A new reporting link at the forums

A new reporting link at the forums

by Guillermo Madero -
Number of replies: 20

Would a new "Report as double post" link be useful? Having it added, just like the "Report as spam" one, would alert forum moderators and allow them to merge any duplicated posts.

What do you think?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Guillermo Madero

Re: A new reporting link at the forums

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Guillermo,

Thanks for your suggestion. Rather than adding another link though, I'd encourage you to use the 'Report as spam' link to report any questionable forum posts, such as duplicates, posts which are obviously in the wrong forum, posts which say 'Hi' and nothing else etc. This would be very helpful. smile Perhaps the link text could be changed to 'Report to moderator'?

My reason for not wanting to add another reporting link is that the 'Report as spam' link is often clicked by accident, with people reporting their own posts as spam. wink

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Helen Foster

by Guillermo Madero -

Thanks Helen!

Well, yes, "Report to moderator" sounds great! If the link can be used for those other purposes, excellent, no need to add another smile

To avoid the accidental clicking, do you think that it would help if the link was moved to left?

new position

by dawn alderson -

Hello,

very important issue.

Scenario...am a newbie....want to express myself in a non-conformist manner...don't know the rules.

What is spam?

What are the rules?

Who is here to help me or mod me...or make my posts feel uncomfortable-will I be followed?

Left or right- either way-semantics important here. Front page-an idea also-prompt too-perhaps.

Otherwise you will drive em away!

Template proposed here- for the future too ;)

HH

D

In reply to dawn alderson

by Guillermo Madero -

If someone doesn't know what is spam... well...

Don't know the rules? Where are the rules? They only need to read here:

https://moodle.org/mod/page/view.php?id=7080

Driven away because a post was deleted because:

** It was spam? That would be the idea, wouldn't it?

** It was a duplicate post or it said nothing but "me too" or something to that effect? Wouldn't that be a bit too childish? Is this kindergarden?

I've seen people complain about how unusable/bad/etc. Moodle is, leave, post at other places regarding how unusable/bad/etc. Moodle is, and then return.

by dawn alderson -

Hey,

well, sorry to ruffle feathers...hope not too painful there.

It is one world-when we live in our own-and another to understand-what others experience-kindegarten....poof! Happy to go along with that though if it makes you happy Guillermo, primary colours, squares, shapes circles & TRIANGLES...laaaverly world...easy peasy...know it well...was immersed in it for years-then I moved on-still like to play those games though-fun!

A suggestion:

Site policy:

is currently here:

Moodle™ is a registered trademark.

Site policy | Privacy | Contact

bottom of home page.......

Not:

here:

https://moodle.org/

or

here:

https://moodle.org/course/       THE WELCOME PAGE!

fine...as we were then (got mod-ed! in terms of the next bit!) ha ha.

by Guillermo Madero -

ruffle feathers? not too painful there? if it makes me happy? play those games?

Wow! surprise Can someone translate all that into plain-English-for-foreigners? Yes

by dawn alderson -

am offline over the next few weeks-best mate home from China-with girlfriend-(we all sighed with relief!-he met someone) he he.

to add to the fun here re: SPAM

will let you into my world coz of course-everyone will get it...just like the concept of SPAM...

inductive

deductive

co-variance

axial coding

paradigm

and on....

SPAM may just be a processed form of meat for some....yep-gag aside.

To assume...makes an ass out of me and u...I am dizzy-going around in circles here-sure I have said that somewhere before....circles, squares and triangles....don't know the diff sometimes here he he.

Adios,

Dawn 

by Daniel Neis Araujo -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators

Hello,

as part of my final undergraduate work, i've used code from Global Search 2 (MDL-31989) to implement a list of related discussions (MDL-46429). It is a prototype implementation, but works well and is really simple.

The Lucene and Solr frameworks are also capable of classify spam, and i have used this feature to implement an automatic spam reporter that uses the "spam deletion block" to report the topics. As this setup is more complicated than the related discussions feature, I am still polishing it to get it to a shareable status, with instructions to set everything up.

Hope that you like,

Daniel

In reply to Daniel Neis Araujo

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Daniel, thanks for your work on MDL-46429. It looks great! smile

Guillermo, thanks for your feedback on changing the link text. You'll notice I have changed it to 'Report to moderator'.

In reply to Helen Foster

by Guillermo Madero -

Yes Helen, noticed! smile I'll guess that moderators will have a bit more work now tongueout

In reply to Helen Foster

by Guillermo Madero -

Hello Helen,

So far, when I have reported a post I have added a reply expressing the reason. Wouldn't it be better if the link was changed into a list box with the reasons to report:

* spam

* duplicate

* obsolete&unanswered (e.g. this one)

Yes, I just saw: "no-one needs drop-down menus like that", however, I think that we can agree that this suggestion hasn't anything to do with whether someone will answer or not, but with the fact that the reporting is to get a post (or an incipient useless thread) deleted; this, of course, explains why the list box wouldn't include options like "RTFM, Try Google, etc.", regardless of how much we would like to have them at times smile

by Guillermo Madero -

I did, I did tawt a puddy tat!!

Oh sorry, I meant to say, it's true, it's true no one needs drop-down menus like that!! tongueout

In reply to Helen Foster

by ben reynolds -

Hi Helen,

I'm wondering if there's a way to get that "Report to Moderator" link in a normal Moodle?

In reply to ben reynolds

by Daniel Neis Araujo -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators

Hello,

i think that the plugin used at moodle.org is https://moodle.org/plugins/view.php?plugin=block_spam_deletion

The last oficial version is for Moodle 2.4 but i have updated it for 2.7 sometime ago so you also take a look at https://github.com/danielneis/block-spam_deletion

Kind regards,

Daniel

In reply to Daniel Neis Araujo

by Dan Poltawski -

Hi Daniel,

It'd be great to get your changes into our repository - do you think you could prepare a pull request so that we can merge your changes and upload the new version to the plugins DB?

cheers,

Dan

In reply to Dan Poltawski

Re: spam deletion block

by Helen Foster -

Hi Ben,

As Daniel says, moodle.org is using the spam deletion block (customised a little more!)

Thanks Daniel for updating it and sharing the code. smile

by Derek Chirnside -

smile

Dawn, this question of yours slipped by me.

"What is Spam?"  smile  ??  I know it when I see it.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_know_it_when_I_see_it

Over on the Moodle LinkedIn forum a newbie posted an article on Anger management.  When I suggested this was in the wrong place she said 

Is it? Anyone who works is my audience.
However, thanks for the input; I'll consider it carefully.

She thinks we are an "audience to talk about anything SHE is interested in"  I'm the forum because I am interested in Moodle.  This is unintentional spam I suspect because it is so off topic.  

I'm also about to leave one other LinkedIn Moodle group since 4/21 of the last posts were on elearning IN GENERAL (since the moderator thinks we "need to know" all this stuff - even though he cross posts ad nauseum).  This is SPAM to me but not to him.

Dieting advice, cheap loans, dating, buy my cheap stuff, send me your bank account details (etc etc)is generally spam.  

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/S/spam.html

"Send me your password" is phishing.

You are probably no clearer having read this.

-Derek

In reply to Derek Chirnside

by dawn alderson -

Evening all smile

I am going to be honest for a change now-he he.

This thread has got me lost-I do not know what is actually going on here....and I am well-apparently a bit switched on...you know-know my stuff. So, hang on.......

got the wooly jumper on...the warm scarve, the finger-less gloves (mid august-hot here in UK) but I want to feel the cosyness of this forum (the community forum) I like the flavour smile.

Now, when on the topic of mod-ing peeps...for now-let us think about who and why gets mod-ed...I mean I know a load of guys who frequent football forums-newspaper forums- only to play around with getting their colourful language in the game-and they bet with each other who will get mod-ed first and have high hoots! Yep...they can read the Guardian...etc and play with the moderators.

Now....why is this mod-ing an important feature?

Does it say-we know better than you and so I have the power to mod you-ha ha...even though I may not have (all the time) interesting stuff to say myself-and no one mods me?

Or, does it say.....that feature is to let you know that you need to think twice before you post to maintain a sense of decorum.....spam is one thing to one person and another to a diff person.

Derek: anger management example.....whoosh! I would like to be angry...but the closest I come to expressing it is in the sea with my 8 year old son when we hulk smash the waves!  But my angry might be diff to others-but that is a diff thread eh.....there is apparently passive-agressive anger; snakey-slimey anger....and just dull idiotic peeps out there-who have no sense of self-or others existence-tis the truth!

worms-can-opened.....I have more to contribute here around this subject...and the associated links-e.g. https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=200642#p878602  I think Martin might be a nice feature back herre to be honest-knows his stuff-inside -out...but is busy.

Anyway-Legoland today and knackered....I will, however think about this....it needs unpicking and more to the point a shared understanding about who has power; who knows how to use it well-if the aim is to shut people up, or place superiority on to others-then that needs to be verified too.

Back tomorrow.

Hulk Smash!

D smile smile

by dawn alderson -

As promised am back :0)

But, bit hectic on the hoof- visiting family Cambridge/Hertford/London.  So, dipping in to say-I think my message has prob been delivered eh-any questions-then crack on here and I will get back to them when back in Wales next week.

Cheers,

D

by Derek Chirnside -

I read your post, then gave it a quick skim read to find a question:

"Why is mod-ing important?"

I'll assume mod-ing means moderating.

Lots of forums all over the place have different standards and rules and approaches.  A cluster of things usually.  The aim is to reduce spam.  Moderating is just one of the ways we try to do this.  Since machine spam detection is not perfect.

It's just a tool to reduce spam.

-Derek