DataForm issues in Moodle 2.7

DataForm issues in Moodle 2.7

by Rini Braat -
Number of replies: 19

Hi

First of all, I want to thank you for the DataForm module, this was exact what I was looking for.

However, I have some questions.

I installed DataForm on Moodle 2.7+ (Build: 20140605). It works fine, except for:

• I cannot duplicate a form I've created ("unknown error")
  • When a course with the dataform module is backup up, the backup hangs.

For all other things I tried, it seems to work fine.
My questions are: is a DataForm version for 2.7 to be expected and will these issues be resolved in that?

Kindest regards.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Rini Braat

Re: DataForm issues in Moodle 2.7

by Itamar Tzadok -

You're most welcome, Rini, and thank you for using the Dataform. This is the only way to make it better.  smile

Dataform 2.7 is expected later today.

Not entirely clear on what you mean by "I cannot duplicate a form I've created" but if you refer to duplicating a Dataform activity on the course page then it is the same issue as with the course backup and it should be resolved in the 2.7 release.

smile

In reply to Itamar Tzadok

by Rini Braat -

Hi Itamar,

Yes that is what I mean, duplicating the activity on a course page. Nice to hear the issus is solved!

Looking forward to be able to download the new version. Since I am quite new to moodle, is there a descriptiopn of the upgrade process?

Kindest regards and thanks for helping!

In reply to Rini Braat

by Itamar Tzadok -

Unless there are specific instructions, it's a standard plugin installation/upgrade. The 2.7 release is derived from the latest 2.6 (2.6.3+). It can be either installed from scratch or upgraded from any Dataform 2.6 version. Realease info for 2.7 should be updated soon at Dataform releasessmile

by Rini Braat -

Hi,

The new DataForm upgraded without any problem and issues are solved. Thanks for helping!

regards, Rini

In reply to Rini Braat

by Yong Ra -

After upgrading to 2.7 from 2.5, I am getting following dataform error and cannot get passed it. 

error/ddlunknowntable

Debug info: The table dataform_rules is not defined in file [dirroot]/mod/dataform/db/install.xml
Error code: ddlunknowntable
$a contents:
Stack trace:
  • line 390 of /lib/ddl/database_manager.php: ddl_exception thrown
  • line 382 of /mod/dataform/db/upgrade.php: call to database_manager->install_one_table_from_xmldb_file()
  • line 62 of /mod/dataform/db/upgrade.php: call to xmldb_dataform_upgrade_2012092002()
  • line 697 of /lib/upgradelib.php: call to xmldb_dataform_upgrade()
  • line 420 of /lib/upgradelib.php: call to upgrade_plugins_modules()
  • line 1615 of /lib/upgradelib.php: call to upgrade_plugins()
  • line 434 of /admin/index.php: call to upgrade_noncore()

I removed the dataform folder to get the update through. Can you help me what is happening? I installed th eversion from Moodle 2014073101 and got the error. I do not think I can downgrade. I tried that.

Thank you.

In reply to Yong Ra

by Itamar Tzadok -

Please start an issue in the Set: Dataform tracker at https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/CONTRIB/component/13430

The dataform version you had was not upgradable to the latest version, but this problem should not have occured.

As a quick workaround, try commenting out line 62 in mod/dataform/db/upgrade.php:

// xmldb_dataform_upgrade_2012092002($dbman, $oldversion);

hth smile

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

Dataform is blocking by upgrade to 2.7

by Tom Riherd -

I am in the process of upgrading from 2.6.2 to 2.7, or the latest download available and have negotiated most of the steps following the instructions, but I am now stopped cold due to the Dataform module.  The php versions and mysql versions are on the correct levels, I opened access to some of the IP addresses linked to moodle and even disabled the mod security to try to get this to work.  

I initially followed the instructions to upload the latest dataform plugin to the moodle/mod subdirectory (mod_dataform_moodle27_2014081400.zip) which generates the mod/dataform subdirectory when unzipped.

The upgrade failed, ending up at the plugins page.  I have since tried the following:

deleting the mod/dataform directory and then extracting: mod_dataform_moodle26_2014041700.zip into mod/dataform

deleting the mod/dataform directory and then extracting  : mod_dataform_moodle27_2014072100.zip into mod/dataform

deleting the mod/dataform directory and then extracting  : mod_dataform_moodle27_2014073100.zip into mod/dataform

The button to "Install this update" jumps to another screen which attempts to install the "new" version (after disabling the mod security on my website), but this also fails and I end up back here after getting a "sorry" error message about the mod being incompatible or corrupted or something like that.

I attempted to just scrap the upgrade altogether and deleted the /moodle subdirectory from my website and uploaded the copy of the whole folder I made before attempting the upgrade.  It wouldn't run at all, so I did all the upgrade steps over again and am stuck back at the same page.  At this point I want to push my way through the error message and get the site live again.

I can sacrifice my 2 dataforms that have been created and the 4 test entries just to get my moodle site back up and running and just re-install the Dataform plugin once I've back online.

How can I get around this Dataform error to make the upgrade finish?

**************************  E R R O R     M E S S A G E     S C R E E N **********************************

Plugin "mod_access" is defective or outdated, can not continue, sorry.

Debug info: Missing version.php
Error code: detectedbrokenplugin
Stack trace:
  • line 591 of /lib/upgradelib.php: plugin_defective_exception thrown

2.7 upgrade Dataform Error

In reply to Tom Riherd

Re: Dataform is blocking by upgrade to 2.7

by Itamar Tzadok -

The error message is for mod_access not mod_dataform. Try removing  mod/access folder and see if the installation continues. smile

by Tom Riherd -

After removing the folder at least I get a new error message although I'm still at the plugins page.

Anyway to make it forget that Dataform was ever installed so that I can just upgrade and then install it after the upgrade?  The version.php file has the proper dates in it, not 2014081400.  The only version that I ever used was the 2.6.2 version to try it out on a couple of forms.  The 20140814 plugin was never actually installed while using Moodle as a user or administrator, it was only copied into the mod/ directory as part of the upgrade process.  I don't really understand why the upgrade installer keeps referring to it.

Cannot downgrade mod_dataform from 2014081400 to 2014041700.

More information about this error

Debug info: 
Error code: cannotdowngrade

Stack trace:
  • line 726 of /lib/upgradelib.php: downgrade_exception thrown
In reply to Tom Riherd

by Itamar Tzadok -
Apparently it was installed and the message suggests that you have then replaced the the dataform files with an earlier version. You need to replace the dataform folder you have now with the 20140814 version so that the upgrade can finish and then delete the module properly via the the plugins management. smile

Re: Dataform is blocking my upgrade to 2.7

by Tom Riherd -

Well, at least there are no more red colored fields in Plugins check and the plugins count is down to 339.  This is indeed a strange and complex process to me.

Upgrade remains at a standstill, with the following error message, related to a missing version.php.  The file is not present in the subdirectory for mod/field, however, that subdirectory doesn't appear in the backup copy of my website that I downloaded before I started this upgrade.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

mod_feedback

Success

Plugin "mod_field" is defective or outdated, can not continue, sorry.

Debug info: Missing version.php
Error code: detectedbrokenplugin

Stack trace:
  • line 591 of /lib/upgradelib.php: plugin_defective_exception thrown

by Tom Riherd -

Should I delete the mod/fields subdirectory or copy the version.php file over from the mod/dataform subdirectory and place it in mod/fields?

In reply to Tom Riherd

by Itamar Tzadok -

I'm not familiar with a module called 'fields' or 'field'. The folder may not be a plugin at all but rather leftovers from an incomplete deletion of files or moving files from one folder to another. If this is not a plugin you can safely delete it. There is definitely no point in copying the dataform version.php to that folder. hth smile

by Tom Riherd -

Thanks.  I kept deleting another dozen mod/filenames each time the update stopped, checking the index.php and they were all had mention of dataform in their files.  The update then proceeded with only 1 more error.  It was:

Table "mnet_rpc" does not exist

After hitting the "continue" button, returning to the plugins screen and hitting the "upgrade" button again, the  update then seemed to go smoothly from that point on and eventually resulted in a screen to enter settings related to the new version.  Needless to say, when the screen "check for newer version" appeared, I didn't click on the button.

The remaining problem to be resolved is related to my students, most - but not all - have been replaced with anonymous names and email addresses.  I suppose I can delete all the students and reload them, there just won't be any assignment or grade history when they log on.

In reply to Tom Riherd

by Tom Riherd -

Correction - All the users are still there, but an anonymous username has been added for each one.  I deleted all the anonymous users with the bulk user function.  It appears that all the grade history is gone for the real students.  Fortunately, we've not done much yet.

Interesting side note:  If I select a student to edit options, the system displays MY username and MY password instead of the student's.

Upgrade complete, now getting Dataform error

by Tom Riherd -

After the update was complete, anonymous users cleared and things look good, I:

Uninstalled the Dataform plugin, with no errors given in the process.

Checked to make sure that mod/dataform no longer existed.

Installed the latest version of Dataform using Moodle 2.7.2 plugin manager.

All went well with no error messages

I then entered 6 text fields, a simple sort, and a view.  It worked like normal, only the new box for text/html seems to be missing coloring fonts, text wrap of html and a couple of other items.

Next I selected the activity like a student user would and entered a form.  This generated an error message.  I used another computer, signing on as a test student and received the same error, which kicks you all the way out to the home page.

I can't browse the forms as an administrator or a student to view or edit them.

The error message is:

Error reading from database

I've again deleted the DataForm plugin, with no errors noted.  Do you think I should try to run a lower version with 2.7.2 instead of the most recent one?

In reply to Yong Ra

by Willam Pious -

I also met with this problem.

I tried all the solutions provided but it did not work.

Then I renamed the moodle\mod\data\db\upgrade.php that was all. I proceeded with the upgrade.

it is as well as deleting the upgrade.php file in the mod/dataform/db/