Grade API Plugins

Grade API Plugins

by Andy Gaskins -
Number of replies: 5

Hi All,  I am a novice to moodle and have read over alot of documentation. I was curious if someone could verify some things for me.

Background: we are looking to push grades to grade book externally from another system, this system is external training hosted by us.

My hope is.

1. we can create a custom plugin , easily installable, that exposes some web services for us to post to. It sounds like this is possible to expose some services via plugin to post to?

2. Am i correct that a course must exist for a grade book entry to be added? It sounded like gradebook entries are always tied to courses. so no free form entries?

Any tips or pointers appreciated? Links, existing plugins etc etc..

Thanks Andy

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Andy Gaskins

Re: Grade API Plugins

by Mathieu Petit-Clair -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of MoodleCloud team Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Andy, 

We are working on something similar here. We are using a local plugin where our web services are declared and contain the code which should receive the data and process it: create courses, activities, gradebook categories, input grades, etc.

I am not an expert in the gradebook, but my current understanding is that you will need the course to exist, users enrolled in the course as students and gradebook categories to hold the grades. Maybe an offline assignment (with mod/assign) could help.

Have a look at the developer documentation : 

The automatic documentation created by moodle helps a lot at first. More info under How to create and enable a web service

Hopefully this helps.
In reply to Andy Gaskins

by Mike Warner -

Hi Andy,

I know that it's been over a year, but I'm am investigating the ability to push grades from a non-Moodle LMS to Moodle.   Did you get this working?

Thanks,

Mike

In reply to Mike Warner

by Jean-Kristof Lord -

Hi,

We are looking to do the same thing. Have you any news on this subject?

Thanks

Jean-Kristof

In reply to Andy Gaskins

by Scott Dickson -

I find it odd that there are no out-of-the-box web services that support submitting/updating grades from an external provider.  Am I missing something as well?