ac24dad34277fec2250f41f150b746
Accept: */*
Accept-Language: en-US
User-Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)

Referer: /moodle/calendar/view.php?
view=month&course=1&cal_d=1&cal_m=6&cal_y=2009
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Content-Length: 111
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2009 22:39:57 GMT
Server: Apache/2.0.63 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.0.63 OpenSSL/0.9.8e-fips-rhel5
mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 PHP/5.2.8
X-Powered-By: PHP/5.2.8
Expires: Thu, 01 Jan 1970 00:00:00GMT
Cache-Control: private, must-revalidate, pre-check=0, post-check=0, max-age=0
Pragma: no-cache
Last-Modified: Sun, 26 Jul 2009 22:39:58 GMT
Accept-Ranges: none
27/07/2009 1:34:56 PM 141/2327
Content-disposition: attachment; filename=icalexport.ics
Content-Type: text/calendar
Connection: close
BEGIN:VCALENDAR
METHOD:PUBLISH

VERSION:2.0
END:VCALENDAR
Validation In Response:
N/A
Reasoning:
One or more session identifiers were not updated in the response.
Session Identifier Not Updated
Application
WASC Threat Classification
Authorization: Session Fixation
http://www.webappsec.org/projects/threat/classes/session_fixation.shtml
CVE Reference(s)
N/A
Security Risks
It is possible to steal or manipulate customer session and cookies, which might be used to
impersonate a legitimate user, allowing the hacker to view or alter user records, and to perform
transactions as that user
Possible Causes
Insecure web application programming or configuration
Technical Description
According to WASC:
"Session Fixation is an attack technique that forces a user's session ID to an explicit value. Depending
on the functionality of the target web site, a number of techniques can be utilized to "fix" the session
ID value. These techniques range from Cross-site Scripting exploits to peppering the web site with
previously made HTTP requests. After a user's session ID has been fixed, the attacker waits for the
user to login, and then uses the predefined session ID value to assume the user's online identity.
In general, there are two types of session management systems for ID values. The first type is
"permissive" systems, that allow web browsers to specify any ID. The second type is "strict" systems,
that only accept server-side generated values. With permissive systems, arbitrary session IDs are
maintained without contact with the web site. Strict systems require that the attacker maintain the "trap
-session", with periodic web site contact, preventing inactivity timeouts.
Without active protection against session fixation, the attack can be mounted against any web site
using sessions to identify authenticated users. Web sites using session IDs are normally cookie-
based, but URLs and hidden form-fields are used as well. Unfortunately, cookie-based sessions are
the easiest to attack. Most of the currently identified attack methods are aimed toward the fixation of
cookies.
In contrast to stealing a user's session ID after they have logged into a web site, session fixation
provides a much wider window of opportunity. The active part of the attack takes place before the user
logs in.
The session fixation attack is normally a three step process:
1) Session Set-Up
The attacker sets up a "trap-session" for the target web site and obtains that session's ID, or the
attacker may select an arbitrary session ID used in the attack. In some cases, the established trap
session value must be maintained with repeated web site contact.
2) Session Fixation
The attacker introduces the trap session value into the user's browser and fixes the user's session ID.
3) Session Entrance
The attacker waits until the user logs into the target web svalue is used, the attacker may take over."
----------------------------------------------
If a session management system accepts session IDs in the form of a URL parameter, the following
request may force the session ID to the value of the URL parameter.
Code Snippet:
http://example/login.php?PHPSESSID=1234
According to WASC:
"Issuing a new session ID cookie value using a client-side script
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A Cross-Site Scripting vulnerability on any web site in the domain can be used to modify the current
cookie value.
Code Snippet:
http://example/<script>document.cookie="sessionid=1234;%20domain=.example.dom";</script>
Another similar example (using META tag injection):
http://example/<meta%20http-equiv=Set-Cookie%20content="sessionid=1234;%
20domain=.example.dom">
Issuing a cookie using an HTTP response header
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
The attacker forces the target web site, or any other site in the domain, to issue a session ID cookie.
This can be achieved in many ways:
- Breaking into a web server in the domain (e.g., a poorly maintained WAP server)
- Poisoning a user's DNS server, effectively adding the attacker's web server to the domain
- Setting up a malicious web server in the domain (e.g., on a workstation in Windows 2000 domain, all
workstations are also in the DNS domain)
- Exploiting an HTTP response splitting attack"
----------------------------------------------
Comparison of the session identifiers before and after the login process revealed they were not
updated, which means that user impersonation may be possible. Preliminary knowledge of the
session identifier value may enable a remote attacker to pose as a logged-in legitimate user.
The session identifier value can be obtained by utilizing a Cross-Site Scripting vulnerability, causing
the victim's browser to use a predefined session identifier when contacting the vulnerable site, or by
launching a Session Fixation attack that will cause the site to present a predefined session identifier to
the victim's browser.
General Fix Recommendations
Always generate a new session to which the user will log in if successfully authenticated.
Prevent user ability to manipulate session ID.
Do not accept session IDs provided by the user's browser at login
References and Relevant Links
"Session Fixation Vulnerability in Web-based Applications", By Mitja Kolsek - Acros Security
PHP Manual, Session Handling Functions, Sessions and security

by Petr Skoda -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
We have special protection against session fixation through url parameters since around Moodle 1.5 - do not remember exactly.

Other above described attack vectors need other vulnerabilities - in all of them you are able to alter browser cookies, but that would be a game over anyway, refreshing of session ID would not remove those problems - most probably there would be other ways to exploit them.

Petr
In reply to Petr Skoda

by Juan Segarra Montesinos -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Petr,

I've successfully performed a cookie-based session fixation against our test moodle installation. It's possible by combining social engineering and a common configuration (or a common set of services under a common domain) in Universities

Maybe it should be reconsidered Petr...

Regards smile

In reply to Juan Segarra Montesinos

by Petr Skoda -
If you managed to do that you have huge problem outside of Moodle, we can not undo that in PHP, sorry, there will always be a way to exploit it somehow, regenerating session id is not the solution of your problem.
In reply to Petr Skoda

Hi Petr smile

In PHP? No please ;) Using the same ID before and after login is not a good practice. Sorry but I still think problem here is session handling in moodle and cross-subdomain cooking (and someone trying to steal an exam big grin). Sadly we can't trust all the users we have in our University sad

We don't have the problem described in our production environment because our way to do authentication.

Probably regenerating the ID (and even validating it) will solve too the commented-in-code:

/// (...) prevent random user switching - observed on some PHP/Apache combinations,

Thanks for your time, great work and patience Petr smile

Juan.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Juan Segarra Montesinos

by Petr Skoda -
I agree it is not a good practice to keep the same SID before/after login, it was not my idea and I never liked it smile

I do not think it would prevent the random switching, but who knows - it could.

My main concern are regressions and incompatibility with some auth plugins. Hmmmm, maybe I could implement a new switch that adds this as an optional feature in 1.9.6...
In reply to Petr Skoda

by Petr Skoda -
I have committed the new option into MOODLE_19_STABLE and made the regeneration automatic in HEAD.

Please test and report any problems, thanks a lot everybody smile
In reply to Petr Skoda

Hi Petr smile

I've just installed a MOODLE_19_STABLE branch. I can see the option, but it does nothing... shy

The random user switching may be caused by the way PHP handles the deletion of cookies and an incorrectly configured client's clock ( more than one year before...) and an application accepting not server generated cookies. We saw this weird behavior in another system. Regenerating the id is a countermeaseure... maybe not in moodle... not tested yet smile

Thanks Petr smile

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Richard Wallace -
Petr

Thanks alot, I shall pass this on, again thanks for all your great work. Cheers Richard

by Vinod Kumar -

Dear All,

Can you please tell is this security issue "Session Identifier Not Updated" is resolved in version 1.9.5 ? I am really suffering because of this issue.

I really appreciate to all of you if you can help me on this issue without upgrade moodle latest version.

Thanks

Vinod Kumar

In reply to Vinod Kumar

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Moodle 1.9.5 was released almost exactly six years ago and extended security support for the entire 1.9 branch ended at the end of 2013. 

If you're concerned about security issues then you should not be running 1.9 at all, especially 1.9.5