Time zone

Time zone

by michelle vigor -
Number of replies: 18

Hi,

I want to upload an assignment to moodle and I was wondering: if i'm at a different time zone than my teacher, and the assignment is due on a certain time (let's say 18:00 her time) and I upload the file at 18:00 my time (which is 8 hrs later), would it seem to her as though I uploaded it too late? 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to michelle vigor

Re: Time zone

by dawn alderson -

Michelle,

page 1. Make sure the quality of your work is up to the mark.

2. Any penalty for lateness needs to be transparent (a policy you share with the marker-under institutional remit).

3. Accept the penalty-if you are in the wrong.

simple language there for you.

HH

Dawn

In reply to dawn alderson

by michelle vigor -

Yeah. That's not what I asked. I asked a technical question. My schools policy about penaly for lateness is non of your business. You are not my teacher, and I don't need your help on that, thank you very much. 

I'm still curious to know weather or not I should contact my teacher about this. Does anyone have an answer that isn't preaching?  

Average of ratings: Useful (4)

by dawn alderson -

Helen, Mary Hi-are you there?

I couldn't find the netiquette guidelines for moodle.org? Moderation guidelines?

Reason being...I know of a number of young female-shy coders....wannabe moodlers/what-not...and this last post above is off-putting....yep-that is right! Not encouraging-for engagement-really-yes.

What do you think? I COULD BE WRONG :0)

Dawn

by Guillermo Madero -

Hi Michelle,

I'd say that the assignment due time must be displayed in your own local time. If the teacher set the assignment to be uploaded at 18:00 hrs then the assignment due time shown for you would have to be 10 am (i.e. your own local time). You should check and confirm that in your profile setting you have the correct setting to avoid any surprises. At least that's the logical behaviour I would expect. Anyway, I'd say it would be good to ask your teacher and do some testing to be sure.

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Guillermo Madero

by ben reynolds -

Hi,

You can set your local time in your profile.

We are an international organization, and our approach is to say, "Due at X hour in your time zone." By my reckoning, that's 8 hours before your school. We, of course, make adjustments. A date/time is less important to us than delivering good work.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)

by Guillermo Madero -

Hello Michelle,

Maybe the admins at your school might find useful to install this block:

https://moodle.org/plugins/view.php?plugin=block_simple_clock

Average of ratings: Useful (2)

by michelle vigor -

That's pretty smart!

I don't know if they'll be smart enpugh to use it, since I'm one of very few students that are currently out of the country on a student exchange program... Is it complicated to install?

by Guillermo Madero -

Hi Michelle,

Of course they'll be! If they installed Moodle and have it working, they can easily install a plugin smile

They could check the following page (specially the "See also" section):

http://docs.moodle.org/27/en/Blocks

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by dawn alderson -

Hola Guillermo,

nice to see you here-as per. Now, I am not getting this forum thread-my limitation of course, Can you help me understand please, again, as per ;)

I thought this thread was a joke...really I did and I shall tell you why...I thought we were playing around....so I was wrong to be playful...twas not funny...happy to do some lines or whatever ha ha.

OK my rationale follows:

Example

I am a student in the UK, and my uni is in Australia...8 hrs ahead in the winter months.  So, I read the uni's policy about submission guidelines and electronically email/post my assignments to my tutors. Thus, I simply look and see when the first assignment is due e.g. 28th November noon and note it has to be done via TI. Cool, all very clear so far.  Next, I work out in my head the latest point in time that I can submit that essay....being 4am on the 28th Nov UK time....I know I can submit anytime before that deadline.........

What has moodle got to do with this please?

thanks

Dawn 

In reply to dawn alderson

by Robert Brenstein -
The original poster was concerned whether Moodle will record her local time of a submission or the time where her school is. For a non-technical person, it is actually a valid question. The answer is of course that Moodle server always records its own time, but displays it (when possible) using the time zone set in the user profile. If the student did not change that in the profile, the displayed time, let's call it Moodle-time, will actually remain that of the school location regardless where the student is. The teacher will see the time of submission in her own Moodle-time. This can quickly get confusing big grin
Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Robert Brenstein

by Randy Thornton -
Picture of Documentation writers

Very good points.

If the site is set up properly then every user will see the time zone they are set to. Moodle keeps track of the 'absolute' (Unix epoch) time for all its internals in the database and when any date or time is presented on the screen, it translates it to the time zone that is set by the system or if allowed by to (as in the case of the OP) by the user.

However, that is "if the site is set up properly" -- many if not most Moodle sites I see (and I see a lot) do not have time zones set up properly. Very often admins do not understand these settings and do not set them correctly.

Classic mistakes are: not updating the timezone list, and/or using UTC when a regionalized time zone with correct summer time or daylight saving time automatic adjustments should be set; or forcing one single timezone on users thinking this is how to solve problems like the above for synchronizing assignment or quiz due dates/times, because they don't understand how Moodle adjusts for that already.

Also, in cases like the above, not just the student but also the teacher will need to be sure to have the proper time zone set. The system could be set correctly and the student could be set correctly, but the teacher could have incorrectly set (or more commonly, not set) their own timezone and may be using the system time zone which may be different from their own time zone.

It is not at all uncommon for people to fail to notice that the times in their site are off by an hour or even many hours. Even if they do notice, they do not always know how to adjust this in their profiles (and why should they?)

It can be confusing, but all software has to deal with this somehow, because the Earth is large and round ;)

In reply to Randy Thornton

by dawn alderson -

oh well.....I think I am beginning to get the gist of this-even with out Guillermo.

Gosh, a lot of words eh to explain about the different times that show here and there, and in moodle-time, like that actually...has a ring to it.

Anyway, a couple of things.

1. Original post:

I want to upload an assignment to moodle and I was wondering: if i'm at a different time zone than my teacher, and the assignment is due on a certain time (let's say 18:00 her time) and I upload the file at 18:00 my time (which is 8 hrs later), would it seem to her as though I uploaded it too late?

Tis to me like a Tom and Jerry chase-Jerry bangs Tom's tail with a hammer...what might happen?  Would it seem to Tom that he is in pain?

In other words....the teacher will have made all these decisions at the outset...and put it somewhere for transparency...the handbook is a good place to look.  As for user profile changes....then if required to be altered again-teacher would put this in the handbook-surely.

AS FOR THE FOLLOWING: 

Yeah. That's not what I asked. I asked a technical question. My schools policy about penaly for lateness is non of your business. You are not my teacher, and I don't need your help on that, thank you very much. 

I THINK IT WOULD BE A REAL LUXURY TO BE ABLE TO SPEAK TO PEOPLE IN LIFE LIKE THAT-I WOULD LOVE IT...TO DO THAT NOT JUST ONLINE BUT TO PEOPLE'S FACES......WOW!  And if it is acceptable here, I shall watch and learn and mimick such address in my communication...and practice to get it right...and if I do not succeed-then someone tell me how to do it....you know...be absoulutely down-right agressive in my communication. Because I may get a 'useful' for that too LOL!

Finally,

@Randy Also, in cases like the above, not just the student but also the teacher will need to be sure to have the proper time zone set. The system could be set correctly and the student could be set correctly, but the teacher could have incorrectly set (or more commonly, not set) their own timezone and may be using the system time zone which may be different from their own time zone. 

LET US HOPE THE TEACHER IN QUESTION KNOWS WHAT SHE/HE IS DOING EH...I WOULD LIKE TO THINK SO!

Cheers,

Dawn

In reply to Randy Thornton

by ben reynolds -

I came to be nit picky about Robert saying the time zone is where the school is. It is actually, by default, where the server is, which may not be where the school is.

But Randy's points about messed up server time are worth thinking about. If it were me, I would go to my profile > Edit Profile > Timezone > set to "Server's local time."  Update profile. Go to Activity Reports > Today's logs > see the date and time you updated profile. Compare to your own timezone. What's difference?

If difference is not what it should be, notify teacher so that, if admin fixes the difference without you knowing it, you won't be penalized.

If difference is correct, use world clock meeting planner to find the very latest you can submit.

In reply to ben reynolds

by Robert Brenstein -
Good catch, Ben. I implicitly assumed that the school runs its own server locally, but that does not have to be the case.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)