Empty by line

Empty by line

by James Robertson -
Number of replies: 4

I just noticed that the by line in the forum posts on our site is blank (standard forums with student discussions and replies).  We are running 1.5+, using IE and Firefox.  Any suggestions about what I might have overlooked?

Thanks,

Jim Robertson.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to James Robertson

Re: Empty by line

by James Robertson -

Hmm...no response.  I'd better describe it more fully.  The user name on the discussion menu shows up fine (along with the "last post" date), but when you look at the discussion thread, the by-line (which here shows "by James Robertson - Wednesday, June 29 2005, 01:35 AM") shows "by -".  The name and date are both missing, but the picture is displayed.

Some setting is apparently wrong, but all the course settings appear normal.  They are mostly defaults and are similar to values on my localhost Moodle, but forums work fine on the localhost version.  It's only on the production version (web host shared server, access through CPanel) that we have the problem, and it may have appeared only after upgrading to 1.5 (not sure, but a similar problem with emails for new account confirmation and course registration definitiely appeared with the change to 1.5).

Can anyone suggest what the problem might be?  Or short of that, where I should look to see what variables aren't getting set?

Thanks,

Jim.

by James Robertson -

Still no response, I see.  The by-line in my localhost version (1.5 CVS daily update) seems to work correctly.  It's possible that the by-line on our production site has never worked correctly (started with 1.4.4+) -- hard to remember because we only had a production site for a couple of weeks (with very little use) before upgrading to 1.5.

A possibly related problem is that when the user list is updated, the forum post tracking resets so all posts go back to marked as unread.  At least I think this is incorrect.  If it's normal behavior, I would appreciate knowing it.  If anyone can see a pattern to all this and suggest a possible cause or solution, that would be great.

Thanks,

Jim.

by Rudy Scott -
Hi James,

Same problem here since the 1.5 upgrade.  Let me know if you find a solution.

Thanks!

In reply to Rudy Scott

by James Robertson -

No solution yet (as you can see), but thanks for letting me know I'm not the only one with this problem.

Jim.