How you you acutally publish something on Moodle.net?

How you you acutally publish something on Moodle.net?

by Tim Hunt -
Number of replies: 5
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I just made a fun course. A nice puzzle built out of conditional activities. I would like to share it on Moodle.net.

As far as I can see:

1. To publish the course on Moodle.net, my site needs to be registered.
  2. But my site (development site) is not accessible from the internet so that I cannot register it.
  3. And, I cannot register with another hub because of MDL-39353.
  4. There are no instructions about how to publish something to a Hub. Well, there are, but they are in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet, with a sign on the door saying beware of the leopard. They are not, for example, clearly linked from anywhere on moodle.net. I only found them when I did a final check before making this post. You need a complex search like this. Simple searches were not helpful.
  5. You cannot upload a course (moodle backup) directly to Moodle.net. You can only publish from a registered site.
  6. You cannot work-around this by transferring your backed-up course to demo.moodle.net and then publishing from there, because demo.moodle.net is not currently registered with moodle.net, but has been in the past.

This is a more difficule puzzle than the on I built!

Is anyone thinking about making sharing a bit easier, or even possible?

My silly puzzle course is attached. Feel free to use it under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike licence.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tim Hunt

Re: How you you acutally publish something on Moodle.net?

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Thanks Tim. Actually, the Sites team is working on making uploading courses and Moodle content much easier and much more user friendly in a Moodle.net revamp - one of those aspects being the possiblity of uploading your course directly. So it's in handwink 

In the meantime here is your course on Moodle.net - Chinese Rings Puzzzle

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Ah great! Thank you. Both for the long-term work of improving Moodle.net, which is probably the important thing, and also for the immediate upload of my course. The advantage of you uploading it is that you have written much better information about the course than I would have done.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Evan Peterson -

Mary,

I want to share an activity (not an entire course) on Moodle.net.  I cannot find the instructions on how to do that.  Could you help by providing a link to the instructions?  Thanks!

In reply to Evan Peterson

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello Eva. It depends on what activity it is. If it is quiz questions, glossary or database entries then you can add them to our content database here: https://moodle.net/mod/data/view.php?id=3

You will need to log in as for publishing a course. Alternatively, you can make a course with just that one activity and publish the whole course - including in your description that it is a single activity. 

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Evan Peterson -

Hello Mary, I found the instructions that say to use the "publish" button activated by System Admins to contribute content to Moodle.net.  Is there any other way of doing it without the publish button?  For instance, is it possible to backup a course and upload the backup files?